Author Topic: Mame filename showing instead of "clean" name on list?  (Read 8381 times)

DietCoke

• View Profile
Mame filename showing instead of "clean" name on list?
« on: March 06, 2015, 10:18:43 PM »
One issue that I'm running into regardless of theme is the display of mame game names (say that five times) - normally galaga.zip maps to "Galaga" when displayed in a list.  I can tell there is some sort of interaction going on as some themes will show marquees that corresponds to the selected game.  How could I turn (example pulled out of butt) "polepos4" on the list to be "Pole Position IV"?  Any insight is appreciated!

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mame filename showing instead of "clean" name on list?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 11:25:13 PM »
One issue that I'm running into regardless of theme is the display of mame game names (say that five times) - normally galaga.zip maps to "Galaga" when displayed in a list.  I can tell there is some sort of interaction going on as some themes will show marquees that corresponds to the selected game.  How could I turn (example pulled out of butt) "polepos4" on the list to be "Pole Position IV"?  Any insight is appreciated!

If you are getting the filenames instead of the game titles in your list, you need to double check that you have the path to your copy of mame configured correctly in the emulator configuration.  You could also double check that your copy of mame is returning xml info when you run "mame -listxml" from the command line.  Once you confirm both those things, try re-generating the romlist in attract-mode and it should pick up the game titles.

DietCoke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 06:36:37 PM »
That was it - incorrect path to the Mame exe!  I was just working on the layout and thus hadn't even launched the games yet, thus the oversight there.  Thanks for the info! 

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 10:43:33 PM »
Also remember Attract Mode will get rid of the pesky parenthesis to make your list look better Press TAB then in general options make hide brackets set to yes. Also if you want to set up mess to play neo-geo AES use the mame.exe and add all the extra info files "catver.ini , nplayers.ini, ect.) use mame as the info source. You want to make a temporary folder with your neogeo games in it and point Attract mode to that one. Then build your list..after that change your exe to mess and make sure not to forget the aes -cart before the rom file name. Point your rom path back to your mame roms (and point your paths to your mame artwork if you want) then "exit". This will save you space (a minimum if 2.7 GB) and you don't have to use any space for artwork either! Yeah so you have it twice..but you get features in the AES (home) version you don't get in the MVS (arcade) version. You will have a "clean" list for them too!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 12:27:28 AM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 12:37:36 AM »
I made a little progy to fish out the neogeo roms for you. Windows users get the 7z file, for linux get the tar.gz. (FreeBSD the linux should work for you too.) Sorry Mac users I don't know anything about Mac...although I think Mac is unix based..you could try the linux version..but I have no idea. Let me know if you have any problems.
People want life easy..then complain about it

DietCoke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 05:27:15 PM »
Thanks akafox!