Author Topic: How to install Attract-mode in Ubuntu 18.04 lts?  (Read 8636 times)

originalhammer

• View Profile
How to install Attract-mode in Ubuntu 18.04 lts?
« on: April 29, 2018, 11:20:33 AM »
I did not succeed in installing attract-mode either using the ppa method or using .deb. If anyone has a solution and would like to share, I would appreciate it.

wrybread

• View Profile
Re: How to install Attract-mode in Ubuntu 18.04 lts?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 07:06:37 PM »
It's been awhile, but I think I installed it using good ol apt-get.

sudo apt-get install attract1

That installed version 2.2 which, looking at the Attract Mode homepage, isn't the latest version (2.3 is). But the .deb available on the site is 2.2 also, so maybe 2.3 isn't available for Linux yet.

Anyway, version 2.2 is working beautifully on both Lubuntu machines I have it installed on.

One thing to note is that it installs to a hidden folder for some reason (~/.attract).

Feel free to post if you have any issues or questions.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:08:22 PM by wrybread »

originalhammer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 08:41:02 PM »
I can install Attract-mode on ubuntu 16.04 and its derivatives, it happens that in version 18.04 of ubuntu is not being possible, but I believe it is for the reason of having been released on April 26, and the size for that version has not yet occurred . The .deb installer also does not work, as it is not yet possible to install the required dependencies. Anyway thank you very much for the attention, I know that some time there should be some update in the ppa or someone can get some gambiarra to be successful in the installation.

erevans

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 05:46:29 PM »
I was able to install on a fresh install of Xubuntu 18.04.

Disclaimer:  I am only slightly above noob in Linux.

I added the repo:
Code: [Select]
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:daveg/attract
sudo apt-get update
I then navigated to /etc/apt/sources.list and double-clicked it.  It opened Software & Updates.
I clicked on the Other Software tab, clicked the
"http://ppa.launchpad.net/daveg/attract/ubuntu bionic main" entry, clicked Edit... and changed it to:
"http://ppa.launchpad.net/daveg/attract/ubuntu yakkety main" and clicked OK.

Then:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install attract

Then I patted myself on the back.