Author Topic: InstantSheller in Win7 - Need to Hide Batch Command Prompt  (Read 10432 times)

albert_c

• View Profile
InstantSheller in Win7 - Need to Hide Batch Command Prompt
« on: February 14, 2018, 07:50:15 PM »
I have InstantSheller working to shell to a batch file to launch Attract Mode as instructed here. Want to take this a step further and hide the launching of the batch file which is visible just before AM loads. This is cosmetic but makes a difference with presentation in a cab build.

Been reading about how to achieve this for other applications and have been unsuccessful. What is mentioned is to edit the batch file to run it minimized. Or the other way is to use a VBS script to launch the batch file; thus the batch file shall be hidden by the VBS script. I have been unsuccessul in applying either method. I really know nothing about scripting other than following the work layed down by others and copy/pasting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Took me 3 years to just to get HyperSpin to work. Then spent the past 4 years suffering through all the bugs that will never be fixed. After the few days it took to figure out Attract Mode, I have deleted my HyperSpin directory. Bye HyperSpin, bye!

hermine.potter

• View Profile
Re: InstantSheller in Win7 - Need to Hide Batch Command Prompt
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 10:20:23 PM »
@albert_c
there is a bat to exe converter. you can compile your script as an invisible exe.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 02:09:02 PM by hermine.potter »
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

albert_c

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 11:43:39 PM »
Interesting. I'll give it a shot and update this thread.

One more question before I get to that however; is there a definitive guide for cab building (15kkhz/CGA/Arcade Monitor-type) located anywhere on this site or Youtube? I have lots of expertise in this area and wouldn't mind contributing in that manner. But don't want to duplicate efforts either.
Took me 3 years to just to get HyperSpin to work. Then spent the past 4 years suffering through all the bugs that will never be fixed. After the few days it took to figure out Attract Mode, I have deleted my HyperSpin directory. Bye HyperSpin, bye!

hermine.potter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 12:06:19 AM »
@albert_c
community is asking questions and answers to AM frontend, because this is the main focus ^-^
somebody started here a thread.

albert_c

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 12:40:41 AM »
Alright. I'll put a video series together on Youtube then. Won't link to it here. But will give a shout out to Attract Mode appropriately.

hermine.potter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 01:08:26 AM »
@albert_c
it's an exiting topic an i have some ideas too.
an section emulators already exists.
maybe an admin or mod could create a new section for cab building?!

albert_c

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 02:52:54 AM »
@albert_c
it's an exiting topic an i have some ideas too.
an section emulators already exists.
maybe an admin or mod could create a new section for cab building?!

I am up for contributing to such a sub-forum. I started out with MAME emulation and HyperSpin, then graduated to arcade collecting. I now have over 20 CRT-based arcade cabs. Wouldn't mind contributing to give back to this community.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 03:45:11 AM »
Why not just set attract as shell in registry?

albert_c

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 12:10:17 PM »

Shelling directly to "attract.exe" (or using InstantSheller to do that) creates a weird conflict where it seems Attract Mode is launched with the settings menu open.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 05:36:23 PM »

Shelling directly to "attract.exe" (or using InstantSheller to do that) creates a weird conflict where it seems Attract Mode is launched with the settings menu open.

Code: [Select]
Keils-iMac:~ keiljr$ /Applications/Attract.app/Contents/MacOS/attract -c /Users/keiljr/.attract
Edit paths as appropriate for your windows install. Problem solved.

albert_c

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 08:05:45 PM »

Code: [Select]
Keils-iMac:~ keiljr$ /Applications/Attract.app/Contents/MacOS/attract -c /Users/keiljr/.attract
Edit paths as appropriate for your windows install. Problem solved.

that code you posted is for MacOS. Am I missing something here? What is the corresponding action or change needed for Windows 7? Also, instantSheller does things such as hides parts of Windows which improves the presentation. Allows for boot logos. Sort of makes the presentation better. InstantSheller is not really avoidable for a cab build.

albert_c

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 04:46:47 AM »
Ahh, k. I see. So for my install, I have to change the shell in regedit to:

"C:\Attract Mode\attract.exe -c C:\Attract Mode"

I'll give this a shot and see what happens.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 06:08:12 AM »
Ahh, k. I see. So for my install, I have to change the shell in regedit to:

"C:\Attract Mode\attract.exe -c C:\Attract Mode"

I'll give this a shot and see what happens.

That’s right. ^^^^

Everything done in instasheller can be done without. Instasheller is no longer maintained so it doesn’t work on newer windows versions. I have win 10 100% hidden without instasheller. Legit 100%.

albert_c

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 11:18:11 AM »
Hmm, changing the shell key in regedit isn't working :/. I'll give the bat-to-exe thing a shot.

albert_c

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 04:10:13 PM »
Burrrr, so I did get it to work as desired with the BAT-to-EXE converter posted earlier by @hermine.potter. Now the command console does not appear just before AM loads. AM launches fine. I checked to make sure that focus wasn't stolen after launching a few games. Seems to be all good and accomplishes what I set out to do. Should be noted that I can set InstantSheller to shell to the exe I created, or works by making the registry change manually.

But but but but, adding in this entry to the registry didn't work for me at all:

C:\Attract Mode\attract.exe -c C:\Attract Mode

Wasn't from a lack of trying either. Trying from normal Windows Explorer after undoing changes from InstantSheller didn't work. Tried it without the 'C:\Attract Mode' suffix at the end of the entry, and with it. With the backslash at the end and without it. With quotations, without them. Made the changes after using InstantSheller and bringing up regedit. Typed in the entry precisely, copied the directory and exe file name from the properties menu and explorer bar even. Nothing worked with this entry. Not very fun doing this on a CGA 15khz arcade monitor, I might add.

Perhaps my installation of Windows for this build has been flumoxed with enough where this would not work any longer. So I'll save investigating getting shelling to work using that registry entry for the next build which will be sometime next week.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 04:12:57 PM by albert_c »