Author Topic: Final Burn Alpha v0.2.97.39 romset - no rom names when generating romlist  (Read 6698 times)

NoJhSaH

• View Profile
Hi

i have the FBA_v0.2.97.39 romset, and when i generate a romlist in the attract mode display and the romlist the roms are only shown by filename (see below)

Code: [Select]
1941j;1941j;FBA;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
1941r1;1941r1;FBA;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
1941u;1941u;FBA;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
1942;1942;FBA;;1984;Capcom;Shooter;2;;;;;;;;;
1942a;1942a;FBA;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
1942abl;1942abl;FBA;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
1942b;1942b;FBA;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
1942c64;1942c64;FBA;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
1942h;1942h;FBA;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
1942w;1942w;FBA;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
1943;1943;FBA;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
1943b;1943b;FBA;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
1943b2;1943b2;FBA;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
1943bj;1943bj;FBA;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
1943j;1943j;FBA;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
1943ja;1943ja;FBA;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

i thought with a compatible romset it should of got the correct names, year etc.  i have read that with mame you need to generate an xml list, but i am not sure if it is the same using final Burn Alpha (lr-fbalpha)

can anybody shed some light on this

thanks

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yes, you need the mame.xml file to get the full names of any arcade games (mame, fba, capcom, etc.).

NoJhSaH

• View Profile
ok thanks, do you know how to generate one?

also i only have the v0.2.97.39 romset in the fba rom folder.  I dont know if that will affect anything if you have to use mame to generate the xml.

thanks a lot

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I do and it's complex on a Pi.

My advice is to download a current version of MAME for Windows here http://mamedev.org/release.html. Install install it and go to the command line and change to the folder where you installed mame and run "mame64.exe -listxml > mame.xml". Then copy the mame.xml file from your Windows machine to your Pi /home/pi/.attract/ folder.

Next you need these lines in your Attract-Mode FBA.cfg emulator file
Code: [Select]
system               Arcade
info_source         
import_extras        .\mame.xml

Once this is done regenerate the FBA romlist and you should have the names you want.

NoJhSaH

• View Profile
ok great i have that working now for FBA, it has the roms with full names, wheel art and snap video, it even has got rid of a lot of dupes. thanks.

im pretty close to getting it all working how i want now, i just have one more question.

From this xml list how can i get the displays like "taito classics", "street fighter collection", "data east collection" etc working with the new xml list.?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You can use this mame.xml for other displays but there are some issues with doing this if you plan to use this mame.xml with other emulators.

The FBA rom set you're using is close to the current MAME rom set. This means that the mame.xml you generated is 99.9% correct for your FBA roms. If you start using other emulators like mame2003, mame2010, advmame, etc. they use much older rom sets. Your mame.xml will work for most things but some names have changed over time and more games are playable on a current version of MAME so the "working" info in the file won't be correct for some games. You can of course manually edit the differences using the AM edit game feature or manually editing the romlist.txt files.

See this thread on how to get your lists and displays http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1624.0 (make sure to follow the links in the post)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:28:21 AM by progets »