Author Topic: NOOB newbie questions, first time Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS .....need help please?  (Read 32422 times)

Bsoder52

• View Profile
opps...

# Generated by Attract-Mode 1.5.1
#
list   mame
   layout               attracman
   romlist              mame

sound
   sound_volume         100
   ambient_volume       100
   movie_volume         100

input_map
   exit                 Escape
   select               LControl
   select               Return
   configure            Tab
   prev_display         Left
   next_display         Right
   up                   Up
   down                 Down

general
   language             en
   exit_command         
   default_font         FreeSans
   font_path            /usr/share/fonts/;$HOME/.fonts/
   screen_saver_timeout 600
   displays_menu_exit   yes
   hide_brackets        no
   autolaunch_last_game no
   confirm_favourites   no
   mouse_threshold      10
   joystick_threshold   75
   window_mode          default
   filter_wrap_mode     default
   track_usage          yes
   accelerate_selection yes
   selection_speed_ms   40

akafox

• View Profile
This time it was my fault. I need the mame.cfg in your .attract/emulators folder
People want life easy..then complain about it

akafox

• View Profile
Try to make your set up like mine:

Code: [Select]
executable           mame
args                 [name]
rompath              $HOME/.mame/roms/
romext               .zip
info_source          mame

Remember Start attract mode..press the TAB key, then in the emulators selection go to mame then open it. Press enter to highlight then type the information above. Except for info_source you have to press up or down to select. (or you can copy and paste it into a blank file, name it "mame.cfg" and then toss it into /.attract/emulators..this will overwrite your original!). If that doesn't work..still post you mame.cfg and i'll look at it.

Bsoder52

• View Profile
Got it working!  Only problem is that a good half of the roms aren't working with this version of Mame.  Is there a good tool to use to audit the working/non-working rom list for Linux? Or should I just do it manually?

thanks again for all the help!

akafox

• View Profile
Yes actually. The best one is called CLRMamepro. http://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/ You'll need a .dat file for your version of mame here http://www.progettosnaps.net/dats/ (look under the heading "MAME.dats"). A help website for it is here http://mameworld.info/easyemu/clrmameguide/clrmame-guide.html To see your version of mame move the highlight to the "configure general inputs" or "exit" at the bottom..the very bottom will tell you the version of mame you have...the dat file you get needs to be one that matches your version of mame. CLRMamePro should work under WINE in linux. You can use it in windows of course if that way is easier..you'll just have to copy all the new ones over to your linux box. Note: You may not be able to fix any games if your set is really old versus a newer version of mame. They rename, add, delete, and change files sometimes with every release. WARNING! MAKE A BACK UP YOUR ROMS BEFORE YOU RUN THIS PROGRAM! Just in case...(you don't want to have to start over like I did ;) ) As to finding a new or update set..you are on your own. Number one rule of all forums is you NEVER post rom sites. You are free to google on your own however.

Bsoder52

• View Profile
ok, i'm running 0.152 version of MAME.  I got the .DAT file and the CMP4018.exe file, but app grid won't open neither...says my app grid is not found.  So I went to my download center and uninstalled app grid and reinstalled app grid, but still getting the same error.  Wierd! Stuck again.  Life of a newbie.

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
Why not use the Mame in Ubuntu repositories?

akafox

• View Profile
nitro is right Bosder. Here is the best way (I think) to do just that. Now that you know how to open a terminal..do that first. In the terminal type "sudo apt-get update" (remember no  quotes!) enter your password (wait for it to finish) then type "sudo apt-get install *mame" enter your password..press y then enter. (You can install mess the same way you did mame if you want.) That should install the newest mame with some "support files" (catver.ini ect). if you get and error typing *mame just type mame (no asterisk). Also you can type "sudo apt-get install wine" so that you can run CLRMame Pro in linux. (right click on clrmamepro and choose "run with wine program loader" or something like that.)

and nirto -
I am still using mame 1.52 on one of my machines works fine. I am using that one because I have it patched. 1.52-1.56 had meoery leaks so I skipped them and 1.57-through 1.60 I can't seem to compile. Says I am missing SDL but I do have it installed *shrugs*  :o

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
Does Ubuntu still have synoptic or some other package handler?
That would make things easier.

.157 was the last no nag / highscore patched version I was able to compile.
I think I had to install every sdl2 Dev library to get it to work.

akafox

• View Profile
Does Ubuntu still have synoptic or some other package handler?
That would make things easier.

Yeah that's what I thought at first too. But then I thought no just type it all in a the console but yeah maybe you're right.

So to do that type "sudo apt-get update" then hit enter..let it do it's thing..then type "sudo apt-get install synaptic" then press enter. After installing synaptic you can close the console (terminal) Then start synaptic (click the dash button and search for synaptic). start that. enter your password. In synaptic you can search for mame and mess and wine and install them all in "one click". (right click the package name and then choose install..it will mark it green) Also while you are there you can install other emulators if you want. Then after you have done all that you click apply and it will install everything at once. This program is like the ubuntu store..but faster and you have more control.

.157 was the last no nag / highscore patched version I was able to compile.
I think I had to install every sdl2 Dev library to get it to work.

I swear I have all of them installed. *sigh* I'll look again. Yeah I think they changed the tools on 1.58 and up. I'd like to do it because I want to try the multi-cart neogeo emulation..works really well. Thought it would be cool to set up a neogeo cab like that :)

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
I could make my binary of. 157 available on my Dropbox if you want.

akafox

• View Profile
That would be great thanks! :) Do they have a patch like that for mess I wonder?

Bsoder52

• View Profile
I am running MAME out of the Ubunto Repositories... I think.  I downloaded it right out of the Ubunto download center.  Had no idea what version it was until I installed it though.

Bsoder52

• View Profile
I'll try the terminal commands and see if I can get it updated.

Bsoder52

• View Profile
Ran terminal commands it it tells me I have the newest version.  :)
I"ll just run the mame rom manager program on my windows machine as a work around for the time being.