Author Topic: BEST BUILD IMAGES FOR ATTRACT MODE  (Read 4721 times)

iirishguyi

• View Profile
BEST BUILD IMAGES FOR ATTRACT MODE
« on: January 22, 2019, 01:00:49 PM »
Just got my first Raspberry pi 3B and wanting to know what the best build images are that are out there...? What are you guys currently using and what do you suggest?I would like it if the build had lots of roms, artwork/images ,systems/consoles already installed. So basically the whole sha bang! lol preferably a 128gb image. Thanks!

rwebb616

• View Profile
Re: BEST BUILD IMAGES FOR ATTRACT MODE
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 02:12:49 PM »
ArcadePunks have a bunch of images for the Raspberry Pi.  They typically don't include the roms - that is up to you to find/copy to the image.  It will usually include all the artwork, systems etc.  Project HyperPie uses Attract Mode - that is what I started with then I just started fresh and set it up myself starting from base install of RetroPie.  I used some layouts from HyperPie and also the Unified series of layouts.

Did you get the 3B or 3B+ ?

Rich

iirishguyi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 02:42:09 PM »
I got the 3b. I have tried installing fresh with nothing on it and it was very hard to get the artwork to scrape, which is why i think a pre installed image would work best. Plus I'm not planning on just adding a few games here and there i want the games already set up so i don't have to do anything, it think it's much easier. What do you think is the best build image right now out there in your opinion or that you have heard of?

rwebb616

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 03:41:23 PM »
Again, probably HyperPie but you'll still need to add the roms yourself.  There may be some out there with the roms but it's not legal to distribute roms.  HyperPie as is was a little too flashy for me.  I follow the theory that less is more.  I wanted a nice clean interface but with all the artwork and videos.  I didn't need all the flashy sliding art and things moving around on the screen which is why I decided to build mine myself. 

It would be good for you to learn a little about the system anyway so you can fix things when they go wrong (which will eventually happen).  Probably the biggest issue is dealing with your arcade controls/gamepads. Retropie makes it pretty easy but everything is done through Emulation Station.  if you're looking to use Attract-Mode on a Pi then you're going to have to fiddle with things to get controls working. 

I didn't use the scraper at all when I did mine from scratch.  I used bits and pieces and all the artwork from the HyperPie image - just copied the artwork across into the appropriate folders.  I put the Pi on my network (cabled not WiFi because WiFi is too slow copying) and then connected to it from my Windows PC and copied it across using the built-in file sharing.  Out of the box you have file share access to the roms folder and I believe all the config folders. 

Also I was building mine for an arcade cabinet.  Are you doing a cabinet build or planning on using this as a console style that you hook to a TV or what is your plan?

Rich

EDIT:  Another image you would want to check out is Floob's image.  Find it here:  http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=705.0

That one is already set up with Attract Mode but again you need to add the roms.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 03:46:49 PM by rwebb616 »