Author Topic: Elegante theme showcase [example video and screenshots] [WIP]  (Read 46797 times)

Jaski

• View Profile
Im glad to present the attract mode theme named:

(elegant in spanish)

· WHAT IS ELEGANTE?

Its a theme focused on art and visuals, but also, in functionality, responsiveness and speed. Its thought to work on ANY system, not needing a strong CPU or GPU..

His name, Elegante (elegant in spanish), is because the goal is to run soft and light but keeping looking nice, with an elegant and efficient code.

· FEATURES

-One strong point about this theme is that has only 1 layout but many displays. The theme itself is capable of distinguish the different categories of the frontend, preventig to force the user to use many different .nut files to apply on the different systems and categories. Its literally a all-in-1 theme.

-A text that shows the system and game counter like EmuStation or Batocera.

-A multi-filter menu to filter games by his genre/category and sort them with different parameters.

-The theme can read and parse a gamelist.xml generated by Skrapper, automatically making the romlist text file and all the tags for each game. There is no need for catver or anything else file to take the game categories, the xml reader implemented on the theme can extract all the info himself.

-Audio player integrated.

-Game editor integrated on the theme that has all the AM default edit_game function and also the option to add/edit/delete game categories that the multifilter uses; and also the option to delete the game, snap, description or stats.

-A fully customized stats system that overrides the AM one, giving more functions like take the last day and hour a game was played, and to make displays with the last played games or the most played games.

-The theme has a function to change between 3 regions (North America / Europe / Japan). Changing the region makes the theme automaticly updates the arts, showing the correct names and console images for every region. For example, if you choose North America, u will see TurboGrafx 16 and the classic black model of USA, but, if you pick Japan, instead of TurboGrafx, u will see PC Engine and the classic white model.

-7 languages (english, spanish, galician, italian, french, deutsch and portugese).

-The theme is absolutely compatible with Skraper. To add new games is as easy as paste the rom in the rom directory, scrap it with Skrapper (only with the option to take "4 mix image") and then just pass a python file that i will include with the theme. Doing these 3 steps, u will have the game in the library, totally functional, with the preview image and all the info and overview showed in the theme.

-The theme comes with a full set of bezels that fits with the theme style. The bezels are compatible with all the popular emulators (retroarch, MAME, etc).

-The theme is highly customizable and easy to edit. To add new functionalities like add new systems, add an access to a program linking a shortcut or create a new game list, it takes no more than 4-5 words in 2 archives (romlist.txt & attract.cfg). OFC the theme will come with a guide on how to scrape artwork and how to modify a system, a gamelist or the entire theme itself.

-It works as portable distribution. Only putting the attract mode directory on the root of the unit, the theme will work. There is no need to use the Windows hard drive, it works in every drive, and the roms are stored inside the attract mode folder (this can be easily modified if some user needs to store the roms in a different folder). The entire folder can be moved or coppied, and used in other systems, and all will work without need to change anything. Its extreme easy to share and to use in new systems (just copy-paste).

-The theme reads the songs stored in the "Sounds" folder and displays a message when a new sound is played with the title of the song.

-Real time date and time in the top of the main menu.

-To resume all points, its not just a theme, is almost a complete new distribution running in Attrac Mode and trying to take the most possible potential of Squirrel's script language.

· VIDEO PREVIEWS

There are some sample videos to show the functionality of the theme. (note: in the first video there are some black screens when a game is launched or when return to the frontend, this is caused by OBS. In the real function of the theme, there is NO blackscreens or lags, the functionality is 100%).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQzpM5n9Xw8 - Some navigation and games loading.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ihiwscy5gs - New implementations, navigation and fully customizable options.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACxaXYswpRg - ROM list system funtionallity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYK_u3ssLE - New settings and stats layout, and some perfomance improvement cause code debbuging. Maybe the last one of the alphas, hope to soon start with the public betas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z330vw8Awtk - Finalized stats layout and new "last played games" display. Example of the internal scraper working, reading a full .xml file and making the entire romlist.txt file, get the overviews and categories for each games, and configures a full set of game genre filters and game sort options. New options inside the theme like parse the games by genre, apply automatic filters, disable categories or systems and automatic refreshing ROM counter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhJi3segRLI - New arcade cabinet, music manager, stats display load instantly, possibility to enable/disable categories, new internal stats-per-game that stores more values than the original AM stats, new displays: last played and most played, game descriptions dinamic scroll on joystick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27WY0SrviY0[/b][/size] - Reworked and functional controller display. Reworked settings. Added multifilters. New sorting options for gamelists. Improvements on various displays and in the music player.  Added game and category editor. Big code debug to make the theme work better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gc0FqJCaSI - Animated screensaver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B8EvPCCVYg - Full rework with more smoothness and 0 time load. New settings and filter features. New collections.

· SREENSHOTS GALLERY

· DISPLAYS AND CONFIGS INCLUDED

#MENU
-Home Consoles
-Handhelds
-Computers
-Arcades
-Steam
-PC
-Collections
-Last played games
-Most played games
-TV
-Settings
-Exit attract mode

#SETTINGS
-Options
-Controls
-Stats

#HOME CONSOLES > emulator configured
-Epoch Cassette Vision
-Fairchild Channel F > mame
-Atari 2600 > retroarch
-Bally Astrocade
-Interton Video Computer 4000 > win arcadia
-APF-MP1000
-Magnavox Odyssey2 > mame
-Mattel Intellivision > mame
-Atari 5200 > retroarch
-Emerson Arcadia 2001 > win arcadia
-VTech CreatiVision > mame
-ColecoVision > retroarch
-Vectrex > mame
-Sega SG-1000 > retroarch
-Magnavox Odyssey3
-Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) > retroarch
-Casio PV-1000 > mame
-Epoch Super Cassette Vision > mame
-Sega Master System > retroarch
-Atari 7800 > retroarch
-Atari XEGS
-Amstrad GX4000 > mame
-NEC Turbografx 16 > retroarch
-Sega Genesis > retroarch
-SNK Neo-Geo AES > mame
-Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) > retroarch
-Philips CD-i
-Pioneer LaserActive
-FM Towns Marty
--Commodore Amiga CD32 > retroarch
-3DO Interactive Multiplayer > retroarch
-Sega Genesis 32X > retroarch
-Atari Jaguar > retroarch
-Sega Saturn > retroarch
-NEC PC-FX
-Sony PlayStation > retroarch
-Casio Loopy
-Apple-Bandai Pippin
-Nintendo 64 > retroarch
-Sega Dreamcast > retroarch
-Sony PlayStation 2 > pcsx2
-Nintendo Gamecube > retroarch
-Microsoft X-Box
-Microsoft X-Box 360
-Nintendo Wii > retroarch
-Sony PlayStation 3
-Nintendo Wii U > cemu
-Nintendo Switch

#HANDHELDS > emulator configured
-Nintendo Game & Watch > mame
-Nintendo Game Boy > retroarch
-Atari Lynx > retroarch
-Sega Game Gear > retroarch
-NEC TurboExpress > retroarch
-Gamate
-Watara Supervision > mame
-Mega Duck > mame
-Hartung Game Master > mame
-Sega Genesis Nomad > retroarch
-Tiger game.com > mame
-Neo-Geo Pocket > retroarch
-Game Boy Color > retroarch
-WonderSwan > retroarch
-WonderSwan Color > retroarch
-Neo-Geo Pocket Color > retroarch
-Game Boy Advance > retroarch
-Nokia N-Gage
-Nintendo DS > retroarch
-Sony PSP > retroarch
-Nintendo 3DS > retroarch
-Sony PS Vita

#Computers > emulator configured
-Apple 1
-Apple ][ > applewin
-Sinclair ZX 80
-Apple ///
-Sinclair ZX 81 > retroarch
-Commodore 64 > retroarch
-Sinclair ZX Spectrum > retroarch
-MSX > retroarch
-Amstrad CPC > retroarch
-MSX 2 > retroarch
-Commodore Amiga > retroarch
-Apple Lisa
-Atari ST > retroarch

#ARCADES > emulator configured
-MAME > mame
-Namco System 21 > mame
-Capcom CPS 1 > mame
-SNK Neo-Geo MVS > mame
-Sega Model 1 > mame
-Namco System 22 > mame
-Capcom CPS 2 > mame
-Sega Model 2 > m2emulator
-Namco System 11 > mame
-Namco System 12 > mame
-Capcom CPS 3 > cps3
-Sega Model 3 > supermodel
-Namco System 23 > mame
-Sega NAOMI > retroarch
-Sega Hikaru > demul
-Namco System 10
-Namco System 246
-Namco / Sega / Nintendo - Triforce > dolphin
-Sega Chihiro
-Atomiswave > retroarch
-Taito Type X
-Sega Lindbergh
-Taito Type X2
-Namco System 357
-Taito Type X3
-Namco System N2

#PC > games in the subsections runs directly with shortcuts that AM and the theme can read in a specified folder
-PC Games
-Steam
-Origin
-Epic Games Launcher
-Uplay
-GOG

#COLLECTIONS
-Bomberman
-Bubble Bobble
-Castlevania
-Crash Bandicoot
-DC Universe
-Donkey Kong
-Dragon Ball
-Fatal Fury
-FIFA
-Final Fantasy
-Kirby
-Super Mario
-Mario Kart
-MARVEL universe
-Megaman
-Metroid
-Mortal Kombat
-Naruto
-Need for Speed
-Ninja Gaiden
-Pokémon
-Samurai Shodown
-Sonic The Hedgeog
-Soul Calibur
-Star Wars
-Street Fighter
-Tekken
-The King of Fighters
-The Legend of Zelda
-Tomb Raider
-Tony Hawk's
-Wario
-Worms
->you can add your own game list and make your favourite game sagas and collections

#TV > same as with the PC section, with a simple shortcut, you can easily add programs and stuff and run it inside Attract Mode
-Disney+
-Kodi
-Netflix
-Prime Video
-Browser
-Twitch
-YouTube

· PLANNED FEATURES

-Feature to rotate screen and automatically adjust elements positions and scales. An option too for enable the user to select a workarea where the user define the width and height and the theme auto-center horizontally and vertically. DONE

-Rework the arcade cabinet to a 3D model. DONE

-Icons instead of text for game genres. DONE

-An utility or an option to automatically make the folder structure, move it or select diferent folders or HDDs to store the roms. DONE

-Option to control background sound (mute / next track / prev track). DONE

-Game filters: genre / number of players / alphabetical -- game sorting options: alphabetical / time played / year of release / developer DONE

-System filters: systems with games / systems disableds or without games / all systems -- sorting options year of release / alphabetical / developer / by numer of roms. DONE

-Options to enable-disable systems and categories. DONE

-A submenu for adjusts to override the Attract Mode options menu and configure options of the theme directly on. DONE

-A settings option where you can setup universal controls for every single emulator linked to the theme (this is possible thanks to the squirrel file() module and the capability to write text (and .ini) files).

-A display for staticstics which show total time played, most played games, last played games, and more stats. DONE

-Rework the game section to use a better looking list instead of the ugly default listbot. DONE

-Add a option to count roms and store it in a text file that the theme will use as database. DONE

-A option in a overlay that check what systems have games in and what are empty, making 2 lists for the filters, 1 with all the systems, and another with only the systems that have games. DONE

-A bottom bar to show help about button functions. DONE

-Bypass the AM stats for games with an internal that saves more data. DONE

-Store the stats dinamically in a internal database, so that makes the Stats display load instant. DONE

-A user login system, each one with his own databases, settings and stats.

-A fast tutorial that shows when the user starts the theme for the first time.

-A editor overlay to dinamically config game parameters and categories. DONE

· FINAL THOUGHTS

Im working on finish it, but, there is the important part. If you want to help to developt the theme, all help will be welcome.

When i finish the theme, i will let it free to the community, this will be a community theme, i will share the entire code and raw archives, for everyone who wants to modify, or upgrade it, to ensure that this theme wont die if for some reason i cant get time to mantain it (like happens with a lot of emulator, frontends or themes). I want to make this the deffinitive theme for attract mode and gift it to the community to make it ethernal and always updated. Hope, in the future, publishing this in github, the community can keep this work alive and updated.

Hope you liked the theme and sorry about my english (if someone wants to make a better text for this thread, i will edit it gratefully).

Here is my email, if someone wants to contact me to help to developt the theme and to send hit the necessary files: jaskigz@gmail.com
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:24:14 PM by Jaski »

Dexther

• View Profile
Re: Showcase of elegante theme [Video inside]
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 02:10:46 PM »
Me gusta !
I like !!!

Jaski

• View Profile
Re: Showcase of elegante theme [Video inside]
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 06:41:52 PM »
BUMP with new info and new implementations on the theme.

taelonian

• View Profile
Re: Elegante theme showcase [example video and screenshots] [WIP]
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 07:19:25 AM »
Me gusta  ;)
Nice theme waiting for release to try

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 12:08:38 PM »
One suggestion, you definitely do not want arcade games with a widescreen monitor. That's taboo.

Jaski

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 03:21:27 PM »
One suggestion, you definitely do not want arcade games with a widescreen monitor. That's taboo.

I know man, but think that no everyone can has a cabinet or a CRT in their house, and people want to play arcade too in their TVs or PCs.
That's why i made a preconfigured full set of bezels for every single emulator the theme includes, with the same images and style of the theme. People can play the games and keep the 4:3 resolutions without ugly black bars  ;D

keilmillerjr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 09:04:01 PM »

I know man, but think that no everyone can has a cabinet or a CRT in their house, and people want to play arcade too in their TVs or PCs.
That's why i made a preconfigured full set of bezels for every single emulator the theme includes, with the same images and style of the theme. People can play the games and keep the 4:3 resolutions without ugly black bars  ;D

I was referencing your layout. It has a generic cabinet with a widescreen monitor, stretching the image.

Jaski

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 07:14:05 AM »

I was referencing your layout. It has a generic cabinet with a widescreen monitor, stretching the image.

Wow, true man. I will change it ASAP.
Thanks!!

---> edit: i reworked the cabinet following your tip. THANKS!

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 11:09:33 PM by Jaski »

Jaski

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 04:38:24 AM »
BUMP with a new video demo. This time, is a video to show the functionality and responsiveness of the theme, with the new animations and the module that automatically count ROMS and systems in real time.

(there is no music on the video, its only to show the theme working)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ihiwscy5gs

Im finishing the alpha, so, soon i will start to give betas to interested ones.
If someone want want to be a close beta tester, please let me know in this post or sending me a PM.

Jaski

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 02:06:29 PM »
BUMP, this time with a video showing the new rom list. A listing with entire new code instead of using the classic and basic romlist() feature. This makes possible the implementation of features like animations, background images and different possitions of the list entrys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACxaXYswpRg

Still i need some more testers for the teme and suggestions to improve the theme. If you are interested on test the beta, or you have a nice idea and want to see it realized on a attract mode theme, just PM me  ;D

Dexther

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 02:58:20 PM »
a beta are possibile to download ?

Jaski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 02:29:34 AM »
By the moment, i will only betas to interested user. I sent you a PM with the link.

This is because the work is not finished, and i dont want people take bad feelings about the theme. I will publish an open beta when the theme is tested and its running on the majority of usual systems.

·ATM i have this test:
PC - Windows 10 + Monitor 16:9 (1920x1080) - > Native res on what theme was coded.
PC - Windows 10 + Monitor 16:9 (all res) - > OK
PC - Windows 10 + TV 49" 16:9 -> OK

I would like to test in Linux distributions (and other machines like Raspberries, etc) and, ofc, in arcade cabinets and other resolutions, specially 4:3 res.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 02:33:55 AM by Jaski »

gilberto0301

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 06:33:27 PM »
It looks great! How did you do to count ROMs? Could you send me your WIP please?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 06:35:14 PM by gilberto0301 »

Jaski

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 07:33:02 PM »
It looks great! How did you do to count ROMs? Could you send me your WIP please?

I did in 2 ways, its a configurable option.

1 way is a real time checker, scanning the romlist .txt files and showing how many lines without # the file has.
The other way is to do the same as the first, but only when the user pick a option for scan roms, then the theme store the info in a .txt file with the name of the system and the number of roms.

The first way is automatic, but eats CPU and RAM when the system has to manage large rom sets. The second way, need user interaction to update, but its way faster, cause the system only needs to read a few lines from a single .txt

Yeah ofc i send you a link to test the teme. Take in care that is a beta in his early development, so expecto some bugs and problems. Please, let me know your feedback to depure the issues and make the faster possible a stable release that can share to everyone.

Jaski

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 02:08:42 PM »
Stats layout done, fully functional.

The first public release is coming  ;D