Author Topic: TurboGrafx-16 mini layout update v2.1!!!  (Read 20081 times)

tonberryhunter

• View Profile
Re: TurboGrafx-16 mini layout update v1.0!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 06:50:18 PM »
Some of these graphic assets seem to be much higher resolution than needed. "grafxmenu2.png" for example is 8000 x 842 this basically makes the theme unusable on the raspberry pi.  Is there any reason you chose to make these assets so high res?  Perhaps scale them down to 1080p since this is still the most common res.  I'm trying to think who has a screen res that is 8000 pixels wide?  The theme would run more efficiently with smaller sized assets.  Think of how images are prepared for web. 

Edit:  Just loaded one of your graphics and realized your running at 300 dpi.  Note this is a print resolution not a screen res.  Screen res is 72 dpi.  Also noticed you used some sort of crazy pixel scaling filter on the asset?   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 06:53:30 PM by tonberryhunter »

sickle

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 09:15:05 PM »
Some of these graphic assets seem to be much higher resolution than needed. "grafxmenu2.png" for example is 8000 x 842 this basically makes the theme unusable on the raspberry pi.  Is there any reason you chose to make these assets so high res?  Perhaps scale them down to 1080p since this is still the most common res.  I'm trying to think who has a screen res that is 8000 pixels wide?  The theme would run more efficiently with smaller sized assets.  Think of how images are prepared for web. 

Edit:  Just loaded one of your graphics and realized your running at 300 dpi.  Note this is a print resolution not a screen res.  Screen res is 72 dpi.  Also noticed you used some sort of crazy pixel scaling filter on the asset?   

haha, yes. I've already fixed all of that for the next release. I made everything as a vector, and must have mistyped when exporting :P

i think even the thumbnail file named "PC_Engine.png" was 3000 wide originally (in the release you have).

i figured this out because I wanted to run it on a rbpi, but very few of the images were showing up, and it was lagging like hell
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:20:33 PM by sickle »

jingletit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 07:40:13 AM »
Thanks for update  ;)
Can you make other mini consoles if not asking to much
yes, I do want to try making some other mini consoles, but I felt that the turbografx 16 mini had the best looking menu, so I started with that. I probably won't make an nes/snes/Famicom, because there's already plenty of themes for those.
I know it's not popular but a playstation classic theme would be cool

sickle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 02:50:37 PM »
Thanks for update  ;)
yes, I do want to try making some other mini consoles, but I felt that the turbografx 16 mini had the best looking menu, so I started with that. I probably won't make an nes/snes/Famicom, because there's already plenty of themes for those.

I'm thinking about it, I personally find the psClassic menu pretty unattractive though I guess it would be good practice!

jingletit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2020, 11:23:49 AM »

Thanks for update  ;)

I'm thinking about it, I personally find the psClassic menu pretty unattractive though I guess it would be good practice!
What would be really cool is remaking the ps classic but improving what Sony did wrong like having things like game case overlays, flipping art for viewing the back of game cases, and maybe an animation after selecting games like this theme has

sickle

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2020, 07:32:10 PM »

Thanks for update  ;)

What would be really cool is remaking the ps classic but improving what Sony did wrong like having things like game case overlays, flipping art for viewing the back of game cases, and maybe an animation after selecting games like this theme has

I think I might do that... once this theme is to a stable release :)

jingletit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2020, 08:19:53 PM »

Thanks for update  ;)

I think I might do that... once this theme is to a stable release :)
Can't wait to see what you come up with. the PlayStation One is hands down the best console

sickle

• View Profile
Re: TurboGrafx-16 mini layout update v2.1!!!
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2020, 12:19:20 AM »
so, now that this is a pc-engine, coregrafx, and turbografx layout, should i keep the name "TurboGrafx-16 mini", or should i change it to something like: "NEC mini" or "CoreTurboEngineGrafx mini"?

open to ideas!

taelonian

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2020, 05:03:34 AM »
Something like CoreTurboEngineGrafx i think is ok  :)

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2020, 05:20:29 AM »
The console has been the only mini to spark my interest. I would have bought it immediately if it had composite video. Layout looks good. I haven't tried it yet, but will soon. I suggest naming pce to follow mame driver? PCE-mini?

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/pce.cpp

jingletit

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2020, 04:44:22 PM »
Amazing to see where this theme as come. Thank you for this and can't wait to see what you have next :D

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2020, 05:47:36 PM »
why no official release?  it has been out on arcade punks for a minute....

kind of a hit and run.....but cool theme thanks bra.
help a friend....

sickle

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2020, 04:31:34 PM »
why no official release?  it has been out on arcade punks for a minute....

kind of a hit and run.....but cool theme thanks bra.

Haha, sorry. I haven't had time to work on it. But I definitely plan on working on it again soon!

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2020, 06:17:41 PM »
Right on bro tanks for the update.
help a friend....

Strider_Hiryu

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2021, 01:40:21 PM »
Out of all the Mini/Classic themes (Genesis, PSX, NES, Famicom, SNES, and TG-16), this one seems like it is the most functional. The cursor actually makes a noise as you move from left to right (or vice versa). The music in the background also plays simultaneously, and you also hear a "blip" after one of the games is chosen. You can also change the theme depending on your preference. If sickle can redo those five themes, he could probably change his code slightly to include just as many (or more) .mp3s to play in the background. Please let me know if you ever decide to work on one or more of these, as I have had some difficulty trying to get the sounds to work correctly. Thank you.  :)