Author Topic: Assigning an Emulator  (Read 3165 times)

Tobas

• View Profile
Assigning an Emulator
« on: August 21, 2019, 07:51:54 PM »
Hi there. So I created a new category for nes hacks. I added the system to the wheel, the roms and directory are set, but I have no idea how to tell the NES/Fami emulator to open the roms in that directory. can anyone help me out?

rand0m

• View Profile
Re: Assigning an Emulator
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 08:54:35 PM »
If its a category then it should be in actual romlist like nes, so you should edit NES.cfg in AM\emulators and add the path to hacks in Rompath (use ; after old path and add the new one). Then regenerate the list.

I think you mean a new system (because you added a wheel) then:

1- Add NES_Hacks.cfg (or any name) in AM\Emulators. You can copy from actual NES system and change the rompath to where rom hacks are and change path to artworks.
2- Open AM go to setting > emulators > nes_hacks (same as .cfg you made in AM\emulators) > generate romlist

and you are done.

If you are using more then one layout/theme Go to Displays > NES_Hacks > Layout and change it accordingly.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 09:07:23 PM by rand0m »

Tobas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 10:53:42 AM »
thing is I have no idea how to get into AM/emulators. when I SSH into the pi I only get four folders to choose from, bios, roms, configs, and themes I think? how do I get to that directory? the roms are recognized which is fine, but I tried to just copy the executable path from the NES emulator category but it was opt/runcommand/runcommand.sh and that did nothing.

edit: can I just add the path to the executable? like opt/emulators/fceum.exe or whatever for example? and if so, do you know where the executables are (path)?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 10:56:04 AM by Tobas »

Tobas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 06:52:36 PM »
this is what happens when I try to open an NES file in my separate hacks folder.

https://imgur.com/a/efKch0o

rand0m

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 09:37:15 PM »
this is what happens when I try to open an NES file in my separate hacks folder.

https://imgur.com/a/efKch0o

I have no first hand experience with pi, perhaps some one with more knowledge can guide you. In any case if you can open settings in Attract-Mode then all of the above can be done by going to emulator > nes > edit rompath (add the path to nes_hacks after ; ) and then re-generate list. This will add nes_hacks to your nes collection/ system.

This guide might be of assistance, specially points 8 & 9 > http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=157731.0

Another detailed guide by forum member akafox > http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1777.0
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 09:42:20 PM by rand0m »

iOtero

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 03:22:14 AM »
First, know what operating system you are using on the pi, then we talk...  8)

I'm afraid of the worst...  :-[
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 03:27:13 AM by iOtero »
Nacer a los 15 años Una novela de iOtero

Tobas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 05:41:41 PM »
the roms will load fine on emulation station, but attract mode will not work no matter what I try

iOtero

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 03:22:41 AM »
the roms will load fine on emulation station, but attract mode will not work no matter what I try

I mean, you use Retropie...

I already said that i feared the worst...

Well you should ask in the Retropie forum, here i don't know if there will be any experts in Retropie.

What i do know is that Retropie work well with EmulationStation, and what they have done to make Attract-Mode work in their s.o. It is not a standard installation, but a very personal one of yours, to use it as if it were ES, which has nothing to do with anything from the original AM installation...

Nothing that is usually done with Attract-Mode is the same in Retropie, Batocera or Recalbox... Those are worlds far from Attract-Mode...

Attract-Mode works perfectly only with Raspbian, RetroArch and many other emulators, Attract-Mode does not need at all operating systems that were created for a different frontend and that do not install Attract-Mode correctly.

So i cannot help you.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 05:19:04 AM by iOtero »
Nacer a los 15 años Una novela de iOtero