Author Topic: How to compile AM with mmal in raspberry pi OS  (Read 1498 times)

kent79

• View Profile
How to compile AM with mmal in raspberry pi OS
« on: October 17, 2022, 06:37:30 PM »
Hello, I would like compile AM with mmal (hardware Video Decoder) in raspberry pi OS as following below steps. But I got the error while on "make -j4 USE_GLES=1" line. Anyone know how to correct it. Thank you

Code: [Select]
  cd ~/build
  sudo apt-get install libomxil-bellagio-dev libmp3lame-dev
  git clone --depth 1 git://source.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git
  cd ffmpeg
  ./configure --arch=armhf --target-os=linux --enable-gpl --enable-mmal --enable-omx --enable-omx-rpi --enable-nonfree --enable-libfreetype --extra-libs=-lasound --enable-libmp3lame --disable-debug --enable-shared
  make -j4
  sudo make install
  sudo ldconfig 

cd ~/build
  git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/mickelson/attract.git
  cd attract
  make -j4 USE_GLES=1
  sudo make install
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 07:10:30 PM by kent79 »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How to compile AM with mmal in raspberry pi OS
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 10:03:15 PM »

kent79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 06:58:36 PM »
No luck. I have tried many times. Still no mmal options and the CPU usuage is running 305%. Finially, I install retropie and bulit in attact mode options. The mmal options can display and CPU usage is 35% only. I don't know why I can't compile AM by myself without retropie. I am using rpi 3b+.  :(

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 10:13:15 PM »
I haven't compiled AM on the Pi for a long time. The steps worked when I wrote the FAQ and I updated them at least twice then since, once was due to a change in ffmpeg and another due to a change in the AM code. Years ago this was a hot topic but these days people want things fast and easy so most people just download premade images, which IMO aren't the best.

It was fun to figure out back then to help some friends build cheap cabinets but I have always used a full PC in mine so I haven't kept up with it over the years. Try sending a message to Floob, he was really into the Pi back then and I think he still is, he made this post earlier in the year http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=705.msg29435#msg29435.

If you do find an answer, let me know so I can update the FAQ for others.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2022, 01:23:22 AM »
I 'll tell you I only ran Raspbian on the Pi for AM, I'm not sure what OS you're using. I'll also mention that the "make -j4" switch often produced errors for no reason I could see, it was hit or miss. When I ran "make" without the "-j4" switch it was successful every time. "make -j4" was much faster but also failed a lot, which is useless. This is why the Pi FAQ didn't even mention the "-j4" switch (not to mention that the earlier Pis were only single core).

kent79

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2022, 05:35:04 AM »
Thank you for your kindly man. I will give up compile it by myself. I will use retropie to install AM instead.  :)