Author Topic: Maybe running x86 apps on RPI2 is not so crazy after all  (Read 5208 times)

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Check this out. Eltechs’s faster ExaGear Desktop software version now supports ARMv6, in addition to ARMv7, letting users run x86 apps on all models of the Raspberry Pi.

Check this outhttp://linuxgizmos.com/emulator-now-runs-x86-apps-on-all-raspberry-pi-models/

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
Re: Maybe running x86 apps on RPI2 is not so crazy after all
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 04:12:58 AM »
It is more a proof-of-concept for me. I don't see the point to emulate x86. It is better to write software optimised for RPi (or compile it for RPi).

People are getting more and more lazy, and don't want to leave their zone of comfort.

Software optimisation (for hardware) is becoming a thing of the past. Maybe I'm wrong, because I'm not a programmer and I really don't know a thing about writing and optimising software. But I remember that on ZX Spectrum, when programmers wanted to push hardware even more - they just rewrite part of the software in assembler (low level language).

When I look at some games @ original XBOX - like BLACK for example - it's short of amazing what can be done with limited resources.
When I bought XBOX 360 - I've kept playing on old XBOX, not because of nostalgia, but just because the old games looked better. It took some time for XBOX 360 to ramp up to that level of quality.

I'm still using XBMC on XBOX as my media center. I've tried switching to RPi, but the sole interface performance (PM3) was sub par. But the devs wasn't pushing RPi enough, and I can understand why - It was easier to stay with main branch and just wait for RPi2. And don't get me wrong - there is nothing "bad" with this approach. Even more - it is more "resource friendly". It is just "not the way that it was before". *sigh*

What I would like to see is the hassle-free emulator of RPi - like VirtualBOX appliance.
I know it is possible with QEMU - but this is so much hassle, that it is easier to buy a bunch of RPis just for development (you see - the same pattern).

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 07:30:19 AM »
Verion-

The thing is RISC and CISC are similar architectures. In fact up until arm8 it was native 32. The biggest difference between the two is RISC has a reduced instruction set requiring less transistors which saves on silicon, etc...this is the reason why ARM is more power efficient. Anyway, I don't see a problem with a fit all approach as long as performance doesn't take a hit. One of the biggest problems with Linux has always been the lack of good quality apps like games. I know steam is trying to change that but there it is. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 06:58:43 AM by omegaman »

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 08:33:03 AM »
Great podcast by John Siracusa about RISC vs CISC.

http://cdn.5by5.tv/audio/broadcasts/hypercritical/2012/hypercritical-094.mp3

Man, I love his podcasts. If you haven't listened - l recommend it.

omegaman

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 07:03:01 AM »
I made a typo, RISC has the reduced instruction set not CISC. Anyway, corrected I that. Need to start proof reading my post ;)

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 08:08:51 AM »
Just to be sure... this is NOT because of that typo I've pointed you to that podcast :)
It is just a great podcast if you are interested in CPU architecture.