Author Topic: Layout.nut help  (Read 1587 times)

bjhille

• View Profile
Layout.nut help
« on: February 14, 2022, 09:33:52 AM »
Hi,

I'm working on modifying the Verted Theme that Mahuti made (http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=3866.0) that is based on the original Invaders theme (http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=2120.0).

I have attached my layout.nut file so you can use it with Mahuti's theme and/or hopefully help me resolve a few outstanding issues I'm struggling to tackle.  From Mahuti's version, I was able to resolve:
     * Text not appearing when moving up or down while on a tab (info, flyer or cabinet).  Now, it goes back to the video tab and brings the game list back.
     * Created a way to go both directions through the tabs via "custom1" and "custom2".

There are two things I would like to resolve, but I'm struggling.
     * Want to resolve bug where the letters down the left side gets misaligned when changing filters.  I think two variables (fe.list.index and list_inc) need to be updated upon filter change, but not sure.
     * I can not get the game list to show when first starting up Attract Mode to save my life!  I'm really hoping some nice person will assist with this one.  When Attract Mode starts, you will be on the video screen with no game list.  If you press "Custom1" to move to the info tab, then press "Custom 2" to move back to the Video tab, the game list appears.  If I add fe.signal("custom1") then "fe.signal("custom2") to the end of the layout.nut I get the info tab with the game list showing...maybe there is a way to put a delay between the two.  I've tried putting "play_video_tab()" and "show_games_list()" in various orders and combinations at the end to no avail.  It feels like a simple fix, but it seems to be getting the better of me.

Can you please help?

Thanks.  Brian

Mark Norville

• View Profile
Re: Layout.nut help
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 01:32:07 PM »
As no one has answered you yet, as I am bored transferring files, I thought that I would give some useless information.

You say that you have it at the bottom, when I was editing a skin I found that you had to have things in a certain order otherwise it would break. So if I put Hello World at the bottom of the page it would break the theme, if I moved it higher then it would work again.

I suppose it is like layer in Photoshop, everything needs to be in order so that it knows what it is doing.

As for your changing filters list index, just make a back up of your layout nut and give what you think a try, you might surprise yourself with a good end result, if it does not work then you have learned a life experience.

Hopefully someone with more skinning knowledge will answer you, but one reply from the village idiot is better than no reply.

Regards

Mark
Well I am back a new PC I7 4790K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Windows 10. Hopefully will get delivered at weekend.

Computer Specs : I7 3770K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Win 10
HD Specs : 1 x 1 TB SSD + 4 x 8 TB = 33 TB (fullish)
First system : ZX81 (Yes I am an old fart)
PS Network : MarkNorvile
Xbox : Mark Norville

bjhille

• View Profile
Re: Layout.nut help
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 02:14:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply Mark.

Yeah, I am still trying to resolve the first item on my own.  Guess I was hoping if someone was already looking at it maybe it would be more obvious to them.  I haven't given up on it yet though.  :)

The second item is the one I really need help with and hopeful that someone will take pity on me.  I am able to solve some of the issues on my own, but not all.  I say "at the end", because there were already comments there stating "// initiate games list now, if it's available to be shown" and below that it said "show_games_list()".  That's original.  I was changing that area and getting somewhere on results, but I just can not figure out how to get the gamelist to show without having the change tabs.  I don't want to, I'm just trying to figure out how as that's the work around since I can't find the problem.

Funny you mention the layering thing like Photoshop.  I think that's what's happening, but I don't know enough to resolve it.  I know the "show_game_list()" call works because it's used in other places.  If I remove or change it, it breaks.  So, the sub function (or whatever squirrel calls it) works...just not at initial startup.  Almost like a frame was drawn after (on top of, whatever) the text box for the list. But, if you call "show_video_tab()" that works every time, except initial startup.

Brian