Author Topic: New Cabinet Build... Attract Mode advice  (Read 2968 times)

vaderag

• View Profile
New Cabinet Build... Attract Mode advice
« on: April 08, 2016, 06:05:54 AM »
Hi everyone!
I'm in the process of building a new cabinet and I had decided previously to use Hyperspin FE. I've just come across Attract Mode which seems to offer many of the features of HS but has the added advantage of being actively developed :)

I just wondered if anyone here has transitioned from HS to Attract Mode, and if AM works with Rocket Launcher at all?
I have spent a significant number of hours setting up RL and HS, and while i'm certainly not adverse to spending time getting things right with a new FE it would be nice if there is a relatively simple way to transition!

Any advice appreciated :)
Thanks!

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Cabinet Build... Attract Mode advice
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 08:14:35 AM »
Welcome!

I was an avid Hyperspin user before converting over to Attract. Like you alluded to, I got turned off by the lack of development and bug fixes, amongst other things. Their latest update was a step forward but it still has a lot of holes, at least that's my opinion.

Here is why I love AM. It's easy to configure, fast, lightweight and very customizable. It runs on multiple OS platforms. There's a lot of robust features like dual monitor support, game filtering, plugins, ambient sound, movie intro, and art scraper. I'm sure, I left something out but you get the general idea. Oh, there is also limited support for hyperspin and other frontends themes like mala.

But, most importantly, the developer Raygun does a fantastic job of adding user recommendations and addressing issues. So, Attract must being doing something right, because we're getting new members everyday, like you. My suggestion would be to give it ago and read the readme.md and layout.md to get a leg up on things.

Also, check the theme topic in the forums for custom layouts created by the community. That is also growing by the day.

Rocketlaucher has frontend support for attract. Though, you really shouldn't needed it. Attract does a good job of hiding the underlying OS. Though, there might be some situations where you might want to use it.

vaderag

• View Profile
Re: New Cabinet Build... Attract Mode advice
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 08:36:18 AM »
Welcome!

I was an avid Hyperspin user before converting over to Attract. Like you alluded to, I got turned off by the lack of development and bug fixes, amongst other things. Their latest update was a step forward but it still has a lot of holes, at least that's my opinion.

Here is why I love AM. It's easy to configure, fast, lightweight and very customizable. It runs on multiple OS platforms. There's a lot of robust features like dual monitor support, game filtering, plugins, ambient sound, movie intro, and art scraper. I'm sure, I left something out but you get the general idea. Oh, there is also limited support for hyperspin and other frontends themes like mala.

But, most importantly, the developer Raygun does a fantastic job of adding user recommendations and addressing issues. So, Attract must being doing something right, because we're getting new members everyday, like you. My suggestion would be to give it ago and read the readme.md and layout.md to get a leg up on things.

Also, check the theme topic in the forums for custom layouts created by the community. That is also growing by the day.

Rocketlaucher has frontend support for attract. Though, you really shouldn't needed it. Attract does a good job of hiding the underlying OS. Though, there might be some situations where you might want to use it.

Thanks for your reply. I'm currently designing my cabinet artwork when i have PC time and doing woodwork when i have nice weather, but will definitely be checking this out when I get a chance - it certainly looks promising from what I've seen.
As you say - active development and it looking good are the key things to me - i don't mind putting time in to get there :D