Author Topic: RPI 1&2 Attractmode image  (Read 62202 times)

akafox

• View Profile
Re: RPI 1&2 Attractmode image
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 07:22:40 AM »
Ok what am I missing here? I edited the config so I can output to my TV (not hdmi) got everything set up. I get the "illeagal instruction" error as well when running any emulator.

I read the thread about buying a raspi pi 2 but that is not an option for me to solve the problem. (i'd rather buy a raspi pi zero if I go that route..when they are available again.)

I have a raspi B+
Do I need to compile sfml to run adv/mame4all? That doesn't sound right but *srhugs* what do I know......
People want life easy..then complain about it

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 12:16:18 PM »
all emulators?
What happens when you run individual emulators from the command prompt?

akafox

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 09:09:12 PM »
Same thing "illegal instruction" from the lxterminal..haven't tried in the frame buffer..but am won't work without x so i didn't bother trying the frame buffer.

All emulators=mame4all and advmame..i've not tried with any others..the only ones that work that are not retroarch based is snes9x anyway..or am i wrong there?

Haven't tried advmess yet....
People want life easy..then complain about it

bionictoothpick

• He who laughs lasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 01:55:03 PM »
How easy is it to update the image once it is installed? I'm currently using recalbox, but I like to try different things.

Maouu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 02:19:08 PM »
Is there a version 1.6 of the RPI !?

Thanks.

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 06:48:03 AM »
No.
But I've been thinking of updating my images with retroarch/Libretro mame 2003 (.78) and the latest attract mode.
That version of mame has better compatibility than mame4all and it isn't hindered by the lack of sdl hardware acceleration under X like advanced mame is.

Gimmie a week or two & i'll get some new images done up in my spare time.

robertybob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 04:26:05 PM »
No.
But I've been thinking of updating my images with retroarch/Libretro mame 2003 (.78) and the latest attract mode.
That version of mame has better compatibility than mame4all and it isn't hindered by the lack of sdl hardware acceleration under X like advanced mame is.

Gimmie a week or two & i'll get some new images done up in my spare time.

Looking forward to it!  ;D

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2016, 08:09:23 AM »
I have attractmode & retroarch mame 2003 installed and running on the latest dietpi distro for my RPI1
Along with the retro-pi install script.

I still need to clean up a few things and autoload attractmode and install the GPIO shutdown script.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I can leave the dependencies installed so you can compile newer version of AM.

I'm thinking of ditching LXDE & making TWM or JWM the default window manager to get a few more MB of ram free on the rpi1.
I'll make sure the right-click menu is properly populated so you can still run things.

Thoughts?

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2016, 11:56:42 AM »
MY WISHLIST :)
- boot straight into AM
- nice graphical boot screen (all text hidden)
- installed drivers for XBOX 360 and ps3 controlers
- (maybe) within AM a shortcut to run full X desktop for tinkering in GUI

---

If you want to save up more memory - you can use "nodm" as a display manager - it is really lightweight. And using it resolves problem with visible desktop when starting game - because there is no desktop, just black screen.

nodm = minimal display manager (on top of X) without chrome (windows decorations)

sudo apt-get install nodm

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2016, 01:10:10 PM »
Boot to AM will be setup.
Graphical screen at boot...I think the retropie script will do this. I can set it up then use one of the attract mode screens on the forum.
retropie script will install all gamepad drivers if you run it but I i can install them since I don't think it will add too much to the size of the image.

Once you exit AM you'll be at the desktop so you can tinker then.
nodm - I will take a look at that with possibly matchbox WM, but it may be easier to just go the JWM route.

verion

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • new projects
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 04:00:32 PM »
sounds great!

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 05:53:41 PM »
hey nitrogen_widget, if you can get ffmpeg 2.8 or later on there built with the --enable-mmal option then attract-mode should be able to make use of the pi's hardware accelerated video decoding...

see: https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/tutorial-build-or-download-ffmpeg-libavcodec-with-mmal-support-hardware-acceleration-video-decoding/3565

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2016, 08:29:22 PM »
hey nitrogen_widget, if you can get ffmpeg 2.8 or later on there built with the --enable-mmal option then attract-mode should be able to make use of the pi's hardware accelerated video decoding...

see: https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/tutorial-build-or-download-ffmpeg-libavcodec-with-mmal-support-hardware-acceleration-video-decoding/3565

Challenge accepted.

robertybob

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2016, 01:48:42 AM »

Challenge accepted.

Yes please! and also +1 for "xboxdrv" as I would love to use my 2 Xbox 360 controllers  ;D

nitrogen_widget

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2016, 07:36:13 AM »
I just wonder if the ffmpeg acceleration works on the rpi 1.
They are both the same GPU so it should.....

FYI guy's the retropie script included on the image does so many wonderful things.
You need to check it out.
you can install all these drivers NOW instead of waiting for me.
I have like one night a week (maybe) when I can take the time to sit down & putter around with my RPI's.