Author Topic: Anyway to have rom play an mp4 file?  (Read 3031 times)

UncleJ

• View Profile
Anyway to have rom play an mp4 file?
« on: September 03, 2017, 04:32:52 PM »
Hey everyone, odd question here but it is going to serve a purpose.

I added a fake Nintendo Switch emulator to my attract mode. It shows up on the system selection, I even built a custom layout, got boxart, wheel art, and snap videos I made. The purpose of this is so if someone comes over to play my arcade and sees it, that when they click the rom (Breath of the wild for example), I want it to just play a full screen "Rick Roll", since there is no possible emulation on a pi for Switch obviously.

I went into the emulator settings and chose the extension to .mp4, and I placed the rick roll mp4's in the roms folder...but it won't play. Does anyone know how I would get this to work? Like if there is a video player I can add to the pi so it will launch the videos?

KTURNER

• View Profile
Re: Anyway to have rom play an mp4 file?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 06:39:00 PM »
I've done movies with vlc on the PC. I don't see a difference but I know nothing about the pi.

UncleJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 04:31:54 PM »
From what I can tell, that player works better in emulation station and by using the command line, I am looking more so for a way to set up my "emulator" to execute the player when someone clicks on the "rom" inside of Attract Mode. Like setting up the Executable, and command arguments so that I can just have it launch the video when the selection is clicked.

Hawnalen

• View Profile
    • Talktobabes
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 10:49:13 PM »
So basically you want it to launch the .mp4 with a default program that will do it every time without errors? Or am I getting confused

UncleJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 07:47:59 PM »
Sounds about right, yeah (obviously the less errors the better). I wish it was just as easy as downloading a media player to a folder then setting up that folder as the executable path, but from everything I have read that won't work either