Author Topic: Advice for Horizontal Scrolling Game Selection (Pac-Man 40th Arcade1Up Theme)  (Read 1991 times)

stazna01

• View Profile
I'm getting ready to modify my Pac-Man 40th Anniversary Arcade1Up machine with a raspberry pi, and while I've modified a few with the Mr. Burns image (which runs attract mode), for this machine I'd really like to keep the same user interface that Arcade1Up built into the Pac-Man 40th machine (simple scrolling left and right with an image/logo for each game). I've been able to recreate the Arcade1Up graphics in Photoshop (jpg attached for reference), but now need to pair them with attract mode.

In this video you can see the user interface (https://youtu.be/086zbpyrdGc?t=66). The background image is stagnant and all that changes are the main image and logo underneath the Pac-Man 40th logo, and the image/logo of the previous and next games on the left and right of the main image. The main image is bordered by an orange/red/blue border, and previous and next are blurred out and bordered by a gray border. A sound is played for left/right movement, and another sound when you launch the game.

I've used a number of programming languages, so I'm sure I'll be able to muddle through squirrel, but a few things I did wonder...
  • For a beginner with attract mode, does it make sense to start from scratch, or start with a theme that seems to already be close to what you'd like?I noticed that the attract mode Arcade v3 theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxbZCFbUGJQ) seems to have the same basic functionality, so would it make the most sense to start with that theme on my pi and work on modifying it?
  • I noticed in the Arcade v3 theme, the person in the video example seems to be using up/down to go left/right in the list, and I'd want to make sure that left/right on the joystick were what went left/right in the list. Is there anything to be aware of with that?
  • I'm planning on only having my machine use 18 total vertical arcade games, so I'll want to create the background color rectangle individually for each game so that the color goes with the game's main color scheme. Since these will need to be completely custom, I'm thinking that means there will need to be a separate folder where I can put in the custom ones by game name, but have a generic one if no match is found. Any suggestions on where to read up on separate images from the standards that can normally be automatically pulled?
  • In this UI, the 40th anniversary logo always overhangs the game's vertical rectangle. Anything to be aware of with layers so that always is there and just overtop fo the game's vertical rectangle image that ends up beneath it?
  • Anything to be aware of with sounds for going left/right and when the game launches?

I'm sure all of this screams noob, and I have been looking around the forum and doing some searches, but in some of these cases I wasn't sure of the exact terms to search, or if I'd be building something one way but it's much easier to build it a smarter way. Thanks for any insights.

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
this looks worthy....i  Made the first vs, of that sd arcade,  then frizzlefry did a great job to mod it further

i would start from scratch...if you would like a good start, ill be more than happy to hep bro..

one of the biggest things needed is the Art...that is were it realy comes together....were are you at with that?

the scripting has all now been done before,,  that will fall together relatively quickly..

any way if u would like to collaborate shoot me a pm....

help a friend....

stazna01

• View Profile
Thank you so much! Just PMed.

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
here is what i put together so far,  https://youtu.be/U5wD5cXG-tM

i will need the sound bite to add to it...

off to work i go,  talk to ya later.

ps your in box is full..
help a friend....