Author Topic: Can you add AM to Retropie on a Pi 4?  (Read 2050 times)

MV19

• View Profile
Can you add AM to Retropie on a Pi 4?
« on: May 12, 2020, 09:34:08 AM »
Just installed RetroPie and Emulationstation on my Pi 4 and wanted to add AM to RP. I've read online that I should be able to add it through the experimental packages list on RP but AM isn't on there. Is it not yet support on RP for Pi 4? If not, is there another way to add it to RP manually?

Thanks.

joyrider3774

• View Profile
Re: Can you add AM to Retropie on a Pi 4?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 02:53:25 AM »
Attract can't run outside X anymore at the moment on PI4 so in the latest image you do not get the option to install attract on a pi4 (perhaps on a pi3 it does). It does however run inside X when compiling it with a few different flags. all you need to do then is create a workaround where you let attract mode run when you start X and kill X when you quit attract. Thats what i'm doing now and for most emulators it works fine on my setup. My setup is running hyperpie themes & configs

MV19

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 05:13:51 AM »
Do you know of a step-by-step guide to getting it installed and running?

joyrider3774

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 10:20:38 AM »
step by step no but a general overview of what i did can be seen here https://pastebin.com/mAmEERyG thats all i can do. Its basically how i run it now until SFML gets an kms / drm backend so we can run it outside x again

you also have to understand that not all emulators from retropie can run under X there is a list of which can and can't on retropie forums. and this will only give you basic attract install you would still need to config some emulators and add attract themes emulators etc (i copied them from the hyperpie 2 base image which i booted on a raspberry pi 3)

also if attaching  rpi4 to a 4k tv it's best to uncomment the xrandr resolution line so it sets 1920x1080 4k @30hz is very slow someone else noticed that using same instructions
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 11:53:29 AM by joyrider3774 »