Author Topic: Create a master romlist to enable multi-emulator searching, filtering & tagging  (Read 34097 times)

Mattyduk

• View Profile
Worked perfectly. Thanks

rrussell50

• View Profile
wow thank you for this, I've been looking for this solution for a long time,   Is this the easiest method to create a custom collection list? 

For instance I want to group all of my favorite Street Fighter Games together for use on a theme I already have downloaded, all of the games are under their original system folders but I would like to have them together under their own theme would this be the best method?   Or would it be easier to create the xml on my PC and then just import it over?

Thanks

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
wow thank you for this, I've been looking for this solution for a long time,   Is this the easiest method to create a custom collection list? 

For instance I want to group all of my favorite Street Fighter Games together for use on a theme I already have downloaded, all of the games are under their original system folders but I would like to have them together under their own theme would this be the best method?   Or would it be easier to create the xml on my PC and then just import it over?

Thanks

I recommend this method because it can all be done from the AM GUI. It's also the only method that will allow you to search games across all systems in AM. The multi system filtering and search makes it easy to build your customs lists and will contain the metadata from your systems lists.

You can manually create a list by hand but most people that do this leave out the metadata for: year, manufacturer, genre, number of players, etc.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 12:25:08 PM by progets »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
@moderators - What happened to this original post?

P.P.S. If anyone has the original post, please re-post it.

Update - I replaced the OP with the help of hermine.potter. When I went to edit the post, it was there but had messed up characters (maybe for the migration?)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:12:12 PM by progets »

hermine.potter

• View Profile
AM Version : 2.6.1
Input : Mad Catz Brawlstick; Mouse; Keyboard; Xbox360 Wireless
Cabinet : Yes
System : Dell Precision T3500 ; Intel X5650 ; 12GB RAM

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

dukpoki

• View Profile
This is a great old post with tons of great info.  With that said, if I make a single master "arcade" list with let's say 3 systems (Mame, Atomiswave using Demul, and Naomi using Nulldc), then how do I create a filter so that I can select only Mame games, or only Naomi games in the list?  Is it even possible?

I've tried something like this which does NOT work:
    Target=Emulator
    Comparison=contains
    Filter Value=Naomi
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 11:15:33 AM by dukpoki »

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
This is a great old post with tons of great info.  With that said, if I make a single master "arcade" list with let's say 3 systems (Mame, Atomiswave using Demul, and Naomi using Nulldc), then how do I create a filter so that I can select only Mame games, or only Naomi games in the list?  Is it even possible?

I've tried something like this which does NOT work:
    Target=Emulator
    Comparison=contains
    Filter Value=Naomi

It looks right and works for me. Post the first 50 lines of your arcade.txt romlist.

dukpoki

• View Profile
Okay I figured it out.

I was actually doing this.

Target=Emulator
    Comparison=contains
    Filter Value=Arcade (Naomi)

or

Target=Emulator
    Comparison=contains
    Filter Value="Arcade (Naomi)"

I see the problem was having the space (2 words or more).  And doing the quotation marks didn't fix it either.  Simply putting "Naomi" works enough though.  So is there absolutely no way to have multiple words as a value in the Filter Value field?

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Okay I figured it out.

I was actually doing this.

Target=Emulator
    Comparison=contains
    Filter Value=Arcade (Naomi)

or

Target=Emulator
    Comparison=contains
    Filter Value="Arcade (Naomi)"

I see the problem was having the space (2 words or more).  And doing the quotation marks didn't fix it either.  Simply putting "Naomi" works enough though.  So is there absolutely no way to have multiple words as a value in the Filter Value field?

Yes, you can have spaces and/or use multiple words in the Filter Value Field. The issue with your rule is actually the parentheses "(" and ")". You must escape a parentheses with a backslash.

Your rule should read like this
Code: [Select]
    Target=Emulator
    Comparison=contains
    Filter Value=Arcade \(Naomi\)

Here's a similar post with the same type of issue. http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=2499.msg17050#msg17050

dukpoki

• View Profile
Ahh so that's the trick.  Thanks a lot.  It all makes sense now!

spud1

• View Profile
Hi projets

If you wanted a filter for "most played games", is it limited to Mame only or does it extend to games that are invoked by other emulators? 

I ask this because the documentation for Attract Mode suggests that catver.ini is necessary for a "most played games" filter.

Thanks.

progets

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hi projets

If you wanted a filter for "most played games", is it limited to Mame only or does it extend to games that are invoked by other emulators? 

I ask this because the documentation for Attract Mode suggests that catver.ini is necessary for a "most played games" filter.

Thanks.

You can have a "most played games" filter for any emulator/display, it's not limited to MAME or a catver.ini. These statistics are stored by AttractMode based on the "romlist" used to run the games.

Keep in mind the context of this post. An "All Games" romlist will store its statistics separately from your individual romlists (i.e. NES, SMS, etc.).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 03:53:50 AM by progets »

spud1

• View Profile
Thanks, progets.  I now understand.

manzarek

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Fantastic  ;D
Mame Fighting