Author Topic: Which linux distro for my dedicated retro emulation PC  (Read 6457 times)

nespcbuild

• View Profile
Which linux distro for my dedicated retro emulation PC
« on: March 07, 2016, 09:39:53 PM »
Hello!

I'm new here and hoping to get some advice from some other members. I'm looking to build a linux box dedicated solely to running attract mode and emulators. I was wondering which linux distro I should choose. My main concerns are minimal OS footprint, maximum performance, and high stability.

I have never used linux but I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to tech hardware and software. I have a basic understanding of coding/programming but nothing super advanced. I'll be building a budget PC with an LGA 1155 mobo and an Intel Celeron CPU with about 4gb of ram. It'll be running intel HD graphics out of an HDMI port on the motherboard to an HDTV in either 1080p or 720p. The PC hardware will go inside of a broken Nintendo NES. I want to be able to hide the OS as much as possible, boot strait to attract mode, control everything with game controllers (no keyboard and mouse after everything is configured).

I'm planning on primarily using ps3 and/or ps4 controllers with bluetooth connectivity and possibly NES controllers with USB adapters. I'm going in to this project expecting challenges and learning experience, so I'm not afraid of difficulties.

I've been using Hyperspin for a couple of years now and I'm looking to get away from Windows for future builds. If anyone is interested, I have a project log for my last build in the Hyperspin forum: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/2471-my-nes-pc/

My next build will be a streamlined, budget-conscious revision. If things turn out well enough, I may decide to ditch Windows and Hyperspin altogether and re-image my previous PC with linux/attract mode.

Hopefully someone can  provide some insight on which distro to start with. Any additional input is also welcome.

Thanks,

George

necrosis

• View Profile
Re: Which linux distro for my dedicated retro emulation PC
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 08:49:24 AM »
It probably depends on what emulators you are going to try and run?

A few of the emulators are stuck in 32bit builds and the like, so ease of installing 32 bit libraries should be a consideration. I considered lubunutu for that reason.

ryuuji

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 09:21:38 AM »
Distro does nor really matter (one of the big ones would deliver all the suport that you need: debian/arch based and gentoo).
What matters is the desktop environment. Go for something light (xfce,mate,lxde...).

philby85

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 12:53:26 PM »
Hi George,

There a few linux based distro's geared towards arcade gaming. Groovy Arcade and Livemame cab come to mind. Groovyarcade is great it just hasnt been updated in a long while. I just used xubuntu as my latest attempt. It's quick and light and boots quietly.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 11:55:13 AM »
As for the distro..I like http://lubuntu.net/ using the openbox desktop. It allows me to auto start needed programs and "hide" the desktop..and it uses less resources. That is just my two bits though....

As for emulators you get all of them they all work..except maybe 3DO. There is one and it does work..but it's all in Russian. :( Pinball is windows only too :(
A few of the emulators are stuck in 32bit builds and the like, so ease of installing 32 bit libraries should be a consideration. I considered lubunutu for that reason.

Yep I run 32-bit as well. Easier that way. Daphne will run 64-bit but I was bald by the time I got it!
People want life easy..then complain about it

nespcbuild

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 08:13:52 PM »
Thanks for the input guys!  :)