Attract-Mode Support > General

Looking to design a super simple theme - is attract mode right for this?

(1/5) > >>

keithcorcoran:
I'm wanting to put a Pi into a cocktail cabinet I have set up for 4 players... essentially a Track and Field conversion. (cabinet used to be a Golden Tee)

I am converting it to this.. which you can see looks similar...

I will likely only have 3 games on this machine (Track and Field, Hyper Sports, '88 Games)  (unless I can find other horizontal games that can take advantage of a 3 button control panel)

I would like to have the front end boot into a game selection screen similar to Track and Field animation with the athletes running across the bottom.

I've not used attract mode (or a Pi) but just installed it, along with an older MAME (.75) and these 3 games and it seems to be working. I'd want to use a no-nag version of MAME and hide as much of the Pi mame/game loading as possible.  Initial boot is fine.

I'm likely using an older Pi with RCA output since I have a few RCA to CGA arcade monitor conversion boards available as I want to output this onto the monitor already in the cabinet.

I'm a graphic/interactive designer so graphics would be no problem. Never used Squirrel scripting but I'm sure i could figure it out for something simple like this.

Where would I start?

I assume I'd create a video that would run along the bottom of the screen with static placement for the running athletes. 
Game logos as seperate images which slide in form left or right depending on which button you push.

Beyond that, I'm a total newb.

zpaolo11x:
This is pretty easy to do in AM, as long as you have an animation of the running athletes to place as a background (otherwise you'll have to stick to a fixed image). To make things a bit more stylish you could use Oomek carrier module to smoothly scroll through your game titles, using "wheel" art that you can find even at higher resolution on the net.

keilmillerjr:
Newer pi’s have composite too! You need an a/v breakout cable. It’s not original arcade crt?

Super easy to design your front end. You can record you playing a rom with mame. Crop it using handbrake. Try the following:

$ mame rom -str 90 -aviwrite example.avi

keithcorcoran:
It's the original arcade monitor there but I wasn't sure if Pi could output to 15k natively.
Also, I'm using an OLD Pi... which i literally just opened, like a time capsule, today.  (See pic)

Which I'm hoping I can use so I don't have to buy a new one. (feel free to let me know if this thing looks unusable for what I'm trying to do)

The way you describe the oomek carrier module is probably what I'm looking for along with the mp4 background video. I'll be able to rip a video for looping and prep the PNGs for the titles how I want them.

So is there a theme to start tryign to reverse engineer that would do something like this or a tutorial to get me started?

Also, if anyone has any info on getting a 15khz signal from the Pi to th earcade monitor without a converter, I'd appreciate it.  I'll keep googling.

keilmillerjr:
I do 15khz via composite. Will share my raspbian image soon. Been trying to wrap up a few other things first. You might want to look into something like a jpac and using gert vga 666.? That’s a place to start. I only use mine with crt tv’s. I have a pc hooked up to my arcade crt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version