Author Topic: Rom path for external usb  (Read 3454 times)

Stevep

• View Profile
Rom path for external usb
« on: June 27, 2017, 09:17:23 PM »
I'm using an external USB for my roms.Emulationstation has no problem seeing the external drive.Apparently AM needs to be directed at the USB drive.It's currently aimed at the sd card.../home/pi/retropie/roms/emulator. It seems easy enough to redirect AM but what is the correct path? I've tried multiple combinations but nothing seems to work.

Favdeacon

• View Profile
Re: Rom path for external usb
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 10:31:54 PM »
I don't know retropie at all, but it's a Linux system, which I do have knowledge about.

According to this article retropie mounts external drives unter /media like most of today's Linux distributions. As described in the article, you can see the path to the mounted drive via the command "df -h" or simply "mount". Then, you can dive deeper into the folders with the commands "ls -l" (list the contents of the current folder) and "cd <foldername>" (go into the specified folder) until you know the whole path to attract mode's files (e.g. /media/usb0/mame).

Maybe retropie's terminal console even has tab completion to ease the typing. Then, you'd only have to type some first letters of a command or argument (e.g. the folder's name) and the tab key will complete them. Double-tabbing will show you all possible folders for the typed characters so far. Using this method, a simple "cd /media" (without pressing the Enter key!) followed by (double) tabbing and giving it some first letters of the next folder(s) could show you the whole path at the end.

I hope I could make myself somewhat clear. :) If that doesn't help, you may have to wait until someone with more retropie knowledge shows up.

edit: On the second thought, an easier way could be to learn the usb path under /media (like /media/usb0) as described above and then just add the rest of the path on the drive you can look up on any other system. Sometimes, I think too complicated.  8)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 10:44:00 PM by Favdeacon »

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »
/media/usb0/mame

Yes that would be it. :) I run everything from a USB drive...at least until sd cards are at least a terabyte..and less then $300  ::)
People want life easy..then complain about it

Stevep

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 08:06:21 PM »
Thanks..I figured it out soon after I posted but thank you anyway!