Author Topic: Attract Mode freezing on me (solved)  (Read 24937 times)

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Attract Mode freezing on me (solved)
« on: November 18, 2014, 12:22:56 PM »
I'm using Windows 8.1 and download attract-mode from the link on the home page. It is supposed to be release 1.4.1 but when I run attract-mode and press tab, it says 1.4.0.

Anyways, as soon as I press a down|up|left|right attract-mode freezes and does not respond. I have to force quit the app via task manager. It did not do this before. Any way I can diagnose what is going on? I thought maybe I messed up a config file or something, so I created another folder, copy the zip file content into it, and no difference. How can I diagnose what is going on?

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Attract Mode freezing on me
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 07:01:21 AM »
Anyone? Is there a log file or something?

liquid8d

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 09:39:00 AM »
As much as I can help...

I am using Win 8.1 - so I don't think the problem is there.

I don't know if "1.4.1" actually changed version numbers anywhere that I have seen, so that's probably not a big deal.

When you run attract, there is a separate cmd prompt window shown behind the scenes that outputs some info. Try doing tab -> General -> Window Mode and change it to Window so you can see this.

Also important to troubleshooting:
Are you using the default layout?
What changes did you make to your config files?
Has it already generated your rom list?
Left/Right (the last keys you are pressing) by default change lists, so it may be having trouble re-loading whatever list you are on.. see what the output in the cmd window when that happens.

Hope this helps..
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:43:38 AM by liquid8d »

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 07:07:19 AM »
As much as I can help...

I am using Win 8.1 - so I don't think the problem is there.

I don't know if "1.4.1" actually changed version numbers anywhere that I have seen, so that's probably not a big deal.

When you run attract, there is a separate cmd prompt window shown behind the scenes that outputs some info. Try doing tab -> General -> Window Mode and change it to Window so you can see this.

Also important to troubleshooting:
Are you using the default layout?
What changes did you make to your config files?
Has it already generated your rom list?
Left/Right (the last keys you are pressing) by default change lists, so it may be having trouble re-loading whatever list you are on.. see what the output in the cmd window when that happens.

Hope this helps..

Thank you liquid8d. I set attractmode in windowed mode. Terminal window showed nothing. However, I noticed that attract-mode was working when I pressed the arrow keys, instead of freezing like before. I set it back to fill screen and it is working fine. I have no idea what happened, but thank you for the idea that solved my issue.  ;)

raygun

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Attract Mode freezing on me (solved)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 10:39:51 PM »
strange!  Well hopefully it keeps working for you now... :)