Author Topic: Hyperspin themes in Attract-mode  (Read 38123 times)

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hyperspin themes in Attract-mode
« on: February 16, 2016, 10:18:46 PM »
Hi guys,

I thought I'd share what I've been plugging away at a bit lately... here is an video example of what the newest development version of Attract-Mode will do if you start feeding it hyperspin themes:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-9bDWtWmD2DMU9lX2JOV2xkUmc/view?usp=sharing

This is from a (pretty crappy) notebook running my development environment on debian linux.  The hyperspin interpretation is missing a bunch of stuff, but it is all happening from a squirrel script just like any other attract-mode layout!

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperspin themes in Attract-mode
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 12:09:27 PM »
Raygun-

Awesome stuff man, so it's safe to assume it's not a resource pig like hyperspin either. This is like manta from the heavens.

Mettekr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 12:43:08 PM »
This would effectively make Hyperspin irrelevant in my mind. The only thing AM is "missing" is the sexy starting screen where you choose which system you want to go into.

ralf667

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 08:48:28 PM »
Like it !!!

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 09:06:41 PM »
This would effectively make Hyperspin irrelevant in my mind. The only thing AM is "missing" is the sexy starting screen where you choose which system you want to go into.

That will be an option in the new version... in the video posted above, the part where there are no wheel images showing is actually the "Displays Menu" in Attract-Mode (which can be customized now).  I've got it set up to show the HyperSpin system theme that corresponds to the display name as you move through the menu.  You can also configure Attract-Mode to launch straight into the displays menu if you want to start at a system selection screen...

necrosis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 12:18:26 AM »
This is looking great. Looking forward to trying it.
Never used hyperspin but like the system selection, so will be great to be able to configure this in AM.

Mettekr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 06:22:22 AM »

That will be an option in the new version... in the video posted above, the part where there are no wheel images showing is actually the "Displays Menu" in Attract-Mode (which can be customized now).  I've got it set up to show the HyperSpin system theme that corresponds to the display name as you move through the menu.  You can also configure Attract-Mode to launch straight into the displays menu if you want to start at a system selection screen...

That's awesome, man. Seriously, attract-mode is amazing. It's so lite and so much easier than Hyperspin and is catching up to it in flashiness, but can remain simple and clean looking to (like emulationstation). Plus it runs on Linux...this should be way more popular than it is.

retrogam3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 08:50:36 AM »
OMG this is amazing ;D I can't wait for this...Don't care too much about the Hyperspin clone theme, but the ability to choose system before the layout is killer! Great Work!

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 08:55:12 AM »
Agreed! I've been trying to have the theme based on the emulator, but with being able to select the system, that won't matter as much...

(I'm hoping Nevato gets release with the next version too)...

slydog43

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 06:47:58 PM »

I'm confused, is there a way to in the new version (2.0?) that allows a top level system selection menu, or do you have to customize the display menu.  can't believe this works at all.  Great work, can't wait to test this out.   Thanks

ok this seems to work, this is truely an amazing feature of AM.  This should make it go mainstrean.  I want to see more discussion about this feature.
Hoping that I can point my media to another directory in the future so I can still use HyperSync to get media (I guess I can change hypersync, but its working so well now I hate to change anything with it.

lets talk more about this feature.

I also need a little help setting this up better.  I only have mame working, but want multiple systems working.  Can someone explain this a little more, thanks
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 12:57:36 PM by slydog43 »

slydog43

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 07:53:17 AM »
Can someone post their attract.cfg and directory structure under attractmode, Can't seem to get multiple systems working, just a black screen

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 08:39:36 AM »
FYI-

Here is what you do to get the hyperspin themes working. This is for individual themes, not the main menu themes. I'll touch on that later. 

Step one, copy your hyperspin media folder to the AM layouts folder. Your media folder should have sub-folders of different systems in it like MAME, Atari 2600, etc...

Step two, configure display names to match the sub-folder system names, like MAME for example.

Step three, configure the display names to use the Media folder for the layouts. So for example, the MAME display will use the "Media" folder the layout. If you already have a MAME display created then just change the layout selection to use "Media".  Basically, AM looks in the Media folder for a match to the display name.

Now, just rinse and repeat for other displays.  Also, make sure you don't have any sub-folders folders in the theme folders, only zip files, as this might make AM crash.

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 10:55:33 AM »
This should have a video tutorial... did all that but does not work

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 12:33:05 PM »
ryuuji-

Make sure you have attract 2.0.0 release candidate #2 or it will not work.

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 03:50:10 AM »
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 05:36:29 AM by ryuuji »