Author Topic: [HELP]Dual screen monitor AM  (Read 6433 times)

arthurvalenca

• View Profile
[HELP]Dual screen monitor AM
« on: November 22, 2017, 08:20:09 AM »
I'm having a problem with the new Attract Mode 2.3, I'm using a main monitor for the 22 'monitor games, and another 10' monitor to show up the game marques, as I saw on the attract fix it has fixed the dual monitor function , in the frontend I managed to make it work perfectly and it seems like the marquee in the smaller monitor, but the detail and the following when I start the game the marquee disappears from the smaller monitor, and when I leave the game it comes back, has anyone ever come across this problem? To be able to give a help? :'(

before running the emulator looks like this:

After running the emulator this happens:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 02:59:20 PM by arthurvalenca »

Max_FS

• View Profile
Re: [HELP]Dual screen monitor AM
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 12:30:01 AM »
Hi Arthur,

your problem seems familiar to me, I encountered it with the last version of attract mode where I used a second screen monitor with help of a certain workaround and now I have the problem again with the latest version of attract mode when using the multimon plugin.

I do not yet have a solution but there are some things i recognized.

In the older version of attract mode, the plugin did not work for me. However, I was able to display a marquee graphic on the second screen by editing the theme file. I just placed an image with coordinates outside of the range of the resolution of my primary monitor and it suddenly appeared on the second monitor. It basically worked but was not sufficiently satisfying (some graphics were stretched, some not well placed etc.). However, it worked in the frontend and it worked with the emulator running.
But, it only worked with standard MAME. With all other emulators, including Groovymame, Vice etc, it only worked in the frontend and disappeared, when starting the emulator.
Now I use the new version of attract mode with the multimon-plugin and without my workaround. Within the frontend it works perfectly, but after starting Groovymame or Vice, the marquee disappears. I did not test it with standard MAME, maybe this would work.

I can not say this for Groovymame, but I recognized that emulators like vice or WinUAe used parts of the second screen. Vice starts in window-mode and is displayed on both screens.
Therefore I think the problem may be that something else is displayed on the second screen that is irritating attract mode so it wont display the marquee on the second screen. It may be an emulator or maybe also something like the taskbar.

What are the emulators you were using when having this problem?

Max_FS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 01:26:38 AM »
In addition to my previous post: With the new version of AM I have the same problem both with standard mame and Groovy Mame. Strange indeed...

Max_FS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 01:48:59 PM »
Something more to add:

Could it be possible that the marquee it is not to be intended to be shown on the second screen after the emulator was started?
Following the link below, one may think that. However, there seems to be a solution for that problem to be found there.
https://github.com/mickelson/attract/pull/405

As described there, I changed the fe_window.cpp (and some other file) and compiled a new attract.exe

Now it is better but it still doesn't work as expected.
When starting Groovymame, the second screen becomes black from one second to another.
Then, with some emulator the second screen stays visible for some seconds (Model2 Emulator).
With the next Emulator (Vice) the second screen stays visible permanently but also some window is shown.
Only WinUAe works well, the second screen stays visible without any problems.

Is this helpful to anyone? Is there somebody who has additional ideas to deal with the problem?

Watanabe666

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 05:36:44 PM »
Sorry, but I'm using google translator.
I noticed that some emulators were using part of the second monitor so I got some progress looking for how about forcing a program to run on a specific monitor.
It did not work on all emulators but mostly the second combination: Hit the Windows key + Shift + Enter.
Link below
https://superuser.com/questions/738081/how-to-make-applications-open-on-the-correct-monitor-when-using-multiple-monitor

myriadgamers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 10:46:27 AM »
That is a really neat idea having the Marquee like that. I hope you get this fixed or figured out. I personally think I would like to something similar to this in my next build and I think I have the perfect monitor for it.
Arcade Machine 1:
AMD 8350 black 4ghz 8 Cores
20 gigs of DDR 3 Ram
500 gb SSD
4 tb Storage drive

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 07:09:41 AM »
do you have the artwork set up in mame? i use a 20 inch monitor for my marquee but you have to set up the artwork folders in mame. however it is time consuming... lol

we came , we saw , we lost LOTS of quarters...

Win 7
Asus mobo amd 64bit 3core
12g ram
4 player. Custom built woody cab
46" plasma screen with 22" marquee

toothlessgrinn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 07:14:39 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJyqhNvwVxM&t=71s

its kinda old because the cabinet is finished i just need to update my video. but you can see how it does work and if i can ill GLADLY help

good luck!!
we came , we saw , we lost LOTS of quarters...

Win 7
Asus mobo amd 64bit 3core
12g ram
4 player. Custom built woody cab
46" plasma screen with 22" marquee