Author Topic: Seeing Desktop on RPI2 when launching & ending games  (Read 7799 times)

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
Seeing Desktop on RPI2 when launching & ending games
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:03:00 AM »
Is there any way to keep the screen black when AM hides itself and launches a rom?
Same with when advmame closes & AM opens?

I'm thinking it's just the speed of the SDcard & the RPI since it's very minimal with mame4all but very noticeable with advmame.
and

I suppose just getting rid of the icons on the desktop & tool bar would work but just wanted to check and see if there is anything else I can do.

akafox

• View Profile
Re: Seeing Desktop on RPI2 when launching & ending games
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:06:44 AM »
Man I don't know. Is there a "mini install" for the pi like ubuntu? (no gui..you could use a lighter one then).
 Can you make it show "loading...." and cover it like omega did in his layout? Might just lengthen the time.

I have emulation station on mine right now I have tried to find how to cover that up myself...I wonder...Can you shove that all to another terminal? (I did that with my start up..it comes up blank now I am going to have an intro video.)

Sorry I'm not much help :P
People want life easy..then complain about it

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 09:57:36 AM »
I'm currently using diet-Pi os.
majorly stripped down version of raspbian.
I'm using omega's vertical layout with the conveyor and i see the "loading" screen.
But i'm convinced now that it's an issue with Advanced mame just taking so long to start up.

so i'm going to change the desktop to black & get rid of the icons or at least hide them.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 11:28:53 AM »
Nitro-

I have the latest mame build with nonag, hiscore, and UIFX extras like autofire if you want to try it.  Let me know...

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 05:31:59 PM »
Nitro-

I have the latest mame build with nonag, hiscore, and UIFX extras like autofire if you want to try it.  Let me know...

For the raspberry pi?

anyway I got rid of the desktop icons, set the taskbar to the same background as the desktop (black) and set it to autohide.

barely see anything now.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 07:35:31 PM »
I'm currently using diet-Pi os.
majorly stripped down version of raspbian.

Gonna have to look that up..

But i'm convinced now that it's an issue with Advanced mame just taking so long to start up.

A rasp pi take so long?...well yeah...I'll agree there..
People want life easy..then complain about it

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 07:47:44 PM »
Nitro-

Ah! That's right,  RPI2 is arm based. I read somewhere that wine runs on PI. But, I guess even if you installed wine you would need to compile win apps for arm. I am curios to see what win 10 app are ported over for windows 10. So, what are you running - sdlmame?   

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 04:00:11 AM »
Nitro-

Ah! That's right,  RPI2 is arm based. I read somewhere that wine runs on PI. But, I guess even if you installed wine you would need to compile win apps for arm. I am curios to see what win 10 app are ported over for windows 10. So, what are you running - sdlmame?

I have advmame .94 from the retropie script.
The rpi2 is probably about as powerful as a slow Pentium 4. :)
At least Mame wise.
It does have 4 cores so desktop stuff isn't too bad.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 07:12:02 AM »
Nitro-

My bad, I see you mentioned advmame in your previous post. Man, I think you've finally convinced me to order one today. I was going to play around with win10 running on it until I read this:

Are true console apps supported on Windows 10 IoT Core?
True “console” apps aren’t really going to be supported for the IoT core OS, headless or not. You can still deploy and run a standard win32 console app here, it just won’t be connected to any on-device console. When running headless you should just get that black screen. When running headed the only supported UI is via the UWP UI stacks (XAML, HTML, DirectX).

Might as well just stick with Linux, LOL. Anway, time to brush up linux again and its infamous driver problems.

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 08:52:32 AM »
Is there any way to keep the screen black when AM hides itself and launches a rom?

I'm thinking it's just the speed of the SDcard & the RPI since it's very minimal with mame4all but very noticeable with advmame.
and

I suppose just getting rid of the icons on the desktop & tool bar would work but just wanted to check and see if there is anything else I can do.

Hey there, there probably is a fix for this, it would just take some playing around with the rpi version of sfml and how attractmode is using it. I do intend to look at this when I get the chance.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 08:57:53 AM »
[ moved to separate thread ]
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:08:40 AM by verion »

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 10:01:30 AM »

and

Hey there, there probably is a fix for this, it would just take some playing around with the rpi version of sfml and how attractmode is using it. I do intend to look at this when I get the chance.

I got rid of the icons, turned the tool bar the same color as the background & set it to auto hide.
works like a char, :)

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »
It's only a workaround. I hope that can be resolved anyway - since my RPi is my next target with emulation (or iPad 1 that is also gathering dust).