Author Topic: Metadata for non-MAME romlists?  (Read 7526 times)

placebo_yue

• sup
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Metadata for non-MAME romlists?
« on: August 05, 2020, 09:57:12 PM »
Is this possible somehow? for mame i didn't have to move a finger and it scraped all the information for me, which is neat.
It would really help me to filter games by single/multiplayer and make a neat list for whenever i play with friends

Also, since recreating the romlist overwrites any changes i do manually, the auto-scraping of said data is crucial.
Otherwise im choosing between manually fixing every entry each time i add a few roms, or adding the roms manually to the textfile, or creating a new romlist and merging it with a backup with my information (again, manually). Which is awful and tedious.

I have "SkraperUI" installed which really helped me getting all the art for my games, but i never dwelled into the metadata side of the scraping before. I thought it could be added separately from the romlists but apparently not, which is BAD.

Any advice?

akafox

• View Profile
Re: Metadata for non-MAME romlists?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 03:41:19 PM »
It can be done. But it will take a LOT of time. You can just fill it all in by hand.

I actually have a "Nplayers.ini" for the NES but not sure what I did with it. If I recall it didn't work. I did make a nes_catver.ini and it worked perfectly. But that was a year or so ago...

« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 10:16:08 AM by akafox »
People want life easy..then complain about it

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 04:52:14 PM »
If you have the emulator setup properly in AM and are connected to the internet you should get all the metadata from thegamesdb.net. Your emulator files need "info_source = thegamesdb.net" and "system = the_system_name_thegamesdb.net_uses".

Example of NES emulator file
Code: [Select]
# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.6.1
#
executable           \Emulators\RetroArch\retroarch.exe
args                 -f -L cores\fceumm_libretro.dll "[romfilename]"
rompath              \Roms\Nintendo Entertainment System
romext               .nes
system               Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
info_source          thegamesdb.net

Configure your emulators as described and then regenerate the romlists in AM.

walknight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 12:31:29 AM »
What's the request quota of thegamesdb using stock AM? Is it based on IP address?
Yesterday I tried a scrape session, it says there are 6000+ tasks and were able to find quite a few matches.
But it crashed with a segmentation fault half way.
I then tried to scrape again on the other machine but got 403 error. The error message mentions a monthly quota exceeded.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 01:10:06 AM »
Scrape session is different from just building a romlist with metadata. This retrieves artwork and requires more bandwidth.

thegamesdb.net had never been reliable but does provide many free benefits. Keep trying generating romlists and/or scraping at different hours to get everything you need.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 10:14:03 AM »
Well..wow even...  :o

the gamesdb.net DOES actually scrape extra infomation like that...I never could get it to work!

I always thought it was strange it worked with other frontends but not AM...wonder what I was doing wrong... *shrugs*

Beats filling it all in by paw for sure! Some of it is not filled out..but that's to be expected...guess I can do it by paw....

placebo_yue

• sup
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 09:17:52 PM »
To clarify i don't need the art scraping. I did all that already. I need the metadata, and apparently AM needs it in the romlist.
You say naming the system properly will make thegames.db work? i'll give that a try then. It won't overwrite my snaps, videos and such, right? because i like the ones i have

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 10:10:51 PM »
1. AM will only scrape artwork if you choose "Scrape Artwork" instead of "Generate Collection/Rom List".

2. Any scraper artwork or overviews AM downloads will be stored in /attract/scraper. Unless this is where you store your artwork, you'll be fine.

3. If you still have concerns, turn off all the scraping settings. Configure-->Scraper
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 10:12:50 PM by progets »

placebo_yue

• sup
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 03:20:51 AM »
I'm getting a "couldn't resolve host name" error with the metadata scraping apparently. I'm positive i've set the system name as thegamesdb does, since i copied and pasted it right as it was on the website.

How do i fix that error?

edit: Tried a newer version of AM that allegedly fixed the issue, and now the romlist generation takes a few extra seconds, so apparently it is doing the request, but no metadata is retreived whatsoever.

edit2: the artwork scraper ain't working either. Has anyone made this work? I think i'll just resort to the catver.ini and Nplayers.ini, which is a pain in the ass and it's not the full information but at least i can rely on myself and the information i fill in by hand.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 04:17:22 AM by placebo_yue »

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 09:55:46 AM »
I use the newest version of AM and everything works fine for me.

you need to make sure though that your system is set exactly as gamesbd will see it. That is go to the website and from there you can look at the list and then set it correctly in AM.

placebo_yue

• sup
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 01:53:41 PM »
I downloaded the last AM version from github (can you confirm which version you use please?) and copied the platform name right from thegamesdb, so i'm 100% positive it's the same.
It makes no sense, it should work in theory

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 02:24:54 PM »
I'm getting a "couldn't resolve host name" error with the metadata scraping apparently.

This sounds like a DNS issue or your computer is not connected to the internet.

Ping thegamesdb.net from the command line of your AM machine.

placebo_yue

• sup
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 04:47:12 PM »
This error dissapeared when i updated AM btw.
The version i been using was stuck on that gamesdb API limbo we've been for months. It wasn't a problem on my end
But the new one, although it takes some extra time to generate the romlist, and doesn't give me that error, doesn't scrape a thing

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 04:53:29 PM »
Generating a romlist shouldn't scrape anything but it should get the additional information to build the romlist. Look at the romlist and see if it contains more than just the rom names, if it does then it's working properly. If not, post your emulator.cfg for the system your trying.

Older versions of AM won't be able to get the additional information for the romlist or scrape artwork due to changes in thegamesdb.net website.

placebo_yue

• sup
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 08:00:08 PM »
Generating a romlist shouldn't scrape anything
i know i meant the rom metadata. MAME roms get it automatically from that other listxlm source, whatever it is.

this is my NES .cfg
keep in mind that i modified it a lot of times when trying things, and i grabbed this from my regular older version of AM, the new one i deleted until i get something to work with from you guys. I tried everything i've been told with the new AM and it didn't work so i deleted it to keep things clean until im certain it works.
so something might be off now. But still, if you see anything weird let me know

Code: [Select]
# Generated by Attract-Mode v2.5.1
#
executable           C:\Users\w\Desktop\Emuladores\NES\Mesen.exe
args                 "[romfilename]" -fullscreen
rompath              C:\Users\w\Desktop\Emuladores\NES\ROMS
romext               .nes;.unf;.unif;.fds;.zip;.rar;.7z
system               Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
info_source          thegamesdb.net
artwork    flyer           C:\Users\w\Desktop\Emuladores\FRONTEND\attract\menu-art\flyer
artwork    flyer3D         C:\Users\w\Desktop\emuladores\FRONTEND\attract\menu-art\flyer3D
artwork    marquee         C:\Users\w\Desktop\Emuladores\FRONTEND\attract\menu-art\marquee
artwork    snap            C:\Users\w\Desktop\Emuladores\FRONTEND\attract\menu-art\snap
artwork    support         C:\Users\w\desktop\emuladores\FRONTEND\attract\menu-art\support
artwork    wheel           C:\Users\w\Desktop\Emuladores\FRONTEND\attract\menu-art\wheel