Author Topic: Epsilon & Phobos [Release]  (Read 5673 times)

dukpoki

• View Profile
Epsilon & Phobos [Release]
« on: May 14, 2019, 08:50:19 PM »
I'm working on 2 new themes.  They are very similar to each other but are just stylistically different in theme.  One is a space theme and the other is more of a better version of my Frostbite theme from way back.  Both are stemmed from rand0m's Chicuelo theme utilizing his cool shuffle list design.  I actually started off with Epsilon, then started working on Phobos later down the road, so the latter is more polished I admit.

Epsilon

Phobos

I'm not a fan of display menus so my idea was to be able to switch between systems with the left and right keys, and when you do, it'll have a nice transition visually and audibly.  What do you guys think?  And which do you guys like better?

Update:
Epsilon is ready for download!  Fixed Link Here.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:17:15 AM by dukpoki »

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
Re: Epsilon & Phobos WIP
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 12:19:09 AM »
If I had to choose - I like the Epsilon more - but it just because the menu is better (bigger).

As for the system change - it should be more substantial. I've watched it a few times to catch the system change.
It would be great if there could be some sliding effect - like the next system "pushes" out the current.

bundangdon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 01:04:10 AM »
Agree with verion, the "Epsilon" one is definitely the best and the overall feel of both themes are quite nice. Although the sound effects get a little annoying after a while  ;D Overall though, great work!

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 06:12:05 AM »
it looks like a random, color shadow going on ....i like that...
help a friend....

bundangdon

• View Profile
Re: Epsilon & Phobos [Release]
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 01:02:07 AM »
Great work and thanks a lot for releasing this theme. However, mine doesn't seem to look quite right. There are several games in the list, but for some reason each title occupies all of the available columns on the screen, and the 3d boxes have a white box around them, as shown below

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 06:16:58 AM »
you most likley do not have the updated "shuffle" module!
that is what will happens ,,,   get it here.  https://github.com/keilmillerjr/shuffle-module
help a friend....

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 06:27:43 AM »
thanks for the release,  cool theme i can dig it....

one issue,  on latest AM,  when theme opens after abought 10-30 sec moving through list,
theme crashes AM...just shuts it down.

upon loading theme in consul says this, not shur if related....
Code: [Select]
*FUNCTION [update_game_info()] C:\auraAM\layouts/Epsilon/layout.nut line [458]

LOCALS
[game_name] INSTANCE
[region0] INSTANCE
[flw] 1920
[ttime] 0
[var] 2
[ttype] 0
[this] TABLE
Script Error in transition function: update_game_info - the index 'icon_bottom' does not exist

AN ERROR HAS OCCURED [the index 'icon_bottom' does not exist]
help a friend....

dukpoki

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 08:21:19 AM »
@Jedione

Yeah there was some lingering old defunct code in there.  Thanks for pointing it out.  I went back and deleted the lines.  Hopefully that fixes everything.  Use this updated layout.nut attached here.  I've also updated the main link in post #1 so all new downloads will have the correct version.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:30:37 AM by dukpoki »

dukpoki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 08:29:39 AM »
There are several games in the list, but for some reason each title occupies all of the available columns on the screen, and the 3d boxes have a white box around them, as shown below

Do you have the shuffle module in your "/module" folder?   I forgot to mention you need it.  If you do and it still doesn't work then can you tell me if rand0m's Chicuelo theme works for you since my code is basically his code slightly modified.

As for the white box, it's supposed to be a border for 2D boxart.  But since you are using 3D boxart with transparencies, you'd have to disable the white box.  Here I've done it for you.  Use this updated layout.nut specifically attached on this post.  Let me know how it works out.  Also, the sound effects can be disabled/enabled if you like.  The easiest way is to open the layout.nut and find and delete the section titled "Sound FX".  Let me know if you need any further help.  Thanks.

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 06:05:33 PM »
just got in , tryed new layout, no error now...  but still crashing realy weird..  somtimes 5-sec one time abought 30 after scroling..

obliviously  it's working for you...i did have one theme un-releast   that worked great on my main rig AMD.. that used the shuffle

that was doing the same thing as the theme when i would put it on my, intel i7   ,,,Hmm but that would be vice-vesa...

shit well just omited, the shuffle from the layout.....   won't crash at all...works perfect   ...im at a loss now  ?

ill see if keil, the creator of shuffle has seen this at all...    thanks and good theme..peace
help a friend....

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 06:26:01 PM »
fixed,,,,   

here is what i did..

changed: all the gif to a png,  and now won 't crash at all... :D 
ie:  icon.gif to new. png, 

just need to make a square box and animate it with pulse ,, instead...

solved.. for me ...i think its an AM bug.. Honestly      sorry for blowing your thread up..
help a friend....

dukpoki

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 06:29:20 PM »
fixed,,,,   

here is what i did..

changed: all the gif to a png,  and now won 't crash at all... :D 
ie:  icon.gif to new. png, 

just need to make a square box and animate it with pulse ,, instead...

solved.. for me ...i think its an AM bug.. Honestly      sorry for blowing your thread up..

No worries.  Hey what version of AM are you using?  You should try the newest nightly--maybe that'll help.  Also you don't need to make a new square box.  You should change icon.gif to icon.png as I think there is a png non-animated version in that folder already.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 06:32:25 PM by dukpoki »

jedione

• punktoe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 06:51:02 PM »
WORD....
help a friend....

bundangdon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 11:34:59 PM »
There are several games in the list, but for some reason each title occupies all of the available columns on the screen, and the 3d boxes have a white box around them, as shown below

Do you have the shuffle module in your "/module" folder?   I forgot to mention you need it.  If you do and it still doesn't work then can you tell me if rand0m's Chicuelo theme works for you since my code is basically his code slightly modified.

As for the white box, it's supposed to be a border for 2D boxart.  But since you are using 3D boxart with transparencies, you'd have to disable the white box.  Here I've done it for you.  Use this updated layout.nut specifically attached on this post.  Let me know how it works out.  Also, the sound effects can be disabled/enabled if you like.  The easiest way is to open the layout.nut and find and delete the section titled "Sound FX".  Let me know if you need any further help.  Thanks.

Thank you very much for the new .nut file, which fixed the 3d box problem. Also, I found out the cause of the other issue. For some odd reason there was an individual "shuffle.nut" file in the modules folder, maybe leftover from older versions of attractmode, and after I deleted it the problem was solved! :)