Author Topic: Attract Mode missing from Retropie Setup on Pi 4?  (Read 1671 times)

tonberryhunter

• View Profile
Attract Mode missing from Retropie Setup on Pi 4?
« on: May 05, 2020, 01:14:27 PM »
I'm sure this has already been posted but why is Attract Mode missing from from the Retropie Setup menu?  If someone could point me in the direction of how to compile on the Pi 4 that would be much appreciated.

EDIT / Found this : https://github.com/mickelson/attract/wiki/Compiling-on-the-Raspberry-Pi-4-(Raspbian-Buster)

EDIT 2 / Now I'm getting an error message when trying to start Attract after compiling according to the above link

Code: [Select]
* failed to add service - already in use?
Thank you
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 04:16:27 PM by tonberryhunter »

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Attract Mode missing from Retropie Setup on Pi 4?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 02:13:14 PM »
Retrpie doesn't support attract. It's "experimental" according to them.

joyrider3774

• View Profile
Re: Attract Mode missing from Retropie Setup on Pi 4?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 08:45:33 AM »
because attractmode can't be run outside x anymore on the pi4. in order for it to work either attract or smfl-pi needs a drm / kms support added so you can run it outside x. Emulation stations has had such changes to support it or had it supported from the beginning, i can't remember. X is not installed with retropie it never was and emulationstation and emulators always ran outside it. The new rpi4 does not use the previous driver / hardware for video anymore. The sfml-pi is compiled against that old driver and seems to use functions from it but those don't work perhaps even exist anymore on when using the rpi4 (loaded). You get the error you displayed above when trying that

I also have a raspberry pi 4 and what i did is compile attractmode as per usual and made sure it could run under x. Then installed fluxbox window manager and with a few scripts i let attract autolaunch using a fullscreen terminal window without window decorations (you can remove those in fluxbox config files) whenever i type startx and i kill x when attract quits. Once that was working i added startx to the autostartscript of retropie instead of emulation station and copied over my configs from my rpi 3. then only a small hand of emulators had to be changed to use different ones and all is working again for me. Everything works for me using this way except for launch images, that is to say they display but if they display i can't access the runcommand setup. If i don't display them and see the usual grey text based info about runcommand it does work for me. Changing resolutions probably does not work either as i run attract under X now but have not tried that
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 09:00:33 AM by joyrider3774 »