Author Topic: Two entries for same game with different control layouts?  (Read 2575 times)

spedinfargo

• View Profile
Two entries for same game with different control layouts?
« on: January 17, 2017, 06:46:23 AM »
Wondering the best way to do something like this.  My kids love playing Gauntlet and Rampage but we only have a two-player controller layout.

I thought it would be nice to set up a couple entries for each game with different layout mappings so they can play other characters.  For instance I could have one for "Gauntlet Warrior and Valkyrie" and another one "Gauntlet Elf and Wizard" - the second one would load a different config so the joysticks map to Player 3 and Player 4 in MAME. 

Another option would be to just have one entry for Gauntlet and then have a sub-menu pop up when they select the game and they could choose the layout (characters) they want to play.

Any ideas on the easiest way to do this in Attract Mode?

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
Re: Two entries for same game with different control layouts?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:53:37 AM »
Which version of Gauntlet?

spedinfargo

• View Profile
Re: Two entries for same game with different control layouts?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 08:19:23 AM »
Which version of Gauntlet?

This is a good question - it's the original Gauntlet 4-player MAME ROM.  Since I posted the question, I see that many of these types of games have 2-player cab ROMs which allow the user to choose their characters in-game.  I'll play around with that.  That would take care of most of the games I'm interested in.

It looks like there isn't a variation of for Rampage, though.  I'll keep thinking about a multiple config option for that game, though.

Thanks.