Author Topic: Attract Mode Platform Categories (arcades, consoles, etc) finally figured out!  (Read 42391 times)

Iameddysmith

• View Profile
The long behold question of Attract Mode Platform Categories has been solved! I have been racking my brain for months and after trolling the source line by line I finally found a lead and was a success. Only thing, which I don't believe will be a hard task for some of you very experienced themes is some sort of transition call back to previous menu. This is a huge leap in the right direction. Enjoy friends!

UPDATE***** Plug in created! Fully functional for all PC, PI, etc!
https://mega.nz/#F!v55CDDKQ!wXlmnT3LWCpxs024b_ADnA
Video tutorials thanks to Hector Arias
https://youtu.be/M2F3lEQxVRw
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 06:24:43 PM by Iameddysmith »

bundangdon

• View Profile
Amazing! Thank you very much for sharing this! I was able to figure it out within a few minutes after I followed the steps you provided, and now have functional platform categories  :D My only complaint is that when you go back to the previous menu, it always takes you back to the platform categories menu (not the previous menu with "consoles" "handhelds" etc.) Is there any way to fix this issue?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 06:03:04 AM by bundangdon »

Iameddysmith

• View Profile
That's the only issue I've been trying to resolve. I'm not a pro at coding layouts, but I was hoping that posting this here that an experienced layout creator may have a fix that may be added to layout.nut. I've been looking through documentation and have a hunch on how could be done, but not sure how to code it. I'm thinking that if a layout stored the previous display in fe.nv table as a variable, and on user trigger back button could call back that stored variable display. There is not much documentation on writing to fe.nv for me to try. It's a big step in the right direction, but not perfect yet. There are a lot of experienced people here that this may be a simple fix, but can get more of an overview.

bundangdon

• View Profile
Okay. Then hopefully it'll get figured out someday soon because this is a rather inconvenient bug with the option to use platform categories, and for now I've turned off the platform categories until it becomes resolved  ::)

Iameddysmith

• View Profile
I added the fix. It takes a little time, but it works. Added to the link "Platform Back Fix".

bundangdon

• View Profile
I added the fix. It takes a little time, but it works. Added to the link "Platform Back Fix".

Thank you! I'll give it a try. But just wondering, where do I put those .nut files (arcades.nut, collections.nut, etc.)? In the same folder as the the layout for the main menu or the layout used by each system?

Iameddysmith

• View Profile
In each layout folder, ex: Atari 2600 put the console.nut in layout folder. Then editing the layout.nut. if you open up consoles.nut it'll show what to add. This is a temp fix until I get plug in up and working.

bundangdon

• View Profile
No luck at all getting that to work  :o Guess I'll just wait until a easier solution becomes available

Iameddysmith

• View Profile
Pi plugin is added to link above. Move platform folder into your plugins folder and enable in attract mode. Good to go. Pc version will be added tonight

bundangdon

• View Profile
Genius! Within 10 minutes I was able to figure out how to set it up, although the whole "\\ not \" part had me a little confused for a while  ::) Anyways, thank you very much! A little later I'll post a video of my attractmode setup with platform categories

Iameddysmith

• View Profile
Awesome! Look forward to it! I think this is a game changer for attract mode! If you have any recommendations please let me know. I'm thinking about adding a "hacks" category too.

bundangdon

• View Profile
Yep! Since there are so many different consoles, spanning from generation to generation, I decided to break them up into two categories: "Classics" (pre-1990) and "Consoles" (1990-present). Of course you could do this with computers too, but the majority of the (emulated) computers were released before 1990  ;D

taelonian

• View Profile
Thanks to all this works great tested PC version  :)

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
could some one please do a small tuit on this or vid,   thanks
help a friend....