Author Topic: To developers (implementation)  (Read 2796 times)

Wenzon

• View Profile
To developers (implementation)
« on: June 02, 2020, 05:30:11 AM »
Would it be possible for AM to read APNG or WEBP files?

I have developed animations to use in my theme, but I notice that they get big. The quality is poor in GIF animations, especially when using shading effects. Converting to video (.MOV) the files get big and the theme gets heavy, especially when you have 3 or 4 animations.

For those who will use weak hardware, the use of these files is not viable. With APNG or WEBP files (Google), the animated images are very small, not to mention the agility when it comes to processing them. I also realized that AM supports FLV (Flash) files.

The files converted to this format have an excellent size, but I run into the problem of transparency. I don't know if FLV supports ALPHA (transparency) channels, but every time I convert to this format, I lose the transparency effect. The truth that the FLV file has been abandoned for some time, and I see few programs with advanced conversion options in this format.

So if you're not going to ask the developers a lot, you could implement these two formats in AM. Users working with Photoshop and After Effects will thank you very much !!! Note: If anyone knows a program that converts MOV files to FLV with "transparency", I would be very grateful.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 06:56:13 AM by Wenzon »

sickle

• View Profile
Re: To developers (implementation)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 10:03:11 PM »
man, this would be great. my tg-16 theme runs heavily on .mov files right now, and I'm working on getting them small enough to run it on a pi, without losing their quality

Wenzon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 04:28:08 AM »
For me it is being a huge challenge to reduce the files in mov. So much research, I discovered the WEBM.

AM supports this form. My 8 mb mov file is 51 kb. It is an excellent compaction !!! The problem is that I'm running into transparency.
WEBM supports transparency, but I can't convert with this format. It always has a black background.

sickle, if you know any solution to decrease mov files transparently i would appreciate it, because i'm almost giving up.

joyrider3774

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 05:02:29 AM »
can you share an example (mov) movies you could try ffmpeg mov to flv but i think flv might look bad? as far as i'm aware attract uses libavcodec (on my rpi4 at least) and if libavcodec supports it it should play.

edit: ffmpeg won't work for flv, ffmpeg only supports yuv420p not yuva420p for flv output
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:43:54 AM by joyrider3774 »

Wenzon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 06:43:03 AM »
joyrider3774,

Thanks for your response. I am making available here my animation in the mov format developed for my theme. As I mentioned earlier, the mov file supports transparency, however, it is a large file. My goal is to make it smaller, that it supports transparency and that the AM can see it. So my theme could run on rpi4 smoothly. But as it is, it runs on a regular PC for good.

The transparent video animations that worked in AM ...
.MOV
.AVI.

The WEBM format, supports transparency, however, I'm trying very hard to convert it with transparency. Even putting the option of yuva420p.
I think I must be doing something wrong. This format is perfect. The file is extremely small.

Well ... there's the animated gif, but I refuse to put it in this format because its quality is poor.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 06:56:35 AM by Wenzon »

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 07:17:14 PM »
I just checked it out here and animated pngs work for me... just change the file extension to ".apng"

Wenzon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 03:45:20 AM »
I am very dumb! 

I tested several conversion methods, researched on several sites and I did not make such an obvious test.

Thank you so much.
I was abandoning the idea of ​​lowering the animations.