Author Topic: Going from Retropie to PC, what rom set to use?  (Read 2561 times)

adambrouillard

• View Profile
Going from Retropie to PC, what rom set to use?
« on: August 23, 2018, 09:39:01 AM »
I decided I wasn't getting the performance I wanted out of the Pi so going to use a PC for my arcade cabinet. I got about 4 different romsets for the PI as it seemed you needed to do that due to performance issues, but since I'm going to PC I was thinking it would be ideal to just use one if possible. I was planning on using retroarch. Mame 2010, 2014? Is advancemame still needed to emulate vector graphics or do the later regular version of mame do that properly?

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Going from Retropie to PC, what rom set to use?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 10:48:50 AM »
I am not sure about vector graphics. I only have raster monitor.

I recommend latest 0.200 mame, unless your pc is too old. Groovymame for CGA, and the haynor666 on byoac forum derrivitive has fixed for things like garbage on side of some Neo Geo games. It’s not a problem on my mvs because I adjust monitor, but not practical to adjust lots on pc/mame setup.

adambrouillard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:18:32 AM »
I'm ordering a 3 ghz quad core.  Would this have any trouble running the .200 core with shaders and bezels? 

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 01:51:12 PM »
I'm ordering a 3 ghz quad core.  Would this have any trouble running the .200 core with shaders and bezels?

I have an i3 2100 3.1ghz in my arcade machine. I can run gauntleg and nflblitz way over 100%. Two common 3d arcade roms used for testing. User benchmark only puts us 1 point difference. So I would say your all set.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core2-Quad-Q9650-vs-Intel-Core-i3-2100/m1706vsm41

adambrouillard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 02:53:47 PM »
Cool, thanks