Author Topic: How to edit newly created filters  (Read 2819 times)

Neil

• View Profile
How to edit newly created filters
« on: January 23, 2019, 07:40:38 AM »
So I've figured out how to add favorites and how to access the favorite tabs (using next filter or view filter list key in controls iirc), but even after adding a few games to favorites I can't find where these get stored on the computer for easier editing by notepad.

I also have no idea how to add games to other filters.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How to edit newly created filters
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 09:26:19 AM »
Filter rules are stored in the /attract/attract.cfg,

Romlists are stored /attract/romlists/<system>.txt.

Favorites are stored /attract/romlists/<system>.tag

Tag are stored /attract/romlists/<system>/<tag>.tag

Games match other filters based on the information in the fields of the /attract/romlists/<system>.txt romlist.

Neil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 11:28:12 AM »
THANK YOU. So now I have more easy control over the favorites in the mame.tag  but how do I get a xxx.tag for other filters? For example if I create a CPS filter, how do I add to it, or even better how can I get Attract Mode to generate a tag for it so that I can sort the games I add in notepad?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 12:54:59 PM »
It depends on what you want.

You can use a regular filter to show games where the "Manufacturer" contains "Capcom".
Configure-->Displays-->MAME-->Add Filter-->Filter Name=CPS-->Add Rule-->Target=Manufacturer | Comparison=contains | Filter Value=Capcom

This can also be done by manually editing the attract.cfg and adding the following to the MAME Display section.
Code: [Select]
filter               CPS
rule                 Manufacturer contains Capcom

You could also create a "tag" for CPS and use this to filter.
To do this in the GUI you need to make sure you have a "add tag" button configured in Configure-->Controls-->Add/Remove Tags. When in the GUI highlight a CPS game and press your <tag  button>-->Create Tag-->Name=CPS. Now each time you highlight a CPS game you can press the <tag button> and add them to your CPS tag list.

This can also be done manually by creating /attract/romlists/MAME/CPS.tag and placing the rom names without extensions into this file.
CPS.tag example
cworld2j
bbros
dino
captcomm
cawing
dynwar
ffight
forgottn
ghouls
knights
msword
megaman
mtwins
mercs
mbombrd
nemo
pnickj
qad
qtono2j
slammast
sf2ce
sf2hf
sf2
strider
kod
punisher
3wonders
unsquad
varth
wof
willow

Once you have your tag file created you need to create a filter for it.
Configure-->Displays-->MAME-->Add Filter-->Filter Name=CPS-->Add Rule-->Target=Tags | Comparison=contains | Filter Value=CPS

This can also be done by manually editing the attract.cfg and adding the following to the MAME Display section.
filter               CPS
rule                 Tags contains CPS

P.S. You might want to look at this post http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1165.msg8455#msg8455, not so much to use a master list but to better understand filters and tags.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 01:14:28 PM by progets »

Neil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 01:20:08 PM »
THANK YOU SO MUCH! That's exactly what I needed.