Author Topic: How to copy Themes from one Attract Mode instance to another?  (Read 6988 times)

RussMyers

• View Profile
How to copy Themes from one Attract Mode instance to another?
« on: January 31, 2017, 02:49:27 AM »
OK, this is probably a really stupid question, but I have multiple instances of Retropie with Attract Mode set up on SD cards of different sizes.

One instance has a lot of custom Attract Mode themes I really like.

How do I copy the Themes from one Attract Mode instance to another?

What files and folders do I need to copy over so they just work in the other instance?

Thanks,

RussM

modjo

• View Profile
Re: How to copy Themes from one Attract Mode instance to another?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 03:20:54 AM »
You have got to FTP into your Retropie with your Computer for example with a tool namend filezilla.

See Retropie Documentation or Documentation about using FTP Servers on the internet.

From There you can go to "/home/pi/.attract/layouts" (i think this is the correct path) and save your themes to your local pc.

Then you can put in a different SD Card and FTP them back to the same folder.

Youve got to keep in mind that you also need copy the directories with your media (snap, layout, etc) if they arent already on the other SD Cards.

You usually find them in the Roms Folder for each Emulator. For example /home/pi/RetroPie/Roms/fba/flyer

Thats all hope this helps.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:23:45 AM by modjo »

RussMyers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 03:27:39 AM »
Yes, this does help thanks.

I'll try that and post my results.

RM

RussMyers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 04:43:27 AM »
Do you know what might cause some layouts to load and some to not work, even if it seems that all files were copied over?

For example, Robospin works fine if i select it as the display layout, but if I select nevato all I get is a text list of the games on a background.

RussM

modjo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 05:49:56 AM »
Hard to tell without seeing your setup.

but you could download nevato from their homepage and use a fresh copy of it.

Virgs1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 07:30:53 AM »
Hey guys. I think having similar problem and maybe you can help?  I used and image that had attract mode on it.  I set Retropie/emulation station up useing the new process where you put a folder on your USB drive (I run roms from there and the other main folders under Retropie there) called "Retropie-mount". It is on the Retropie wiki how to do it.  Everything worked fine as done this before, and when went to setup Attract Mode all worked well except only my rom names are showing.  There is no emulator videos, or wheel art, nothing. The main Attract Mode videos work and art is there, just not for any games.   Where do I find the folders to copy (and which ones) to put I suppose in emulator roms folders on the USB drive?  Or do I need to point Attract Mode in the emulators section for the flyer, marquee, snap and wheel to different paths?  Right now Attract Mode has each path set to: home/pi/Retropie/roms/"emulator".  I know this is wrong as the flyer, marquee, snap, and wheel folders are not in my roms folder on the USB drive.    I and afraid to move things around or repoint the paths as I do not know where the files reside currently on that image.  Can you help please?   Thanks a ton!

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 07:21:16 PM »
Do you know what might cause some layouts to load and some to not work, even if it seems that all files were copied over?

For example, Robospin works fine if i select it as the display layout, but if I select nevato all I get is a text list of the games on a background.

RussM

That depends on setup to setup. It can be many things. However your emulators have to be named correctly sometimes for the themes to work correctly. I have an emulator named psx. I won't work with some layouts. If I name it Sony Playstation it will work just fine. I have trouble with some themes as well.  (depends on the layout itself.)

I would suggest going to the themes sub forum and asking there you will get a better answer.
http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=370.0

Hey guys. I think having similar problem and maybe you can help?  I used and image that had attract mode on it.  I set Retropie/emulation station up useing the new process where you put a folder on your USB drive (I run roms from there and the other main folders under Retropie there) called "Retropie-mount". It is on the Retropie wiki how to do it.  Everything worked fine as done this before, and when went to setup Attract Mode all worked well except only my rom names are showing.  There is no emulator videos, or wheel art, nothing. The main Attract Mode videos work and art is there, just not for any games.   Where do I find the folders to copy (and which ones) to put I suppose in emulator roms folders on the USB drive?  Or do I need to point Attract Mode in the emulators section for the flyer, marquee, snap and wheel to different paths?  Right now Attract Mode has each path set to: home/pi/Retropie/roms/"emulator".  I know this is wrong as the flyer, marquee, snap, and wheel folders are not in my roms folder on the USB drive.    I and afraid to move things around or repoint the paths as I do not know where the files reside currently on that image.  Can you help please?   Thanks a ton!

I am not sure what you mean..but I think you are wondering where to put the artwork? You make the folders themselves. Look at your artwork paths that are set in the config files. make folders and put them in there. Or edit the paths to point to the path that you have set up.

I run my pi attract mode from a usb hard drive..everything works fine.

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=344.0
People want life easy..then complain about it

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 12:48:17 AM »

RussM

The most common reasons for a layout to display as you describe are:
1. the layout was made for a different screen resolution than you are using
2. the layout was made to stay in the .zip format or be unzipped (and you're not using the right one)
3. the the layout.nut file is being interpreted differently in your OS than the OS it was designed for