Author Topic: Shadow  (Read 2684 times)

FrizzleFried

• View Profile
    • Idaho Garagecade
Shadow
« on: April 03, 2018, 03:03:35 PM »
...how would I go about adding a shadow to wheel art?   Doable with some simplicity or is this something that's complicated?

Another option would be an outline... basically I am trying to give the wheel art a little more "pop" versus the art that is behind it...

Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (updated 06-27-19)

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 03:24:16 PM »
...how would I go about adding a shadow to wheel art?   Doable with some simplicity or is this something that's complicated?

Another option would be an outline... basically I am trying to give the wheel art a little more "pop" versus the art that is behind it...

Perhaps you could clone the image, adjust size/positioning, and rgb to make outline or hard shadow. A soft shadow, I haven’t a clue.

zpaolo11x

• View Profile
    • My deviantart page
Re: Shadow
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 02:57:20 AM »
You can somewhat "fake" a soft shadow by creating multiple clones of a hard shadow and slightly enlarge and reposition each clone, with the right transparency.

Another way, a bit more complicated, is to generate (for example through a script in XNView) e new set of artwork that is a blurred, greyscale, alpha channel version of your wheel art, then use it to place a shadow. I'm doing something like this in my Arcadeflow theme (v1.3 has hard shadow, 1.4 still in development with soft shadows from custom artworks), I can provide a simple xnview script if you like