Author Topic: Layout User Options  (Read 6343 times)

zeroid

• View Profile
Layout User Options
« on: May 30, 2015, 10:34:04 AM »
I saw the sample layouts from AM.
but i can't seem to find the "Layout User Options" that was mentioned in the code from AM when i loaded the emulator and the layout.
Anyone know where can i find it?
Thanks in advance.

checkist

• View Profile
Re: Layout User Options
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 11:54:22 AM »
It's located in Configuration->Display->(Rom list, which uses the layout you want to modify)->Layout Option

zeroid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 12:13:07 PM »
Thank you very much.
It helps.

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 10:33:54 PM »
It is a pretty unintuitive how the layout user options  are buried in there... I wonder if it would be better to rearrange things so that Layouts are their own option in the main config menu... 

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 05:19:21 AM »
I think it is intuitive - at least it was for me.

Maybe DISPLAYS is not the best name - it took me couple of minutes to figure out that DISPLAY is more of something that I would call LAYOUT

So maybe could be renamed to LAYOUTS
And when you enter particular layout (now called display) the menu could be like this: 

old name ---> NEW NAME

name ---> LAYOUT NAME
layout  ---> LAYOUT THEME
rom list  ---> EMULATOR (as it is something that you can define in EMULATORS section)
layout options

====

now the LAYOUT OPTIONS is in perfect place and with perfect name

« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 05:21:09 AM by verion »

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 05:28:52 PM »
I agree Display is pretty confusing word to use. But layout won't work, unless you change layout to 'Themes' :) I think it was switched to Display a few versions back, maybe when filters were added?

A display to me is actually more like a 'List' but more powerful with customized settings. With Display you can specify a different layout for each one, which collection/list it will use and you can also setup multiple filters for the list.

I haven't played with it enough yet, I wonder if you can have multiple collections in the same display?

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »
I agree Display is pretty confusing word to use. But layout won't work, unless you change layout to 'Themes' :) I think it was switched to Display a few versions back, maybe when filters were added?

A display to me is actually more like a 'List' but more powerful with customized settings. With Display you can specify a different layout for each one, which collection/list it will use and you can also setup multiple filters for the list.

I haven't played with it enough yet, I wonder if you can have multiple collections in the same display?

Yes the "Display" list got invented a few versions back because I thought "List" was to easy to get confused with Romlists.  I'm certainly game for rethinking how things are named so that it makes sense to people, and would certainly appreciate any ideas.  Maybe that is the sort of switch that could be done when/if Attract-Mode ever moves to a version 2.0.

Your suggestion of changing "Layout"->"Theme" and "Display"->"Layout" makes sense to me.

Luke_Nukem

• View Profile
    • Blogging about Rust lang
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 03:18:55 AM »
It is a pretty unintuitive how the layout user options  are buried in there... I wonder if it would be better to rearrange things so that Layouts are their own option in the main config menu...

I'd appreciate having it exposed on the main menu. Something like "Layout Options" or "Theme options". Number one reason for it is to make it fa quicker and easier to adjust the settings, especially when testing.

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 11:20:03 AM »
Your suggestion of changing "Layout"->"Theme" and "Display"->"Layout" makes sense to me.

I would actually prefer not to use 'Layout' for Displays - since that implies that you are affecting how things are "layed out" on the screen and displays is more than that. My interpretation of Display is - 'What games will I see' (based on romlist, filters), then 'How will it look'.

I'd recommend against swapping definitions of the same word. Layout -> Theme might not be a big deal because theme makes sense for the overall look - but Display -> Layout - making 'layout' mean something different after it already meant something else would be very confusing. You call the layouts 'layout.nut' so if you change to theme and layout means something different.. you'd have to change 'layout.nut' to 'theme.nut' then either have broken layouts, or backwards compatibility where layout.nut still works and is still used by some themes - making it even MORE confusing :) If you change Displays - I'd change it to a different word.. not sure what though!

I  like Luke's suggestion - I'm constantly switching around displays and changing the layouts for testing and whatnot.. If I can have a default Theme used for all Displays, that would be awesome. Perhaps have Theme / Theme Options be in the main menu (the default Theme), then in a 'Display' (whatever it might be called) you could specify an overriding 'Theme' preferably letting you know when the default theme is overridden. Not sure how to make that idea more user-friendly.

Another thing is alternate views of the same layout. It'd be nice if this was an 'Alternate' option in the themes menu, rather than just using a button/list to switch to them.