Author Topic: Arcadeflow theme v 17.1 [Release] Updated 22 March 2024  (Read 547751 times)

Enkak

• View Profile
Re: Arcadeflow theme v 4.4 [Release] Updated 9 May 2019
« Reply #330 on: May 21, 2019, 12:28:32 PM »
It’s something like this: when the layout is loaded some emulator data is read, so if the emulator has category Arcade, Console or Handheld the theme reacts accordingly and changes the way some parts of the UI are drawn. The problem is that when you change display, and the display layout is the same, the layout is not reloaded but only the list of games. Therefore everything that’s dynamically updated during tonewlist transition is updated, but the parts of the GUI that are set up during the layout startup are not changed.

I found a workaround: when a tonewlist transition is triggered and the display is not the same, the layout is reloaded. This is a bit slower but it works (i.e. 4.5 is going to be released before the end of the  week.

Another option would be to make the whole ui drawing dynamic. It’s not impossible and would mean faster display changes, but it’s a lot of work and I’m not going to do it now (or 4.5 will be delayed, and we don’t want that)

Ah, the idea that you talked before using the "system" part of the emulator cfg file to load each kind of display (Arcade, Consoles, handhelds)?

Glad that you have found a middle-ground solution. Looking forward to 4.5 and how things will look and work. :)

spelunkyguy

• View Profile
Re: Arcadeflow theme v 4.4 [Release] Updated 9 May 2019
« Reply #331 on: May 22, 2019, 06:17:50 PM »
This is looking super promising, can't wait for the release. You're an absolute legend zpaolo!

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
Re: Arcadeflow theme v 4.5 [Release] Updated 24 May 2019
« Reply #332 on: May 23, 2019, 08:08:59 AM »
Arcadeflow 4.5 is out, support for console games, box art, handheld snaps, bells and whistles, some new category artwork and hopefully not many bugs :D

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:33:26 AM by zpaolo11x »

blinkybill

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 23, 2019, 08:43:18 AM »
Arcadeflow 4.5 is out, support for console games, box art, handheld snaps, bells and whistles, some new category artwork and hopefully not many bugs :D

Enjoy!
I registered to this forum just to say a huge thanks for this theme and the frequent updates. it was just what i was looking for.
if you need any Photoshop help, feel free to PM me. You saved me tons of work and i'll be glad to give back.

dukpoki

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 23, 2019, 10:24:44 AM »
hmm boxart isn't working for me.  I enable it in the options but I still get snaps with wheels over it.  I have my system cfgs pointing to "flyer" for artwork.  (which would be boxart for consoles and flyers for arcades).  Any ideas?

arthurvalenca

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 23, 2019, 11:51:03 AM »

I need a help, I would like to know how to put the boxes of the games to appear in the list of games, I did not quite understand how to do this.

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #336 on: May 23, 2019, 11:57:56 AM »
Sorry I wasn't precise enough in my explanation: to enable box art mode, you also need to go in the Attract Mode menu, "Emulators", select the emulator that needs box arts and then in the "System Identifier" field you need to add "Console". So if for example your Sega Genesis has a system identifier "Genesis; Megadrive" just make it "Genesis;Megadrive;Console" and it should work.

In a perfect world AM should be able to set "per-display" settings, when this happens you will be able to tune each display with its own settings, but until then I thought this was a good workaround, so if you add "Console" to system identifier you'll get boxart mode, plus if you add "Handheld" you'll get non-stretched snapshots
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:11:42 PM by zpaolo11x »

arthurvalenca

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 23, 2019, 02:34:52 PM »
Sorry I wasn't precise enough in my explanation: to enable box art mode, you also need to go in the Attract Mode menu, "Emulators", select the emulator that needs box arts and then in the "System Identifier" field you need to add "Console". So if for example your Sega Genesis has a system identifier "Genesis; Megadrive" just make it "Genesis;Megadrive;Console" and it should work.

In a perfect world AM should be able to set "per-display" settings, when this happens you will be able to tune each display with its own settings, but until then I thought this was a good workaround, so if you add "Console" to system identifier you'll get boxart mode, plus if you add "Handheld" you'll get non-stretched snapshots

It worked perfectly, and it was very beautiful, thank you.

spelunkyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 23, 2019, 08:15:48 PM »
Hmm, I must be doing something wrong on my end. After adding "Console" to the system identifier and enabling boxart mode, I do see the proper aspect ratio applied to all the boxarts, and it looks great. I'm no longer seeing video snaps for the currently selected game however. Right now I'm using flyer, snap and wheel for the art types, but I messed around with a few different combinations and couldn't make a change. Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your fantastic work so far, too!!

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 23, 2019, 10:03:23 PM »
In a perfect world AM should be able to set "per-display" settings

This has existed for a while. Configure-->Controls-->Layout Options=<your_button>. Go into a specific display and press <your_button> and any changes made here will apply to this specific display only (even if your using the same layout with other displays).

These same changes can also be modified globally the traditional way. Configure-->Displays--><system>-->Layout Options.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:05:50 PM by progets »

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #340 on: May 23, 2019, 10:43:46 PM »
This has existed for a while. Configure-->Controls-->Layout Options=<your_button>. Go into a specific display and press <your_button> and any changes made here will apply to this specific display only (even if your using the same layout with other displays).

These same changes can also be modified globally the traditional way. Configure-->Displays--><system>-->Layout Options.

I tried already and it actually doesn't work for me (at least on my Mac and AM 2.5.1). If the layout is the same for all displays the settings are shared.

But since the feedback from using "System Identifier" is good, I think I'll stick with that: shared settings and the options for the user to activate custom per-emulator options is nice. Per-display settings would mean the need to change all settings for every display if you want to apply a global change.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:51:01 PM by zpaolo11x »

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #341 on: May 23, 2019, 10:45:34 PM »
Hmm, I must be doing something wrong on my end.

No you are not, in 4.5 I disabled videos overlay when in box art mode, it was too complicated to fit them to systems with vertical boxes like Genesis or Master System. I plan to put it back though, but before that I'm going to rewrite the whole tiles drawing routine so it can dynamically switch aspect ratios, and this will take a bit longer...

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #342 on: May 23, 2019, 10:48:17 PM »
It worked perfectly, and it was very beautiful, thank you.

Good to know, glad you like it!

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 23, 2019, 11:03:04 PM »

I tried already and it actually doesn't work for me (at least on my Mac and AM 2.5.1). If the layout is the same for all displays the settings are shared.

But since the feedback from using "System Identifier" is good, I think I'll stick with that: shared settings and the options for the user to activate custom per-emulator options is nice. Per-display settings would mean the need to change all settings for every display if you want to apply a global change.

You don't see it because you haven't included it in your layout.nut file. You can read about it here https://github.com/mickelson/attract/commit/f55779e54ab04305c3604a3f0b894b5e95ce0888.

I'm not suggesting you change your layout. I just want you to know that per display settings are possible. Knowledge is power whether you use it or not.

Another cleaver solution might be to have a layout.nut, arcade.nut, console.nut, handheld.nut in the same layout and toggle them per display to get your desired results. You can read about this here https://github.com/mickelson/attract/commit/7b1cc07f2274cca87d11e928a1fdc598d876bc6a.

Again, I'm not asking for any change. I just want people to understand all the options to help improve other/different future layouts.

P.S. I forgot that the layout.nut required the "per_display" option in the UserConfig parameters in my prior post.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 11:15:22 PM by progets »

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #344 on: May 23, 2019, 11:49:36 PM »
You don't see it because you haven't included it in your layout.nut file. You can read about it here https://github.com/mickelson/attract/commit/f55779e54ab04305c3604a3f0b894b5e95ce0888.

Wait wait wait... this commit is a year old and I completely missed it! Thank you for the tip, this is great news (old news maybe :D ).

I'm not suggesting you change your layout. I just want you to know that per display settings are possible. Knowledge is power whether you use it or not.

Absolutely, I'm wondering how it will work when changing displays: right now if the layout is the same and I change display, the layout is not reloaded, only the list, so user options are not updated. Maybe having per-display parameters will force the layout to reload? Anyway this is something I absolutely want to test, especially since there are now "global" and "per-display" parameters, which is extremely good!

Another cleaver solution might be to have a layout.nut, arcade.nut, console.nut, handheld.nut in the same layout and toggle them per display to get your desired results. You can read about this here https://github.com/mickelson/attract/commit/7b1cc07f2274cca87d11e928a1fdc598d876bc6a.

This might be a good solution but I prefer to stuff my layout with thousands of code lines so it becomes a mess to maintain and edit LOL