Author Topic: Just a random idiot who needs some help...  (Read 1342 times)

momentarydogma

• View Profile
Just a random idiot who needs some help...
« on: March 13, 2022, 07:07:11 PM »
I'm sure everyone will tell me that this has been covered somewhere on this forum, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my specific controls set up... I'm using an image on an RPi3B+ which is inside of an Arcade1Up Centipede cabinet. I have six buttons and a trackball (no joystick). I am able to set everything up just fine so that the trackball can navigate both the menu and the games, but when I exit Attract Mode in order to set up my WiFi within Emulation Station, it recognizes my "controller" (standard zero delay encoder) and asks me to set it up. The problem is that I don't have enough buttons to do so and it won't let me skip any given input by holding any single button down-- I just get stuck after I've exhausted all of my button options. To get around this, I unplugged my encoder and plugged in a more standard joystick with an eight button layout. Upon doing so, I was able to map the joystick and buttons within ES and proceeded to set up my WiFi, but when I unplugged that joystick and booted back into Attract Mode, my main encoder (again, six buttons and trackball) are not recognized within games. They work perfectly fine for navigating the AM menus, but within games, I am now unable to configure the controls. I hit tab on the keyboard in a game to set up the general input, but the system doesn't recognize my buttons at all. I re-burned the original image from scratch and was able to set it up with no problems, but I cannot figure out how to exit Attract Mode in order to set anything else up properly. Every time I go to Emulation Station, it resets my controls and they are no longer recognized within AM. Any ideas?

Mark Norville

• View Profile
Re: Just a random idiot who needs some help...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 12:16:09 AM »
So you are trying to use Arcade 1Up

Yet you are using ES and then AM front ends to get this to work.

Your best bet is use youtube and look for videos on set ups. I know ETA prime, Cooltoy has done one before.

I don't have a 1up and I don't think anyone else has mentioned owning one so your help might be limited here, especially if you are using third party images etc

Regards

Mark
Well I am back a new PC I7 4790K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Windows 10. Hopefully will get delivered at weekend.

Computer Specs : I7 3770K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Win 10
HD Specs : 1 x 1 TB SSD + 4 x 8 TB = 33 TB (fullish)
First system : ZX81 (Yes I am an old fart)
PS Network : MarkNorvile
Xbox : Mark Norville

momentarydogma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 10:59:39 AM »
Whether it's an Arcade1Up or not isn't really relevant-- basically the only thing I'm using is the wood from the cabinet. Controls are all pretty standard for any other cabinet build (connected to a zero delay encoder and then to the Pi). I've done this plenty of times before, just not with a machine that has no joystick, so when I go into ES it recognizes that a controller is connected but it forces me to assign buttons for U,D,L,R, etc. Once I run out of buttons to assign, it doesn't allow me to go any further, even if I try to hold down any given button in order to skip that specific configuration. If I just do it with the keyboard instead, it resets my in-game button configurations to keyboard only and doesn't recognize the buttons on my control panel, only the trackball...

Mark Norville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 11:26:53 AM »
In Attract Mode you can set up more than one button to do things, so if you set up attract mode using one device e.g your trackball, and then once you have the other controller in, then set that up as well.

So to give an example Controls

Quit - Add Input Esc and as long as you can get in the menu system again, which you should really have a keyboard attached, then you can map the other buttons just by going back to Quit and add another input. So it will save two different inputs so if one is not plugged in, then it will see the other and work (or should do)

Firstly, you are using someone else's image so that is classified as not a stock version of Attract Mode.

Attract Mode is open source, so you might have someone do modifications to it and then place it onto an image with changes that are not present in the stock version.

Also this is not the ES (Emulation Station forum) wrong turn Clyde.

So really you need to ask in the ES forums.

You are asking us about an image that you have, that we might have never seen before, so we do not have a clue about how it works.

However, do you have a keyboard installed at the same time? Silly question, but cannot you program buttons on your control panel, and then use keyboard presses for the rest?

If you just go to Youtube and look at ETA, CoolToy then you might find some information out that you might not have known. I have seen the videos before and I remember them setting up ES and I think it was two buttons that they held down to start skipping.

The majority of your question is mainly about other software and as I said before, unless people have got Arcade 1up cabinets, then they will not have experience of setting it up.

Skip to 15:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyRKFY9F3yY set up of ES or 15:19 where it says hold any button to skip. So if you hold down a button then it will skip that button rather than having to map it, even though you have said that is not working for you.

Regards

Mark
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 11:50:12 AM by Mark Norville »
Well I am back a new PC I7 4790K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Windows 10. Hopefully will get delivered at weekend.

Computer Specs : I7 3770K, 780 TI, 16 Gigs, Win 10
HD Specs : 1 x 1 TB SSD + 4 x 8 TB = 33 TB (fullish)
First system : ZX81 (Yes I am an old fart)
PS Network : MarkNorvile
Xbox : Mark Norville