Author Topic: Windows 10 vs Linux on Older Laptop HP G56  (Read 7602 times)

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
Windows 10 vs Linux on Older Laptop HP G56
« on: March 10, 2016, 03:43:41 AM »
I have an older laptop with Intel integrated graphics. It did run windows 10, but I couldn't get opengl working without some hacks...and it caused problems.

What I'm getting to is that I installed lubuntu, compiled attractmode, and it is so much smoother...I mean it probably is running the way it is supposed too..

philby85

• View Profile
Re: Windows 10 vs Linux on Older Laptop HP G56
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 12:42:11 PM »
For me I like the feeling of being microsoft free for my mame setup's. I am not anti microsoft but linux is stable reliable and free. I think a linux arcade based distro of linux is a winner, but most of the ones I have tried havent been updated in a while eg: GroovyArcade and Livemame cab. I recentlly tried xubuntu with attract mode and mame and it works a treat, no major hassles and quiet boot up straight into attract mode.

hermine.potter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 04:55:27 PM »
@bionictoothpick
for this notebook should exits a valid windows xp license already?!
i know : windows xp isn't longer supported. if you're only offline or only online for getting covers and so on, xp should do it. using windows 10 on this notebook is wasting a useful windows10-license ^-^
i use xp on my old dell d610 because:
-xp license already exists
-i use different autoit-scripts
-some emulator-systems not proper available on linux (or only with work, adjustments and modifications..)
-i came from windows front (salute to my workplace. they hold on windows  ^-^)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 05:06:32 PM by hermine.potter »
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 05:51:49 PM »
@hermine.potter It has a Windows 7 Home license sticker on there...

hermine.potter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 11:27:09 PM »
@bionictoothpick
and that's a decison of personal preference:
If you're already from windows-side and you want to stay there, you can use it of course.
If you've a another/newer computer without a license, use it there and install linux on hp-notebook (it's free; but there is a little bit introduce work (install programs with bash and so on ... ).
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 09:30:07 AM »
Good discussion guys, I guess it really does come down to one's preference. Linux, does a really good job of breathing new life into older machines that is for sure. And, it pretty much rules when it comes to SoC. But, But...

I think hermine makes some good points about windows. Probably, the reason why I still prefer it over Linux for my arcade. Let's be fair, winXP and win7 are both rock solid when it comes to stability and compatibly. Keep in mind, that WinXP is based on the NT kernel which has its roots in UNIX. On the other hand, I'm starting to loath win10 the more I dig into it. So, I still prefer winXPsp3 or win 7 over it.

Here are some other pros about windows that might start a friendly flame war with the Linux enthusiasts. Like hermine pointed out, windows still has broader support for emulators and drivers. I would even argue that MAME still runs better on windows, less input lag than say SDL on Linux. Maybe, SDL2 is better but I haven't done any real testing to verify that.   

So, I still give windows the advantage for now, but this could all change in the near future. And, thanks to retroarch for bringing more emulator comparability to Linux and Android. 

philby85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 02:18:18 PM »
I have only recently started using linux as a desktop. I used MAC OSX for over ten years, before that windows,dos,amiga,atari st. Whoops my age is showing :P
There is nothing wrong with all those systems they all have there issues. With windows great support for emulation but the cost of the OS itself for every mame cab I build isnt nice. Linux is free, but not as well supported and fragmented, meaning there different installers for different flavors of linux libaries etc. For me it's the thing that holds linux back. There should be a universal installer. MAC OSX is a great system unix based and very friendly. I ran it on a PC for 5 years.
We all use mame on whatever system we feel comfortable with, OS flame wars are silly so glad there's none of that here. For me if I want to build several mame cabs Linux is the most cost effective. Just my 2 cents AUD.

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 03:02:57 PM »
OT: @Philby885

Did you ever play Gridiron on the Amiga?

One of my favorite games from back then.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 03:59:52 PM »
I miss my old Amiga...  The secret of monkey island or Eye of the beholder, anyone?               

philby85

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2016, 06:32:16 PM »
Oh my word the amazing Amiga. So sad its no longer with us. Wonderful quality of games for that machine. Great OS, true multitasking running on 7mhz  :D

slydog43

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 04:21:11 AM »
I miss my atari ST & TT.  Dungeon master anyone?

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 11:09:07 AM »
most win7 laptops sold barely run the OS due to gimped ram amount.
Hence something like lubuntu with a smaller memory footprint will excel on the same hardware.

But there is a learning curve and when it comes to some apps you do have to compile.

However windows 10 and I think win 8 now incorporates a store much like linux repositories.

on input lag, it takes a high speed camera or slowmotion/pause methods to actually see a difference between linux & windows input lag.
meaning unless you are competitively playing fighter games you probably will not be able to tell the difference with the naked eye.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 11:41:30 AM »
It's not fair! I wanted an Amiga, darn Europeans they get all  the good stuff! ;) I loved my Commodore 64! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wDtxYeJdzg

Still play Elite and now that it's open source the linux version is great! http://www.oolite.org/ (it's in the repositories)

Okay back to topic...

They are right go back to XP if you are not on-line that is what I was running. Had it set up so well that it was easy to use and some thought it was a console. When I found AM and loaded it.. it ran horrible..and the front-end I was using was no longer supported. I switch to linux..runs great now. Now my laptop can get on-line. Better? Not really..I just prefer it. Would I go back to XP if I had to? You bet!

As for the distro..I like http://lubuntu.net/ using the openbox desktop. It allows me to auto start and "hide" the desktop..and it uses less resources. That is just my two bits though....
People want life easy..then complain about it