Author Topic: Looking for a prebuilt RPI3B+ IMG SINGLE ROM Load directly to one MAME game.  (Read 17358 times)

pibuilder

• View Profile
Did you try to edit it on the Pi itself by nano /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg ?

No I don't really like to edit / make any changes that way, I lack the Pi confidence... Again so far for the games I'm using it for I haven't ran into an issue however this for would be nice to clear that dumb screen. I know how to do it I just don't understand why it isn't saving the setting. I can get back into Emulation Station if it can be done that way, I think that's how I did it on my other "Attract Mode" many roms build I can't remember.

Favdeacon

• View Profile
Did you try to edit it on the Pi itself by nano /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg ?

No I don't really like to edit / make any changes that way, I lack the Pi confidence...

Yet, it may help to diagnose and/or solve the problem, in case something is wrong with the other methods. nano is just a text editor for the console, like Notepad. So, the above command doesn't do anything you didn't do before by editing the file with Notepad, or overwrite it with an edited version using WinSCP.

Alternatively, you could install an ssh client for Windows, log into your pi (like WinSCP does) via ssh, and use nano this way from your PC.

edit: Another alternative to see if the file is written correctly would be to just show its contents on the Pi itself by this command:

Code: [Select]
less /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

In less, you can browse the file with the cursor keys and PgUp/Down, and exit with "q".

As always, I'm not trying to force you to do anything, just giving suggestions that I think might help.  :)

Again so far for the games I'm using it for I haven't ran into an issue however this for would be nice to clear that dumb screen. I know how to do it I just don't understand why it isn't saving the setting. I can get back into Emulation Station if it can be done that way, I think that's how I did it on my other "Attract Mode" many roms build I can't remember.

I think that Emulation Station won't help in this case, because the option Skip Warnings in part of RetroArch's core options you can only access via RA's configuration menu when the particular core (here: MAME) is loaded, i.e. a MAME game is running. The standard button combination to access the RA menu is "Select + B" – if you set the "Hotkey" in Emulation Station to be the same button as "Select" (as most people do, it is a kind-of-standard).

In the RA menu, the option Skip Warnings is located in the Quick Menu, in its submenu Options (Quick Menu > Options > Skip Warnings). Maybe it helps to set it there.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 10:49:29 PM by Favdeacon »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Just my 2 cents but why are you even using the runcommand if you're not using ES (EmulationStation) or AM (Attract-Mode)? Why not modify your autostart.sh to natively launch RA (RetroArch) and then you can use the "-c" switch to specify the retroarch.cfg file which has the "mame2003-skip_warnings = "disabled"" entry? By using the RP (RetroPie) launching scripts you're just mudding the water and making things more complex due to their structured .cfg file hierarchy.

I'll also mention that by default, RA disables saving changes to its config file. To change this you need to modify RA either manually through the retroarch.cfg file or using the RA GUI.

retroarch.cfg
Code: [Select]
config_save_on_exit = "true"
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 11:22:29 PM by progets »

Favdeacon

• View Profile
Just my 2 cents but why are you even using the runcommand if you're not using ES (EmulationStation) or AM (Attract-Mode)?

Short answer: Because I told him to. ;) But I didn't have any particular reason for that besides familarity on my side, and because ES provides an easy way to configure the controls once for most RetroPi emulators (mainly all RA cores).

BUT that said, there's no real reason to not just start RA directly.

I'll also mention that by default, RA disables saving changes to its config file. To change this you need to modify RA either manually through the retroarch.cfg file or using the RA GUI.

I don't like this option very much, since it's easy to save messed-up configurations after playing around with the options. I use the manual saving function of the RA menu instead, to protect me from my own daftness.

Just my 2 cents in addition to yours. :)