Author Topic: Looking for a prebuilt RPI3B+ IMG SINGLE ROM Load directly to one MAME game.  (Read 17352 times)

pibuilder

• View Profile
Hello I'm Looking for a prebuilt compatible for a RPI3B+ IMG SINGLE ROM Load directly to one MAME game. I want one for a horizontal set up and one for a vertical setup not sure if that matters. Primarily my focus would be for a horizontal game.

As an example I want it to hide all of the Raspberry boot screens, I DO want it to display my custom Splash screen, Automatically launching ONE Single game / loading it NO MENUS.

Ideally It's an image where I can change / modify in the future that particular game with ease should I build different games with the same SINGLE ROM / direct load.

Favdeacon

• View Profile
You could modify the Retropie image, its Docs describe how to disable boot messages and how to set the splash screen. Attract-mode is part of its experimental packages, but you'd have to do its setup yourself.

edit: To boot into AM instead of Retropie's standard frontend Emulation Station, you just have to edit the file /opt/retropie/configs/all/autostart.sh and replace the command to start Emulation Station to AM's starting command.

There was an attempt to build an AM-based Retropie image, but it has not been updated for two years, and the Retropie forum rules state that only the official, unmodified Retropie image will be supported there (edit: they will help users to modify the official setup themselves, though).

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 01:07:42 AM by Favdeacon »

pibuilder

• View Profile
At the end of the day I'm sure someone has an .img file they can share I DON'T want any ROMs included on it just so it's easy enough for me to add a specific 1x rom to the folder, edit a line of text in a config file. My biggest concern is turn on the Rpi3B+ & having it load directly into the MAME game with NO MENU, almost as if it was an original PCB is what I'm looking to essentially accomplish. 

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
sounds kinda neet....  mini arcade pcb's
baby jama boards :P
help a friend....

Favdeacon

• View Profile
My biggest concern is turn on the Rpi3B+ & having it load directly into the MAME game with NO MENU, almost as if it was an original PCB is what I'm looking to essentially accomplish.

That can be also done quite easily with Retropie.
  • Boot Retropie once into Emulation Station and set up your controller(s).
  • Put your ROM file in the directory /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade.
  • Edit the config file /opt/retropie/configs/all/autostart.sh, put a "#" before emulationstation #auto so that it reads #emulationstation #auto. This will disable the start of Emulation Station at boot time.
  • Add this line after #emulationstation #auto with the name of your ROM file instead of NAMEOFYOURROMFILE:
Code: [Select]
/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ arcade '/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/NAMEOFYOURROMFILE'

Retropie should boot directly into this game then. If you ever want to boot into Emulation Station again, just remove the "#" that you put before its starting line in the autostart.sh and put a "#" before the added line instead to stop it from starting the game. The "#" marks a line as a comment that should not be executed.

pibuilder

• View Profile
My biggest concern is turn on the Rpi3B+ & having it load directly into the MAME game with NO MENU, almost as if it was an original PCB is what I'm looking to essentially accomplish.

That can be also done quite easily with Retropie.
  • Boot Retropie once into Emulation Station and set up your controller(s).
  • Put your ROM file in the directory /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade.
  • Edit the config file /opt/retropie/configs/all/autostart.sh, put a "#" before emulationstation #auto so that it reads #emulationstation #auto. This will disable the start of Emulation Station at boot time.
  • Add this line after #emulationstation #auto with the name of your ROM file instead of NAMEOFYOURROMFILE:
/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ arcade '/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/NAMEOFYOURROMFILE'

Retropie should boot directly into this game then. If you ever want to boot into Emulation Station again, just remove the "#" that you put before its starting line in the autostart.sh and put a "#" before the added line instead to stop it from starting the game. The "#" marks a line as a comment that should not be executed.

Can you or someone please post this pre-built image file without any roms of course possibly including Gridlee a legal rom as an example the problem is I already have a pre-built image with loads of games and the memory card is super maxed out with video snaps , marquee images or nonsense which I don't want any of that. Hopefully someone has a clean pre-built image they can share compatible with the rpi3b+.

Currently my autostart.sh looks like this:
setterm -cursor off
stty -echo
clear
attract 2>&1 | grep -o $'\033\[2J'

After placing in the text as you recommended It still loads to my wheel / a menu within Attract Mode & DOES NOT launch the game directly. Can you or anyone else notice any mistakes within this autostart.sh:

setterm -cursor off
stty -echo
clear
attract 2>&1 | grep -o $'\033\[2J'
#emulationstation #auto
opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ arcade '/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/galaga'
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:37:01 PM by pibuilder »

Favdeacon

• View Profile
Can you or someone please post this pre-built image file without any roms of course possibly including Gridlee a legal rom as an example the problem is I already have a pre-built image with loads of games and the memory card is super maxed out with video snaps , marquee images or nonsense which I don't want any of that. Hopefully someone has a clean pre-built image they can share compatible with the rpi3b+.
Sorry, I can only help you modify the official Retropie image, if you want to try that route.

The official image is available here: https://retropie.org.uk/download/

After placing in the text as you recommended It still loads to my wheel / a menu within Attract Mode & DOES NOT launch the game directly. Can you or anyone else notice any mistakes within this autostart.sh:
Your autostart.sh is completely different from the official Retropie autostart.sh. The latter only contains a single line "emulationstation #auto". My instructions are meant for that one. Thus, just adding my lines to your autostart.sh isn't going to do much good. You should either delete the old content (be sure to backup the file first!) or put an "#" before every line in it.

Also, you forgot a "/" at the start of the last line. It has to begin with "/opt/..." and not "opt/..."

Finally, you only used "galaga" as the ROMs filename. Does it really have no extension like ".zip" or similar? You have to use the whole filename including any extension.

Having said all that, I really recommend that you work from scratch with the official Retropie image instead of your custom made one, as you can't be sure in what ways it differs from the official one, which could create problems if you apply a modification that's meant for the official image.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 11:25:03 AM by Favdeacon »

pibuilder

• View Profile

Having said all that, I really recommend that you work from scratch with the official Retropie image instead of your custom made one, as you can't be sure in what ways it differs from the official one, which could create problems if you apply a modification that's meant for the official image.

Initially I tried adding the / & the .zip with what I left out to my modded / custom .img and still couldn't get things going (the single ROM load / launch no menu etc).

With that being said I'm doing a FRESH build on my rpi3b+ as you suggested. So far:

-I downloaded & installed 4.4 retro pi...
-Emulation station up and running, I have wifi setup & working, [added the ROM(s) to the proper folder]
-Despite the fact that I only want ONE single rom I loaded most of .78 MAME set so hopefully once I get this going I can just modify the line of text to correspond to the ONE rom I want to launch.
-TESTED game launch using regular emulation station, game(s) load fine.
-my autostart.sh only currently shows the following without me modifying it:
emulationstation #auto

Next I added in what you said to do and my autostart.sh file now looks like this:
#emulationstation #auto
/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ arcade '/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/tmnt.zip'

WORKS ! Loads right to TMNT ! thanks !

Now my focus is to:
-HIDE bootup text / raspberry logo's. (Minor as machines would be turned on prior to people / the masses seeing it but still want to Hide that stuff anyways with the exception of my own custom splash.
-Major thing is I need a SAFE SHUTDOWN single press with a hidden inside cabinet micro switch to leave the ROM and shut it down rather than launching it back to any menu, I literally want it to SHUTDOWN from that single ROM.  It can be "ESC" or anything on the IPAC so the keystroke doesn't matter i.e. it could be "shift", F8" Whatever... but when hitting it I need it to safely shut the pi down to prevent corruption of the sd card.

Favdeacon

• View Profile
My pleasure. :) And thanks for the step-by-step description, it may help others doing the same. As for your remaining questions:

The Retropie Docs describe how to disable the boot text here: https://retropie.org.uk/docs/FAQ/#how-do-i-hide-the-boot-text

You can disable the splash screen in the Retropie Setup > Configuration / tools > splashscreen

Some links about the shutdown button:It may be a good idea to join the Retropie forum and ask there about it, because I have no practical experience in such a button. Since you're using the official Retropie image now, they will give you support for it. I'm called Clyde there, by the way.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 12:33:54 PM by Favdeacon »

pibuilder

• View Profile
My pleasure. :) And thanks for the step-by-step description, it may help others doing the same. As for your remaining questions:

The Retropie Docs describe how to disable the boot text here: https://retropie.org.uk/docs/FAQ/#how-do-i-hide-the-boot-text

prior to branching off and signing up to another site you've been extremely helpful and hopefully you can aid me on these last few things...OK I went to the link you recommended [https://retropie.org.uk/docs/FAQ/#how-do-i-hide-the-boot-text], perhaps I'm doing something wrong or not typing it in the proper spot but: When I exit a game it takes me to the pi's "terminal text". Within the link you provided it says to type in just to start out
logo.nologo: turns off raspberry(s) at boot

However when I try that first I'm getting this error within the terminal text (says command not found):
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 12:43:17 PM by pibuilder »

Favdeacon

• View Profile
You have to add those options to the file /boot/cmdline.txt, or modify them if they are already present.

For example, my cmdline.txt looks like this:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=f2d3cb4f-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait loglevel=3 consoleblank=0 plymouth.enable=0
Now I would add the options logo.nologo and quiet to the end of the line:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=f2d3cb4f-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait loglevel=3 consoleblank=0 plymouth.enable=0 logo.nologo quiet
You can do that quickly by entering this command in the text console:

sudo echo " logo.nologo quiet" >> /boot/cmdline.txt

sudo executes the following command with root (i.e. administrator) permissions, because all files in /boot are owned by root and can't be modified by Retropie's standard user "pi". echo writes the following text somewhere, in this case to /boot/cmdline.txt. The >> does append the text to the file (a single > would overwrite the whole file).

Mind the single space before logo.nologo, so that the option will be separated by a space from the end of the existing line. That said, be careful to enter all my commands exactly as written to avoid more or less severe mistakes.

Some more commands for the console (again, all text behind a "#" is just a comment):

# edit the file in a rudimentary editor, exit it with ctrl+x
sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
# restart your game (at least I think so)
exit
# start Emulation Station
emulationstation
# restart the Pi
sudo reboot
# shutdown the Pi
sudo halt
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:50:31 PM by Favdeacon »

pibuilder

• View Profile
So I'm using winSCP and I'm able to modify other things however if I touch the cmdline.txt file I can't make any changes. Won't even let me delete the file....

Permission denied error:

When trying to type in what you said into the terminal
sudo echo " logo.nologo quiet" >> /boot/cmdline.txt
I actually copied / pasted it in PuTTy... I got this error:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 03:59:36 PM by pibuilder »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
1. You can't modify the cmdline.txt file because the /boot volume is mounted as read only. Remount the /boot volume as read/write to modify the cmdline.txt.
sudo mount /boot -rw -o remount

2. To have your system shutdown after you use your emulator "exit" button(s). Change your autostart.sh to this
#emulationstation #auto
/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 _SYS_ arcade '/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/arcade/tmnt.zip'
sudo poweroff

3. Why are you asking these questions here? This has absolutely nothing to do with Attract-Mode. I don't mind but it doesn't make much sense.

Update - I was incorrect in saying that the /boot volume is mounted as read only in #1 above. I mixed up this OS for another popular Pi OS that does make the boot volume read only. You can just do this instead.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:23:22 PM by progets »

Favdeacon

• View Profile
So I'm using winSCP and I'm able to modify other things however if I touch the cmdline.txt file I can't make any changes. Won't even let me delete the file....

Those files can only be modified (or deleted) with root permissions, which WinSCP doesn't have since it logs in as the normal user "pi". You would need a SCP (Secure CoPy) tool that can execute sudo on the remote system do edit those files.

I actually copied / pasted it in PuTTy... I got this error:

Oops, my mistake, sorry. The redirection via ">>" doesn't get the root permissions we gave echo via sudo. You'll have to write it like this:
sudo su -c "echo ' logo.nologo quiet' >> /boot/cmdline.txt"

Alternatively, you can edit the file manually with sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt. You exit the editor with ctrl+x, then answer the question to write the file with "y" and confirm the filename with enter.

A third option would be to copy the file as user pi, then either use the first echo command or edit it with WinSCP, and then copy it back as root:
# copy the file as pi to /tmp
cp /boot/cmdline.txt /tmp
# append the options via echo (this time without sudo) or edit it with WinSCP
echo " logo.nologo quiet" >> /tmp/cmdline.txt
# copy it back to /boot WITH sudo, so it belongs to root again
sudo cp /tmp/cmdline.txt /boot

… progets beat me to it by a fews minutes while I was writing this. I'll post my reply anyway since we offer different solutions. :)

Favdeacon

• View Profile
1. You can't modify the cmdline.txt file because the /boot volume is mounted as read only. Remount the /boot volume as read/write to modify the cmdline.txt.

This won't work in Retropie (edit: tested it – it doesn't), because /boot is already mounted as rw there, but only root has write permissions in it.

3. Why are you asking these questions here? This has absolutely nothing to do with Attract-Mode. I don't mind but it doesn't make much sense.

That's why I suggested to continue on https://retropie.org.uk/forum/. :) But I also don't mind to answer any questions I can here.