Author Topic: Attract Mode Handhelds Desktop Theme  (Read 11946 times)

modjo

• View Profile
Attract Mode Handhelds Desktop Theme
« on: January 30, 2017, 12:27:37 PM »
Hey there,

based on Mahutis great Idea to show off Handhelds in their natural environment, I just startet out to make some layouts on my own since i need them for my 16:9 setup.

(Give all credits to Mahuti for his designs, I really like them and the idea behind. I hope it's okay to post mine here.)

The goal is to achieve a nice realistic look of an retogaming enthusiast's desktop ;) and since i like oldroom that much, it should fit this design, too.

Here is a preview of how its supposed to look:

I hope to finish some working layouts in the next few days. (coding is new to me, lets see how far i can do it ;) )

In the meantime tell me what you think about it.

Regards

P.S.  first post ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:30:00 PM by modjo »

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Attract Mode Handhelds Desktop Theme
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 01:12:45 PM »
Looks good. Change that laptop to a G3 Lombard or pismo. I had one back in the same time frame. Lots of help with code here if you ask! :)

modjo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 02:00:39 PM »
Thank you! :)

Maybe ill ask if i need further informations. I used the documentation and the layout.nut from the oldroom theme to get a starting point and provide a proof of concept of the skin (i think ill ask if its okay to use the code from oldroom since i dont need to modify this too much)

Here we go: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ZsRum7V0XFYzVXeTRPODdSV1k/view?usp=sharing

tomorrow I'll create some png overlays to get rid of those sharp edges.

But apart from that i think it looks decent. :)

razin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 11:19:17 PM »
This looks great! I have changed my GG section to this one.

I do have one question through; is your wheel conveyor using an embedded transparency (like permanently photoshopped in) ?

I noticed in the layout.nut that the  "conveyor_bg.bg_alpha = 5;" won't go full transparent if I change it zero. If I change it to a higher value, like 255 it goes full black as expected, but I can't get it to go completely clear or even a lighter tint than the set value of 5. It's almost like the actual conveyor was changed in photoshop (or whatever) to an actual layer.

For my themes I prefer to do away with the tinted conveyor altogether, hoping this one can be removed as well.

Beyond that I love this theme and hope to see more handhelds. I still need some for GB, GBC, NGPC and Lynx.

modjo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 02:41:23 AM »
Hey there!

Glad you like it! I made few changes in Design yesterday and prepared a layout for Gameboy too!

Layouts now have an overlay for the video, so that the rotated vid wont have any sharp edges an fit smoothly to the handheld. Apart from that i decided to not rotate the flyer (the game cover) since it wont be that easy to overlay the edges there.

I will upload both themes after work so you can try them out. :)
I will also do themes for the other handhelds so that there is a complete seamless collection. Will post them here then.

In accordance to conveyor_bb / bg_alpha i just played a little with the settings to achieve a little less opacity. the image itself doesnt contain any black background. i was allowed to take the layout file from the oldroom theme (thanks again :) ) and will get a constant setting for the theme when its ready to release. apart from that i noticed a little strange behaviour of opacity by myself. but the picture itself doesnt contain black. must be script related. i will try out a little when i get back from work. :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:47:28 AM by modjo »

modjo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 05:15:45 AM »
v0.2:
- minor changes in background
- added overlay to smooth edges on snap
- added gameboy theme

Preview GameBoy: Preview GameGear:

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_ZsRum7V0XFLWRCTjZIZ1JMTUE

razin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 01:42:24 PM »
Again, awesome work. I just added the updated GG to my build as well as the GB theme. The addition of game cartridges is a nice touch.

Can't wait to see what other handhelds are next!

Cheers!

modjo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 03:31:53 AM »
Added another Theme: Game Boy Advance

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ZsRum7V0XFbURWaFp4VTVwYzA/view?usp=sharing

Tell me what you think. Cheers

Nykos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 07:22:03 AM »
Is there a way to show up cartridges?

Kondorito

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 11:34:56 AM »
These look great! I love them :D
Any chance for a GBC one? ;)

modjo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 01:16:43 PM »
Is there a way to show up cartridges?

No. Would be pretty hard to mask and get a nice looking even result. maybe sometime after finishing the whole setup, don't know. ;)

These look great! I love them :D
Any chance for a GBC one? ;)

thanks :) yes, i'll do some more handhelds the next weeks. :) didnt have much time last week. as requested, i think i'll do gbc next ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:19:08 PM by modjo »

ganondork

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 05:19:26 AM »
Brilliant. I guess they work great with the OlRoom-Themes for stationary consoles. Would love to see some more like GBC, NGP, NGPC!

PS - I'm using Attract Mode in 720p - Do you think it would be possible to convert your Layouts for 720p? The big win is, that I run all my emulators in 720p, because they run in full speed with the curved-pi-crt-shader then. If I leave Attract Mode in 720p as well, then there is no switching of resolution and everything is a lot smoother and faster.

Would be so great!

PPS - Found out myself, just had to resize the overlays as well :) Attaching it, in case anyone wants to use it in 720, too. Still have my fingers crossed for GBC, NGP and NGPC!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:47:17 PM by ganondork »

jingletit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 07:25:52 AM »
Brilliant. I guess they work great with the OlRoom-Themes for stationary consoles. Would love to see some more like GBC, NGP, NGPC!

PS - I'm using Attract Mode in 720p - Do you think it would be possible to convert your Layouts for 720p? The big win is, that I run all my emulators in 720p, because they run in full speed with the curved-pi-crt-shader then. If I leave Attract Mode in 720p as well, then there is no switching of resolution and everything is a lot smoother and faster.

Would be so great!

PPS - Found out myself, just had to resize the overlays as well :) Attaching it, in case anyone wants to use it in 720, too. Still have my fingers crossed for GBC, NGP and NGPC!

Here you go :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 07:37:01 AM »
These look great.

mahuti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Github Repositories
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 07:47:25 AM »
No. Would be pretty hard to mask and get a nice looking even result. maybe sometime after finishing the whole setup, don't know.

By the way, if you'd like any help with programming or design on these let me know and I can be of help.