Author Topic: Starting on a fresh image?  (Read 1632 times)

Fable Son

• View Profile
Starting on a fresh image?
« on: May 31, 2020, 11:15:29 PM »
Hey.

So first I Installed through experimental. Then followed MadLittlePixel's video to add the "switch to attract mode" option in the configuration menu.
It started fine, but the setup menu in Attract mode was missing.
Then I deleted it, and followed another MadLittlePixel's video on how to install Attract Mode from the prompt, instead of experimental menu. And now I can't even get Attract mode to start up 🤦🏼‍♂️
If I need to start all over on a fresh image. What will be the best way to get a clean Attract Mode installed?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Starting on a fresh image?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 11:32:57 PM »
If you're using a RetroPie image, follow the Pi F.A.Q http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1249.msg9046#msg9046. You will see in #1 that you should never mix a command line install and a RetroPie menu install, this will only lead to problems.

If you're using a Pi 4 (instead of a Pi 1, 2 or 3) you need to set it up differently, see the WIKI https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki/Compiling-on-the-Raspberry-Pi-4-(Raspbian-Buster). The script I mention below would need to be modified to be used on a Pi 4.

I, and most others on the forum, would recommend installing AM from the command line and not from the RetroPie menu. My advice is that you start with a new image and not mix a command line install/upgrade with a RetroPie menu install/upgrade of AM. If you decide to do an AM command line install, look at #9 in the F.A.Q. to see the script that will give you the menus to switch between AM and ES (among other things).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 11:41:42 PM by progets »

Fable Son

• View Profile
Re: Starting on a fresh image?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 11:53:58 PM »
Thanks for the quick respond. I will format my sd card, put a fresh Retropie on it. And install Attract Mode from the command line, and follow the F.A.Q guide.
I'm on a Pi3B.
It's odd that MLP's 3 year videos don't work any more. He schould delete them, and make some new ones 😁