Author Topic: How to add a sorting option based on tag list order  (Read 3878 times)

Neil

• View Profile
How to add a sorting option based on tag list order
« on: February 01, 2019, 10:45:06 PM »
Is such a thing possible?

One example I have is that I've been wanting to sort CPS, CPS2, CPS3 games by their exact release date, the best I can do is by year but then it sorts the same year games by alphabetical order. I'd like to have them numbered based on their entry in Capcom's catalog. Is there a way to do so?

rand0m

• View Profile
Re: How to add a sorting option based on tag list order
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 11:10:46 PM »
1. You can use "No Sort" so AM will display the games in same order as in tag-list. That will require manually placing the items in list.
2. You can use [Extra] and use that for sorting, That will still require to manually add the data (say release date in numbers 10/jan/2010 becomes 2010-01-10)

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 11:34:07 PM »
1. You can use "No Sort" so AM will display the games in same order as in tag-list. That will require manually placing the items in list.
2. You can use [Extra] and use that for sorting, That will still require to manually add the data (say release date in numbers 10/jan/2010 becomes 2010-01-10)

Excellent advice. I was replying but your post came out first and matched my exact thoughts.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 12:29:35 AM »
FYI - I created a new thread for MAME tagging. You can find it here http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=2767.msg19147#msg19147. It might help for what you are trying to accomplish by simply reordering the file names or using the "Extra" field of the romlist as described above.

Neil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 08:26:21 AM »
Thank you!

So just to update this: the "no sort" option doesn't work for me. Even if I put Forgotten Worlds at the very top in the list in the cps.tag it ends up sorting the games by alphabetical order and not by rom file name order which is what seems to happen when going to "name". For example in the case of CPS games if I go by "name" 3 wonders appears at the top since the rom is called 3wonders.zip, but in "no sort" it starts with Alien VS Predator iirc.

From my testing leaving it to "no sort" puts them in alphabetical order based on the name in the database instead of file name, so 3 wonders goes to "T" as Three Wonders.

I'm going to try the Extra category and try putting in full release dates to the Mame.txt

Also thanks Progets for those lists, those will come in handy!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 08:28:44 AM by Neil »

Neil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 08:37:32 AM »
So sorting "by year" with the added info (example: 1991-11-27) worked. Extra didn't work. I'm not sure what extra does actually, but thanks a bunch for the tip on adding the exact release dates.

rand0m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 10:51:25 AM »
Thank you!

So just to update this: the "no sort" option doesn't work for me. Even if I put Forgotten Worlds at the very top in the list in the cps.tag it ends up sorting the games by alphabetical order and not by rom file name order which is what seems to happen when going to "name". For example in the case of CPS games if I go by "name" 3 wonders appears at the top since the rom is called 3wonders.zip, but in "no sort" it starts with Alien VS Predator iirc.

From my testing leaving it to "no sort" puts them in alphabetical order based on the name in the database instead of file name, so 3 wonders goes to "T" as Three Wonders.

I'm going to try the Extra category and try putting in full release dates to the Mame.txt

Also thanks Progets for those lists, those will come in handy!

1- After "No Sort" your system entry in "attract.cfg" should not have any "sort_by          Name/Title/Year" entry. If there is one you can delete it then check again. (Plz make a backup of attract.cfg just in case)

2- Declare and call [Extra] in layout, write something/ anything in extra field and call it.
Code: [Select]
local extras = fe.add_text ("[Extra]", 100,100, 200,200); 
FYI - I created a new thread for MAME tagging. You can find it here http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=2767.msg19147#msg19147. It might help for what you are trying to accomplish by simply reordering the file names or using the "Extra" field of the romlist as described above.

Those lists will be of great help to rest of the community progets, thanks.

Neil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 07:13:32 AM »
Thank you that worked too.