Author Topic: Shameless plug: Got a Nanao MS2930 manual tri-sync monitor?  (Read 4886 times)

chrisvg

• View Profile
Shameless plug: Got a Nanao MS2930 manual tri-sync monitor?
« on: April 08, 2016, 07:45:01 AM »
So a couple of months ago I created a simple hardware mod to convert my MS2930 from manual to automatic tri-sync.  I posted a big writeup about it in the" Raspberry Pi & Dev board" section of the BYOAC forums.  Not sure how many people in here have Candy's but there might be a few of you that find this useful.

So, this mod simply feeds the HSync output from my VGA output on the PC in to the Arduino board, measures the frequency of the video mode being output, then sets a couple of MOSFETs acting as dip switches on a simple breadboard circuit that replicates the circuit for the dip switches on the remote board for the monitor.  The generated voltage from the circuit is then sent to the monitor via the ribbon cable that plugs in to the front.. just need to splice a couple of wires and then it's party time!

So, if you have a MS2930 and would like to run AttractMode at a 31k resolution like 640x480, while still being able to run your games in GroovyMAME (or whatever other software that supports native resolutions) at their native 15/24k resolutions, and you don't want to have to fiddle around with those remote board dip switches every time you change games, go have a look at my write up here!

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Shameless plug: Got a Nanao MS2930 manual tri-sync monitor?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 09:33:33 AM »
WOW! This is interesting. I have a sega naomi system in a HS-5 cab that I thinking about converting over to MAME. So, if I understand this right this would replace the 15/32k manual switch on the naomi system.

chrisvg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 11:05:58 AM »
WOW! This is interesting. I have a sega naomi system in a HS-5 cab that I thinking about converting over to MAME. So, if I understand this right this would replace the 15/32k manual switch on the naomi system.

Yeah pretty much.. Do you know what monitor/chassis is in the machine?  The remote board for my chassis is this one.  Scroll down to "Toshiba Remote Board and Toshiba PCB-D SUB Connector Board".

If you have the same remote board, I'd be pretty confident that you could simply copy exactly what I have done.  If you have a different remote board, it should still be doable, you'd just need to modify my breadboard circuit to match what your remote board does..

Assuming it does much the same thing as mine (it simply takes an input voltage (12v), feeds it though some resistors and then you end up with a different voltage at the end (31kHz = 10.16v, 24kHz = 6.03v, 15kHz = 2.14v), which then gets sent via the ribbon cable to the monitor to tell it which mode to run at.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 01:08:47 PM »
Hmm... I have a P790 remote board for the Wells Gardner K7400 chassis. And, now that I think of it, the CRT might only support 15Khz with this chassis. It's a beautiful 25" crt with no burnin and it's just begging me to convert it over to mame.

I've been eyeing candy cabs for awhile now, and would love to add one to my collection. Right now, my collection consist of mostly old school arcades like tron and mrs pacman. The cabinet that I want to convert is a Guilty Gear that I picked up recently.