Author Topic: pi is hot 83C  (Read 13952 times)

akafox

• View Profile
pi is hot 83C
« on: January 08, 2017, 09:55:33 AM »
Ok so I noticed when running attractmode it makes my pi HOT. Now I know running video and sound wheels all that are going to be work on the cpu...I get that no need to tell me...

I just noticed that it runs at 83C when attract mode is idle. Now this is a stock (non overclocked) .. with a heatsink..no fan rasp pi3

I noticed when I start a game (any so far) it will drop to 60c (normal) so..the safe operating temp is?? what for the pi- 80C right?

anybody else notice this with their pis?

I just don't want to re-bake my pi..I hate burnt crusts... ;)
People want life easy..then complain about it

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: pi is hot 83C
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 11:21:45 PM »
That seems pretty hot. My Pi 3 with everything overclocked and no heat sinks runs under 60C. Do you see warnings in the upper right corner of the screen for temp?

A few things:
1. most heats sinks for the Pi are a joke and don't use thermal paste, they just use stickers. In this situation you would be better off without them.
2. does your case have any vent holes?
3. what are you using for your OS base: raspbain, retropie, diet-pi? Maybe you have more running in the background then you need.
4. what layout/theme are you using? Some might be more intensive then others.
5. are you using hardware video decoding? If not, the CPU will be over worked.

xbs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 06:05:37 AM »
I have the official case (the red and white one) and the pi get really hot running retropie.
Removing the top lid of the case fixes the overheating and the pi drops to normal temps.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 06:22:52 PM »
Well I removed the top case..helped to lower the temp...still 80C

I put a floor fan across it to keep it cool...still ran 72C

Letting it run I noticed that I think the video may be playing twice..maybe 3 times...at the same time. I only notice this by the sound..no visual indicator.

Also my videos tend to freeze stutter or "grey out" a lot...

I get some more information to you when I can

...I do have a drop of threm paste....think that will help the heat sink be more efficient..or is that a waste of time?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 08:00:41 PM »
If your videos are stuttering then you either aren't using hardware decoding (to offload this from the CPU) or you are using high resolution videos. To apply the thermal paste you will need to remove the heat sink. Consider running some test to see what your temp is without the heat sink before putting it back on with the thermal paste.

I think the hardware decoding will help your temp issue. It will remove a lot of strain from your CPU. I have a few Pis and none of them run as hot as yours. You might have gotten a bum Pi but it's more likely that something in your configuration is boosting your temp.

Omamez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 11:14:35 PM »
yes some artic 5 paste does help or even better use extractor fan hole saw hole top case and plenty smaller holes under the case 20 holes and use one of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_4SW7b7P30 to extract the hot air.

don't place the pi on top set top boxes or amplifiers

fans rated at 12v but will run at 5v make sure it extracting air not blowing down onto soc

heat sinks work but like progets said 99% of them are gimmicks for rpi from ebay or amazon look at rs components for decent one and the thermal is poor so maybe combination might further help

I don't think you will do damage to the pi as these soc's have throttle architecture and will lower cpu down to 1 core min but you will experience game play issues due to this
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:20:11 PM by Omamez »

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 08:46:04 AM »
I actually have a case for my rasp pi B+ and I know things are compatible across boards (except for the power supply).

It has a fan on it 5v. I just didn't use it because the pi B+ was push/push so the card "popped" out..the rasp pi 3 being push / pull it's a little hard to get a hold of the sd card using that case.

So that being said I have a fan. I'll report back when I have time on the results and try as you suggested as well.

(I notice that the fan on the pi 3 is much more quiet...on the other pi is was (annoyingly) loud..odd...)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:29:02 AM by akafox »

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 11:29:13 AM »
To answer the needed questions (heh  :-[ ) I am running floobs image from the fourm here that's my "os"
as for my video snaps..I'm not sure if they are HD or SD or even the codec format of any of them. Any good ways to figure that out? (most of them are from emumovies)

mrjoin3r

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 12:55:46 PM »
Hi
I am having a similar problem with my Pi3, In attractmode I have video snaps playing and I notice that the yellow square appears in the top right hand corner of the screen, but as soon as I move across to the screen for setting up attractmode the square disappears. I would have thought that just playing a simple video snap wouldn't over heat the Pi in such a way. I've just ordered a fan to fit in my Pi case to see if that brings the temps down.

Omamez

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 07:25:52 PM »
Configure-->General-->Video Decoder = mmal

If you can choose mmal, hardware encoding (ffmpeg) is installed. if not then this will give you issues with snaps

also if you are getting coloured squares maybe under powered by psu many cheap chinese ones are under powered

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 08:45:20 PM »
If your running Raspbian Jessie, high temp is indicated with a thermometer and undervoltage is indicated with a muticolored square. If you're overclocking your Pi you can try to reduce those settings which maybe causing the undervoltage issue. If you're not overclocking then your power supply is very likely the problem.

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 10:25:10 PM »
no not overclocking..too chicken too lol (I do overclock my pi1 though.)

and didn't know to change

Configure-->General-->Video Decoder = mmal

before I tried the first time..that might have been the whole problem..
but I compiled from scratch..and I run about 57.2 steady..that's with a fan so it might be 60..62 without it (haven't tried without it).

If your running Raspbian Jessie, high temp is indicated with a thermometer and undervoltage is indicated with a muticolored square. If you're overclocking your Pi you can try to reduce those settings which maybe causing the undervoltage issue. If you're not overclocking then your power supply is very likely the problem.

I never saw any of those  however I have seen a lighting bolt flash for a few seconds once with my powered usb hub plugged in...what's that mean?

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 01:38:36 AM »
mulitcolored square in top right corner of your screen was indicator of undervoltage (I'm not sure about overheating).

But it has changed recently, now it's a BOLT icon and THERMOMETER icon - https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=82373
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:22:54 AM by verion »