Author Topic: Running Final Burn Alpha from Attract Mode?  (Read 4068 times)

rsn8887

• View Profile
Running Final Burn Alpha from Attract Mode?
« on: December 11, 2015, 10:22:07 PM »
Hello,
I am trying to run Final Burn Alpha 02937 from Attract Mode 1.6.2, and I cannot get it to switch to the game display. I briefly see the Final Burn loading progress indicator come up, but then just a frozen Attract Mode screen.

I cannot even switch to the Final Burn screen using alt Tab. It is just not there, but it shows up in task manager and I can hear the game sound, so Attract Mode seems to be launching it. There's just no image.

When I start Final Burn from the command line using cmd.exe it works just fine.

This is on Windows 10. I tried both 32bit and 64bit versions of Finalburn, and I tried the various blitters in Final Burn and the various options under Attract Mode general, but it just won't work.

Has anyone gotten Final Burn 0.29.37 to work with Attract Mode 1.6.2?

EDIT: I got it to work. I switched the resolution to 1024*768 instead of my native 1280*1024. How lame that it doesn't work at my native resolution when I launch it from Attract Mode, but it works when I launch it via cmd.exe.

EDIT2: Coming from an XBox Classic with Madmab edition emulators, I am really disappointed what a buggy chaos the fullscreen options in all the emulators for PC are. Most don't support pre-scaling (resulting in a blurry display) and many crash as soon as you start experimenting with the fullscreen options, they switch needlessly from window to fullscreen mode all the time, many have aspect ratio options that never give the correct ratio, or it takes me forever to find blitter settings that look at least ok. Some support OpenGL but not DirectX, some only support a certain version of DirectX, but not OpenGL. I almost want to quit this project.

On top of that many emulators switch between full screen and windowed if you try to configure them and of course, they can not be configured when in fullscreen mode. And they can only be configured with a mouse. What a complete mess! Of course, NONE of the emulators have overscan modes to simulate the overscan of the old CRTs. All of this works perfect on the old Xbox, and most of these problems have been solved on the old Sony PSP and even on modern Android devices (the emulators there are 100 times more user-friendly than anything I have seen on PC in the last few weeks). It shows me once again how the emulators on consoles and mobile devices have now completely overtaken anything available on PC.

Attract Mode is wonderful, though.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 10:49:23 PM by rsn8887 »

rsn8887

• View Profile
Re: Running Final Burn Alpha from Attract Mode?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 08:20:01 PM »
I found that this problem is related to launching AM 1.6.2 from the Windows GUI. If I launch it from a command prompt it works fine even in my native resolution. I posted the issue to the gut repo.