Author Topic: Speed, Stability, and resource useage  (Read 4776 times)

battlecat

• View Profile
Speed, Stability, and resource useage
« on: November 18, 2015, 09:00:12 AM »
Hi:

I was wondering in compassion to emulationstataion how is Attract Mode on Speed, Stability, and resource usage.

I plan to re-purpose an older machine for my MAME cab as I tend to like playing pacman or golden axe.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

akafox

• View Profile
Re: Speed, Stability, and resource useage
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 09:21:24 AM »
Depends on the specs of the machine..what are they? What operating system, how much RAM, and speed of the cpu?
People want life easy..then complain about it

xbs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 10:53:13 AM »
It's pretty snappy in Win XP on a AMD 939 2.0Ghz and 1.5Gb of RAM.

battlecat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 08:12:02 AM »
Hi Akafox:

Well generally speaking when someone asks that type of question its not because they have a nice super machine to use it on right? ;) I am re-purposing an older set of machines that I have in the basement laying around. I know that they have no issues with MAME playing pacman and space invaders but well sometimes the FE takes up more than it should and slows things down. Just look at those windows fancy FEs that have all the bells and whistles. Even when you take all that away they still eat up a lot of system resources.

I know that a friend has the emulation station up and running on a Raspberry Pi and its snappy. That is why I was asking about how AM stacks up in a whats your opinion way.

Thanks for all the help and keep it up.
BC

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »
Well i understand. The whole reusing thing..I still have my 400 mhz running winME for one cab ;)

let's just say any dual core 2.0ghz, 2 gb RAM and an integrated graphics will work fine..though I do have a laptop here that ran in under windows xp and it ran poorly...but the same laptop running linux it works fine..I don't know.

I do have a 1.3 with 384 mb ram running winxp..might try it and report back.
People want life easy..then complain about it

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 08:34:03 PM »
Well, there is builds of AM and Youtube videos of it running on RPI.

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=223.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQh1Xs8HhI0

I haven't built it on there yet but I do have emulationstation running on the PI. It's mostly going to depend on how intensive the AM layout you are using is. The emulation station layout is pretty basic. I doubt you'd have much issue with a similar setup.

I guess "older machine in my basement" doesn't give any idea of 'old'. Old to you might mean 5 years - or 20! But if a $25 mini-computer can run it and your "old" computer can't, it might be time to put that baby to rest ;)

tipoto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 09:19:47 PM »
The rpi2 can handle a lot of things (with a lot of work though ;) )
I have AM installed on my pi2 with retropie and it runs pretty well, I created a layout for my neogeo system that works in Full HD with video snapshots and some animations and it's perfectly smooth. I did a video to show it on the retropie forums:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNVuFV9mfZA

My project is completely in work in progress and I only worked on the neogeo layout for the moment, also the video has been recorded with a DSLR camera in 24 FPS and it doesn't look as smooth as in real.