Author Topic: Killer Instinct not displaying title correctly on favourites display on AM  (Read 5226 times)

Rupert H

• View Profile
Hello all,

I’m having trouble with Killer Instinct and Killer Instinct 2 displaying in Attract Mode. I have a full MAME 1.93 set and have divided them into filters by genre and have created a favourite filter, and every other title is displaying perfectly. In both the default unfiltered MAME and the fighting game genre list both KI games display as their full titles, along with the manufacturer, year of release and genre. In the favourite folder filter however they’re displaying as the raw ROM titles “kinst” and “kinst2”, and they’re listed at the end of the alphabetical list after Z. Both games load perfectly.

Using the first game as an example the paths are c:/mame/roms, with the “kinst.zip” and another folder named “kinst” containing “kinst.chd”.

I have checked my 1.93 catver.ini wich lists both games correctly with full details (as expected as they’re displaying correctly through the unfiltered MAME and genre displays) and I’ve checked the mame.tags file in AM which shows both “kinst” and “kinst2”. I’ve also double checked the favourites filter rules and can’t see anything strange there.

To problem solve I deleted the “kinst.zip” which displayed the titles correctly in the favourites filter, but then the games don’t boot as they contain necessary files.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong here? I’d love to solve this annoyance.

For info I’m using GM1.93 and AM 2.3.0 in the basic layout on Windows 7 64.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 12:11:05 AM by Rupert H »

dukpoki

• View Profile
I'm not sure this will help, but make sure you only list the rom folder in you AM emulator file.   Then go to mame.ini in your mame directory and list the CHD folder in there (under "rompath") so Mame is able to run the CHD when AM boots the rom (zip) file.

Rupert H

• View Profile
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to add the specific "kinst" chd directory in the mame.ini as you suggested but that didn't change anything.

I did a bit more digging though. It seems that it is reading catver.ini (which contains only the raw rom title and the genre), but it's failing to read the Attract Mode romlist/mame.txt file (which contains the full title, manufacturer, release year and number of players.

The strangest thing is that all of my other roms and chds are displaying perfectly in the favourite folder. This just doesn't make any sense. 

dukpoki

• View Profile
What theme are you using?  If I have time i'll give it a whirl and try to duplicate your problem.  In your first post you said GM 1.93.  I have no idea what GM stands for.

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What theme are you using?  If I have time i'll give it a whirl and try to duplicate your problem.  In your first post you said GM 1.93.  I have no idea what GM stands for.

Probably GroovyMAME 0.193. GroovyMAME is a branch targeting useage with CRT’s.

Rupert H

• View Profile
Yes, sorry. I’m talking about Groovy MAME. I’m running the basic theme. That’s the default, right?

Thanks for your help. If you can replicate the issue then at least I know it’s not just my set-up.

dukpoki

• View Profile
Well i'm using regular Mame and KI 1 and 2 both show properly.  Here's a screen: https://imgur.com/gjoAYQ5

Double check your catver.ini and mame.txt looks like the one I have. You can dl catver at Mame Progetto (http://www.progettosnaps.net/catver/) if you need.

For your Mame.cfg, make sure the catver and mame.xml's are listed under "import extras".  (i'm assuming you already have an xml generated.)  Under "rompath" make sure you list the rompath and not the CHD path.  In other words it should only point to the folder holding kinst.zip, kinst2.zip.  Only the chd's that do not have a zip that goes along with it should be included here.  For example, I have xiistag pointed to because for that particular game, there is no xiistag.zip rom files.

For your Mame.ini (or whatever config file GM uses), make sure you list all the rompaths meaning both the CHD path and rom zip paths.  You need to do this because you did not associate it in AM's config file.  So if AM boots kinst.zip, then Mame will say the CHD is missing.  You put it here so Mame knows to boot it along with the zip.

Hope that helps.

Rupert H

• View Profile
Thanks for checking, but I see from your screen grab that you’re looking at the main MAME display. Both games display perfectly for me in the MAME display and the genre display — it’s only the favourites list where it doesn’t have the proper titles. Did you try adding it to favourites and creating a favourites display?

Also, I didn’t actually have a MAME.xml file until reading your post. I’ve since generated one via the command prompt, and I’ve included the path to it in AM, then generated romlist again. No change unfortunately. What is the xml used for exactly?

Thanks for the advice with chd paths. So you’re saying that I should have specific chd folder within the roms folder, just to hold the chd files that have corresponding zip files? So it should look like this:

C:/mame/roms/chd/kinst/kinst.chd

Thanks again.

dukpoki

• View Profile
Whoops sorry about that.  I have no idea how I missed that part regarding the favourites.   Anyways I tested it out again in favourites and it's still displaying correctly for me.  Here's a screen: https://i.imgur.com/FBzYMQy.jpg

Regarding the XML i believe it's for generating the mame.txt, but I could be wrong.

I'm 100% sure the data for displaying the title is inside that mame.txt.  But if you a) looked inside the txt file and it looks correct and b) it displays fine in unfiltered, then it surely isn't the mame.txt.  But just in case I would delete your mame.txt and since you have the XML now, you can point to it in your cfg, then go to the mame emulator configuration screen and re-generate the romlist.

And if that doesn't work then one must assume the problem is associated to filtering.  But I would have no idea how to diagnose that.

So you’re saying that I should have specific chd folder within the roms folder, just to hold the chd files that have corresponding zip files? So it should look like this:

C:/mame/roms/chd/kinst/kinst.chd

Thanks again.

No.  Paths can be setup however you want it.

It doesn't matter if you do

My Roms/Mame Roms/kinst.zip
                           ..../kinst/kinst.chd

or

My Roms/Mame ROMS/kinst.zip
My Roms/Mame CHD/kinst/kinst.chd

If you can boot the game then no need to mess around with it.  I was only trying to say don't associate both the zip and chd files in your cfg.  Otherwise, when you generate, you will have 2 instances of the same game.

Rupert H

• View Profile
I finally got around to tinkering with this again, and implemented the changes to the chd paths. I also came across a few rogue MAME files in another folder which I deleted. I’m not sure which is he of those fixed the problem, but it’s working flawlessly now.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

dukpoki

• View Profile
Re: Killer Instinct not displaying title correctly on favourites display on AM
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 12:43:18 PM »
No problem.  I'm glad it worked out!  :)