Author Topic: Cannot see snap, boxart with parentheses for Sega Genesis  (Read 3299 times)

fullaware

• View Profile
Cannot see snap, boxart with parentheses for Sega Genesis
« on: August 11, 2020, 10:31:05 AM »
EDIT (SOLVED): 
TLDR; Attract-Mode doesn't care what the .bin names are inside of the .7z rom packs.  I'll be manually renaming my images for snaps, boxart, etc.

New to Attract-Mode but have been a Linux professional and MAME user for 13+ years.  Firstly, this is a phenomenal frontend for Linux!  I love HyperSpin for my Win 10 desktop so after seeing this in active development I had to try it.  Great work!

I currently have the following emulators configured for Attract-Mode.  Sega Genesis does not seem to like snap or boxart filenames with parentheses e.g. (USA).  I thought it was due to the layout that I chose but even with other layouts the issue persists.

• mame - works, layout= At-the-Arcade
  • nes - works with parentheses, layout= Nintendo Entertainment System
  • snes - works with parentheses, layout = Super Nintendo Entertainment System
  • gamecube - works with parentheses, layout= Nintendo Gamecube
  • sega genesis - not working with parentheses, layout= Sega Genesis

genesis.cfg
Code: [Select]
# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.6.1
#
executable           /usr/bin/retroarch
args                 "[romfilename]" -L $HOME/.config/retroarch/cores/genesis_plus_gx_libretro.so
rompath              /media/share/DOWNLOADS/EMULATOR_ROMS/SEGAGENESIS
romext               .7z;.zip;.md
system               Sega Genesis
info_source          thegamesdb.net
artwork    boxart          $HOME/genesis/boxart
artwork    snap            $HOME/genesis/titlescreen;$HOME/genesis/snap
artwork    wheel           $HOME/genesis/boxart

Path to actual images that should show in Attract-Mode for this title:
$HOME/genesis/titlescreen/Battletoads-Double Dragon (USA).png
$HOME/genesis/snap/Battletoads-Double Dragon (USA).png

What I am seeing:

I have 1 title that I manually entered all the images and video snap for by hand for 'xmen2clonewars' and due to it lacking parentheses I believe that's why it works.

Here is what I see for SNES with the 'Wizard of Oz, The (USA)', no issues with parentheses it seems.

snes.cfg
#
args                 "[romfilename]" -L $HOME/.config/retroarch/cores/snes9x_libretro.so
rompath              /media/share/DOWNLOADS/EMULATOR_ROMS/SNESROMS
romext               .zip;.7z;.bin;.fig;.mgd;.sfc;.smc;.swc
system               Super Nintendo (SNES)
artwork    boxart          $HOME/snes/boxart
artwork flyer         $HOME/snes/boxart
artwork    snap            $HOME/snes/snap;$HOME/snes/titlescreen
artwork    wheel           $HOME/snes/boxart
artwork cartart $HOME/snes/cartart

Layouts provided by Yaron2019 'Great Themes Collection 5.2' http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=3289.0 but again, issue persists with stock layouts.

System Info:
Distributor ID:   Ubuntu
Description:   Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
Release:   20.04
Codename:   focal
Linux m93p 5.4.0-42-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 10 00:24:02 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Vendor ID:                       GenuineIntel
CPU family:                      6
Model:                           60
Model name:                      Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570T CPU @ 2.90GHz
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 09:13:08 AM by fullaware »

placebo_yue

• sup
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Cannot see snap, boxart with parentheses for Sega Genesis
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 10:47:44 AM »
I didn't read the whole thing but on your fist bunch of codes, i can see your wheel has the path to "boxart" instead.
Also, why have two routes for snap? leave just one.
And try other layouts. Sometimes some layouts are coded expecting your art to be named "snapshot" or "screenshot" instead of "snap" or whatever, and you created the thingy in the menu as "snap" by default without knowing, and then it doesn't work.

Read the layout.nut and see if anything there looks off. And make sure the path to your art is correct, and also, the names of the roms and the art must be EXACTLY THE SAME. A single extra space can make it stop working.
AM ignores parenthesis when showing the rom name, but for the filenames of the art they should be included!
I never had trouble with parenthesis and such. And it's a great way to have more than one version of the same game without it showing on the menues. Like diferent regions, or "Megaman (nes)" and "Megaman (arcade)"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 10:50:09 AM by placebo_yue »

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 09:34:35 PM »
I have to say your config does look a little strange...

I use linux and using AM for years...and I use the same theme as well..all my roms are (USA), (Japan), (Europe) ect... and all my artwork works flawlessly. I do have to say the boxart for the wheel art does give a nice effect.
An example of a system of mine is below:

#
args                 -L /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libretro/prosystem_libretro.so "[romfilename]"
workdir              /usr/bin/retroarch
rompath              /home/user/a7800/
romext               .a78
artwork    boxart          /home/user/a7800/artwork/boxart
artwork    cartart         /home/user/a7800/artwork/carts
artwork    flyer           /home/user/a7800/artwork/cover
artwork    snap            /home/user/a7800/artwork/vids
artwork    wheel           /home/user/a7800/artwork/wheel

I want to point out a few things in yours..

#
args                 "[romfilename]" -L $HOME/.config/retroarch/cores/snes9x_libretro.so <--- I am not sure that will work from the terminal
rompath              /media/share/DOWNLOADS/EMULATOR_ROMS/SNESROMS 
romext               .zip;.7z;.bin;.fig;.mgd;.sfc;.smc;.swc
system               Super Nintendo (SNES)
artwork    boxart          $HOME/snes/boxart
artwork   flyer         $HOME/snes/boxart  <- you can leave it..but note that it is not used in your current theme..but it is used in others!
artwork    snap            $HOME/snes/snap;$HOME/snes/titlescreen
artwork    wheel           $HOME/snes/boxart                                 (try using a full path like I have in mine for your artwork see if that works)
artwork   cartart   $HOME/snes/cartart
People want life easy..then complain about it

fullaware

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 08:08:37 AM »
Thanks to all the feedback!! 

TLDR;  Attract-Mode doesn't care what the .bin names are inside of the .7z rom packs.  I'll be manually renaming my images for snaps, boxart, etc.

The issue is I pointed Attract-Mode to boxart downloaded via Retroarch when I hit some kind of limit on 'thegamesdb.net' (I'd love some feedback on how to avoid this)

I hastily grabbed some Genesis roms simply named Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master.7z, the various '.bin' files within contained the files with parentheses. 

I think my issue is definitely a combination of how Retroarch is grabbing the art and how the art is being labeled versus how Attract-Mode is seeing it.

{
      "path": "/media/share/DOWNLOADS/EMULATOR_ROMS/SEGAGENESIS/Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master.7z#Super Shinobi II, The (J).bin",
      "label": "Super Shinobi II, The (Japan, Korea)",
      "core_path": "DETECT",
      "core_name": "DETECT",
      "crc32": "5B412816|crc",
      "db_name": "Sega - Mega Drive - Genesis.lpl"
    },
    {
      "path": "/media/share/DOWNLOADS/EMULATOR_ROMS/SEGAGENESIS/Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master.7z#Super Shinobi II, The (Beta).bin",
      "label": "Super Shinobi II, The (Japan) (Beta 2)",
      "crc32": "C47E8AEA|crc",
    },
    {
      "path": "/media/share/DOWNLOADS/EMULATOR_ROMS/SEGAGENESIS/Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master.7z#Super Shinobi II, The (Beta) [a1].bin",
      "label": "Super Shinobi II, The (Japan) (Beta 1)",
      "crc32": "1EE5BCE3|crc",
    },
    {
      "path": "/media/share/DOWNLOADS/EMULATOR_ROMS/SEGAGENESIS/Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master.7z#Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master (U) [!].bin",
      "label": "Shinobi III - Return of the Ninja Master (USA)",
      "crc32": "5381506F|crc",
    },
    {
      "path": "/media/share/DOWNLOADS/EMULATOR_ROMS/SEGAGENESIS/Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master.7z#Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master (E) [c][!].bin",
      "label": "Shinobi III - Return of the Ninja Master (Europe)",
      "crc32": "0B6D3EB5|crc",
    },

See here that Retroarch sees the file Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master (U) [!].bin one of many .bin files inside of the Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master.7z
But it labels it Shinobi III - Return of the Ninja Master (USA)
And therefore Retroarch downloads the Boxart, Snaps and Titles as Shinobi III - Return of the Ninja Master (USA).png

When I scan within Attract-Mode it sees just the name of the .7z file:
Battletoads and Double Dragon;Battletoads and Double Dragon;genesis;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Since my collection of Genesis games is only 17, I'll be manually renaming the images.

Any feedback on how to get around the 'thegamesdb.net reports a remaining allowance of: Unknown' would be greatly appreciated.

$ attract -s genesis
*** Scraping artwork for: genesis
 - scraping thegamesdb.net...
 - Platform :Sega Genesis (18)
 * Unable to get platform information
 - 17 games not matched on thegamesdb.net: "Battletoads and Double Dragon","Castlevania - Bloodlines","Contra - Hard Corps","Earthworm Jim","Golden Axe III","Shadow Dancer","Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master","Simpsons, The - Bart's Nightmare","Sonic and Knuckles","Sonic The Hedgehog","Sonic The Hedgehog 2","Sonic The Hedgehog 3","Splatterhouse 3","Strider","Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Hyperstone Heist","Toejam & Earl","xmen2clonewars"
 - thegamesdb.net reports a remaining allowance of: Unknown
*** Scraping done.

placebo_yue

• sup
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 08:22:17 AM »
Sounds like maybe connection problems? It's odd that it's not recognising "Sega Genesis" as platform

fullaware

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 09:01:43 AM »
Sounds like maybe connection problems? It's odd that it's not recognising "Sega Genesis" as platform

I would have thought the same thing but I was able to capture 13,000+ assets for my MAME collection, but it has refused to let me do the same for NES, SNES, Gamecube and Sega Genesis.

I can open another post specifically for this issue if that's preferred.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 02:24:08 PM »
Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master (U) [!].bin  <--- naming convention number one (I forget the name of it..'good merged' or something...)

Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master (USA).bin <-- naming convention number 2 (no-intro)

Most scrapers now use the no-intro naming convention thus why some (or all) roms are not scraped. They do not understand the (u) [!] but DO understand the (USA).

I think that is your main problem with scraping here. I can scrape a single game with the good merge naming convention and get nothing...change the naming and get it scraped.

You are correct..it does not care what your rom is named in the zip file...it just uses what you throw at it. I can scrape..game cube, PSP, dreamcast, saturn, psx ps2 and have them all fit on ummm...I think 2 meg or so?... Why? because they are all zero byte files..fake roms..just named right and the scraper will pull the artwork for them down.

IMHO...the BEST way to have artwork is to download packs and use them instead of scraping. Scraping is more convenient but at least you are not relying on the limits of the api you are scraping from. Not to mention if your system goes poof...but that is just me. Scrapers are finicky at best..just how it works...games..movies..music.. doesn't matter what you scrape...that is just how they work. and honestly using more then one scraper will save you time and headaches..(or add some headaches!) in the long run.

People want life easy..then complain about it

placebo_yue

• sup
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 06:29:24 PM »
Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master (U) [!].bin  <--- naming convention number one (I forget the name of it..'good merged' or something...)

Shinobi 3 - Return of the Ninja Master (USA).bin <-- naming convention number 2 (no-intro)

Most scrapers now use the no-intro naming convention thus why some (or all) roms are not scraped. They do not understand the (u) [!] but DO understand the (USA).

That information would've helped me regarding the "metadata for non-mame platforms" thread! I'll check it out!

fullaware

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 09:29:48 AM »

I think that is your main problem with scraping here. I can scrape a single game with the good merge naming convention and get nothing...change the naming and get it scraped.

You are correct..it does not care what your rom is named in the zip file...it just uses what you throw at it. I can scrape..game cube, PSP, dreamcast, saturn, psx ps2 and have them all fit on ummm...I think 2 meg or so?... Why? because they are all zero byte files..fake roms..just named right and the scraper will pull the artwork for them down.

IMHO...the BEST way to have artwork is to download packs and use them instead of scraping. Scraping is more convenient but at least you are not relying on the limits of the api you are scraping from. Not to mention if your system goes poof...but that is just me. Scrapers are finicky at best..just how it works...games..movies..music.. doesn't matter what you scrape...that is just how they work. and honestly using more then one scraper will save you time and headaches..(or add some headaches!) in the long run.

You have earned your 'Hero' status once again Akafox!  Thank you for the education, time to find some packs.  FYI 5.6 of 'The Great Themes Collection' http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=3289.0 was released recently.